BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > NEW RELEASE: Dinan Adjustable Coil Over Kit for the F87 M2 (HAS)

Closed Thread

08-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: Dinan Adjustable Coil Over Kit for the F87 M2 (HAS)

Name:  F87_M2_SuspensionHeaderSmall.jpg
Views: 2555
Size:  291.9 KB

Dinan F87 M2 Adjustable Coil Over Suspension Kit

Part Number: D190-8701
Applications: 2016+ F87 M2 Coupe
Product Page / Pricing: http://www.dinancars.com/product/d19...ries&mid=1243/
Release Date: Today, August 19th, 2016.

Description: For the driver that demands the best out of their vehicle. The Dinan Adjustable Coil-Over Suspension was bred in the race lab but refined on the street for maximum versatility. No matter the environment, the traction that is bestowed upon the vehicle from the improved suspension will inspire new found confidence when running at higher speeds. Combined with a substantial reduction in body roll as well as reducing dive under breaking and squat under acceleration. Dinan will guarantee you superior handling, performance, and comfort. Dinans design implements threaded collars to allow the user to change the ride height. The end result is a sleek lowered stance that provides improved handling to go along with its stunning visual appearance. The springs combined with progressive bump stops and other components increase travel that allows the car to be lowered up to an 1" in the front and 1-1/2" in the rear. Suspension packers are included to fine tune handling and comfort by changing the clearance of the progressive bump-stops, something no respectable race car is without. Components are machined from 6061-T6 aluminum and black anodized for appearance and corrosion protection.

We are not simply taking the M4 kit and saying it applies to the M2 but instead have engineered a revised kit specifically for the M2 and its unique geometry.

Benefits of Dinan's High Performance Adjustable Coil-Over Suspension System:
  • Threaded collars allow easy and precise front & rear vehicle height adjustments.
  • Up to 1" of lowering in front and 1 1/2" of lowering in back are possible depending on tire clearance although 3/4" drop in front and a 1/2" drop in the rear is recommended to maintain a civilized ride.
  • Spring rates are nearly 18% stiffer in front and 5% stiffer in the rear.
  • Helper Springs are used in the rear to maintain proper suspension operation under droop conditions.
  • Substantial reduction in body roll.
  • Included suspension packers allow adjustment of bump-stop clearance to fine-tune handling and comfort.
  • Dinan-spec progressive bump stops improve ride quality at lowered ride heights.
  • Components are machined from 6061-T6 aluminum and black anodized for a sporty appearance as well as corrosion protection.
  • Stock upper spring mounts are utilized for quiet operation.

Please Note: Due to the extensive lowering possible, and the increased suspension travel, the installer must carefully evaluate tire clearance under all situations. Safety will be compromised if all precautions are not taken. Dinan is not responsible for any property damage or injury.
Appreciate 2
Y148.00
      08-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

A well thought out and affordable package!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
///MIKE M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Interesting. So this is an M2 designed kit as opposed to being the same part number as the M3/4 KW HAS kit used for an M2.

These seem to go slightly lower in the rear than the KW HAS as well.

What height is the M2 in the photo on the website?? (FR and R)

I don't understand how it is almost double the price of the KW HAS kit. At this price point your getting into MP coilover money. If this was closer to the other spring setups/HAS I would highly consider it.

EDIT-- Just looked up the F80 similar set-up that you offer is $1199 and the F10 M5 is $1299....the M2 is more for the same thing?? If anything I'd expect it to come in more affordable not more expensive.

I was just about to pull the trigger on KW HAS, but was concerned that they really aren't designed for the M2. These are designed for the M2, but I don't see how that's worth double the price....

Last edited by ///MIKE M; 08-20-2016 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Look, I know how you feel as cheaper is better as to my wallet. However, as a small business owner myself with 20 employees, rent, etc., it takes time + R&D to do this right. Considering how few Dinan will sell to recover its time investment ($$$ in employee time and related overhead) coupled with its experience and reputation, I think this is money well spent for a M2 specific package. Not to mention, Dinan is known for standing behind its products.

For myself, I am definitely buying Tune, Intake, Exhaust (very affordable), and IC when it is out. I am debating this system versus M performance coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Yeah I have never been a huge fan of Dinan performance parts but will definitely be getting these instead of the M Performance coilovers and with the money saved I'll get the Dinan sway bar kit as well
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MIKE M View Post
Interesting. So this is an M2 designed kit as opposed to being the same part number as the M3/4 KW HAS kit used for an M2.

These seem to go slightly lower in the rear than the KW HAS as well.

What height is the M2 in the photo on the website?? (FR and R)

I don't understand how it is almost double the price of the KW HAS kit. At this price point your getting into MP coilover money. If this was closer to the other spring setups/HAS I would highly consider it.

EDIT-- Just looked up the F80 similar set-up that you offer is $1199 and the F10 M5 is $1299....the M2 is more for the same thing?? If anything I'd expect it to come in more affordable not more expensive.

I was just about to pull the trigger on KW HAS, but was concerned that they really aren't designed for the M2. These are designed for the M2, but I don't see how that's worth double the price....
The car on the website is set to the recommended drops (3/4" drop in front, 1/2" drop in the rear).

We don't know how KW is able to sell there HAS kits for so cheap and make any money to be honest but then again maybe they are going the volume route. I coudnt tell you exactly why they can get it so low though. I can say that our coil over systems (HAS kit in thei case) carries a much slimmer margin then others to attempt to be closer to the KW.

In regards to the M2 kit being more expensive then the similar M4 kit... the long and short of it is there are more pieces in the M2 kit and some of the similar bits are more expensive to produce. The rear suspension of the M2 is different then the M4--- would an M4 kit physically fit? Yes, that is where we first started ourselves. We found very quickly however that doing so creates a VERY stiff rear end that didn't suit the car very well (in our opinion). Unlike the M4 where your suspension revolves around the rear of the car and attempting to reign in the power and grip from constantly wanting to step out the M2 is the exact opposite and its grip and balance revolves around the front end. We adjusted the suspension to match that very different change in car geometry, balance, nature, philosophy or whatever word you want to call it.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Are the springs larger in diameter than stock? M3/4 has issues fitting wider tires when using the kw has kit. The tires can rub against the springs. Thanks.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #8
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
The car on the website is set to the recommended drops (3/4" drop in front, 1/2" drop in the rear).

We don't know how KW is able to sell there HAS kits for so cheap and make any money to be honest but then again maybe they are going the volume route. I coudnt tell you exactly why they can get it so low though. I can say that our coil over systems (HAS kit in thei case) carries a much slimmer margin then others to attempt to be closer to the KW.

In regards to the M2 kit being more expensive then the similar M4 kit... the long and short of it is there are more pieces in the M2 kit and some of the similar bits are more expensive to produce. The rear suspension of the M2 is different then the M4--- would an M4 kit physically fit? Yes, that is where we first started ourselves. We found very quickly however that doing so creates a VERY stiff rear end that didn't suit the car very well (in our opinion). Unlike the M4 where your suspension revolves around the rear of the car and attempting to reign in the power and grip from constantly wanting to step out the M2 is the exact opposite and its grip and balance revolves around the front end. We adjusted the suspension to match that very different change in car geometry, balance, nature, philosophy or whatever word you want to call it.
Maybe it has to deal with only working on suspension while you guys work on a broader product base.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread