THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications M Performance rear diffuser (fully painted body color)

08-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #1
rjm98119
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

M Performance rear diffuser (fully painted body color)

Painted and installed my M Performance rear diffuser this weekend (along with M Performance Exhaust).

For some reason, when searching for fully painted diffusers I didn't see a lot of examples where the whole thing was painted (maybe I'm an idiot), so I figured this might help someone make a decision one way or the other. I've seen plenty where the top was painted but the center left black.

I actually blocked out the line between the center fins and upper part so there'd be a sharper divide. In the end it's not real obvious.

Not jazzed about the result. Some people hate it when the diffuser is painted at all; I like it painted on top, but I may go back and paint the center black.

Now I think it really needs a good spoiler to balance it, but the backend on these cars is still too stubby .

(By the way, I reused the stock tips on the M Performance exhaust. Some say it can be done, an it's sort of true. I like the black under the white, and I like that I paid nothing for new tips. But, FWIW, while "you can", it ain't right: The stock tips have pressure springs on the inside to hold them on and the exhaust outlets on MPE are wider. You can smash them into place, but it permanently deforms the internal pressure contacts on the tips, breaks their internal welds in some places, so you will never use these on anything else again if you take them off).

Sorry, the angle on the photos kinda sucks. I can get better angles if any one is interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 01:56 AM   #2
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Looks nice. Good job. I think it can be pulled off painting the diffuser only because the car is white (or if it was black). I think any other color would look off. Heh, Estoril Blue diffuser...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)

dont be mad at me! but i just dont like completely painted diffusers, just looks odd without the black contrast and a bit fussy on the back end. thats just me
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
Looks nice. Just don't wash it and it will turn darker/black from all the brake dust. On a side note. Have you pulled your car forward on the Rhino Ramps? I tried and I think my stock front lip wants to rub.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
Looks nice. Just don't wash it and it will turn darker/black from all the brake dust. On a side note. Have you pulled your car forward on the Rhino Ramps? I tried and I think my stock front lip wants to rub.
Asking the important questions

I'm scared to even try my ramps
      08-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
Asking the important questions

I'm scared to even try my ramps
Ramps are great! How do you think I got this awesome exhaust on?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think he meant putting the front wheels on the ramps.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:45 PM   #8
rjm98119
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeadam View Post
dont be mad at me! but i just dont like completely painted diffusers, just looks odd without the black contrast and a bit fussy on the back end. thats just me
Lol, no, I get it. It's a little different in person, but I have mixed feelings every time I look at it. I;m leaning heavily towards painting the center part black or dark grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude
Have you pulled your car forward on the Rhino Ramps? I tried and I think my stock front lip wants to rub.
No, haven't pulled front onto them. Only ever backed onto them in this and my Cayman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune
I'm scared to even try my ramps.
Funny story which could either encourage or discourage you: when I was pulling forward to get off the ramps, I was heel-toeing it a bit (I have a 6MT) so that I didn't fly off the ramp. Well, I put a little too much gas, a little too much clutch, not enough brake, and one back wheel spun (no LSD) kicking out one ramp from underneath and the car fell... hard. Fortunately, nothing seems damaged.
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2016, 12:53 AM   #9
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm98119 View Post
Funny story which could either encourage or discourage you: when I was pulling forward to get off the ramps, I was heel-toeing it a bit (I have a 6MT) so that I didn't fly off the ramp. Well, I put a little too much gas, a little too much clutch, not enough brake, and one back wheel spun (no LSD) kicking out one ramp from underneath and the car fell... hard. Fortunately, nothing seems damaged.
I genuinely at this one. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it this morning.
Appreciate 0