E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MMP stage 3 or JP Workz ST

08-15-2016, 06:18 AM   #1
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe monaco blue

Exclamation MMP stage 3 or JP Workz ST

What's going on everybody? I'm having a huge dilemma on which route to go regarding my next turbo upgrade. I've had my car for about 4 years now and I swear I've experienced every emotion possible ranging from wanting to Grand Theft Auto "ramp style" this thing into a ditch, mountain, or fuel station, due to the headaches and heartaches it has caused for the repairs and parts that have gone bad. To the utter thrills of flooring it and feeling the torque push me back in the seat! And just like any other long term relationship... I'm sticking with it, until either (A.) I cheat and find something better and I do that by winning a lawsuit for slipping on spilled liquids in a store, that doesn't have a "slippery when wet" sign...I've been looking or (B.) Until death do us part/the engine blows . Anyways during my 4 years of experience, I've went through 3 different set of turbos. My fist set was the factory, due to the increase number of parts, and the last two...well I'm another statistic for what it's worth

So this time around, I'm planning on doing hopefully one more swap unless either A or B of my plans take place first. So I'm stuck between either getting the new MMP stage 3 turbos or a JP Workz 6266 ST kit. I've looked at the pros and cons of both and I'm still undecided. The Pros I have for the MMPs are: The power to cost ratio (~700whp/ $3k) is way lower compared to their competitors ( ~700whp/ ~$4800ish Pure, VTT,RB, Hexon), it has single turbo power levels for half the cost of a single kit (VM, Doc, FFTEC), and lastly the labor cost to get them installed (I'm not mechanical inclined at all ). Plus, I already have both the MMP inlets and outlets so those would put out a few more ponies. The only negative thing I could come up with was that if the turbos were to go bad, again, the uninstallation/installation would take it's toll compared to a ST top mount where all I would have to do is pop off the old and put on a new.

As far as the JP kit, the Pros are: IT'S A FU**** SINGLE ...I road in a friend's 335 who had a 6266 install and I was blown away on how it felt... the power delivery was insane! I though my car was quick...damn that! When I got back in mine, I found myself trying to push the gas pedal further and further into the ground, as if it was going to go faster. The only downside that I had was the overall installation cost. I know it's going to be a little more, but I don't know by how much?
Any input or help would be helpful!

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I'm guessing your (2) other sets of smoking turbos were VTT? It sounds like you have had some pretty bad luck with hybrids thus far...

The single turbo will likely be more reliable itself, and are super in 60 mph roll races. Unfortunately they have other issues... Melting valve cover, engine cover. Problems with a/c lines, burning o2 sensors, etc. Not to mention the singles seem to struggle in the 1/4 as they are slower off the line.

Regarding mmp, I've been excited to hear about this option as well, but there has been little to no information released. It has been out for several weeks with several sets sold. This is usually not a good sign. I would never buy a kit without any reviews, especially with your luck. Look what happened with Hexon. They were the cheap alternative and who knows what will happen to those customers?

My advice for hybrids are Pure or RB. For singles I like motiv and doc race.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
I'm guessing your (2) other sets of smoking turbos were VTT? It sounds like you have had some pretty bad luck with hybrids thus far...

The single turbo will likely be more reliable itself, and are super in 60 mph roll races. Unfortunately they have other issues... Melting valve cover, engine cover. Problems with a/c lines, burning o2 sensors, etc. Not to mention the singles seem to struggle in the 1/4 as they are slower off the line.

Regarding mmp, I've been excited to hear about this option as well, but there has been little to no information released. It has been out for several weeks with several sets sold. This is usually not a good sign. I would never buy a kit without any reviews, especially with your luck. Look what happened with Hexon. They were the cheap alternative and who knows what will happen to those customers?

My advice for hybrids are Pure or RB. For singles I like motiv and doc race.
Yes to your question and I wasn't aware of all those other issues regarding a single setup. That sounds like a Grand Theft Auto scenario for me if that were to happen! As far as roll racing, I prefer a good ole 40 roll lol. It seems like the single would suffer for a split second but then catch up on the back end. I'm stilling waiting to see how the MMP turn out. I still have some time before I actually make the jump to either or. Thanks for the input!

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Single FTW

Easier install and turbo replacement since its sitting right on top looking at you. This should be the big selling point since it seems like you dont have good turbo luck.

The JP Workz kit has gotten better over time and he seems to have worked out the kinks in fitment and delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Glennyd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Decisions

I have one of the 2 first MMP stage 3 turbos sold. Unfortunately I am playing catchup on bills right now so I haven't been able to install as of yet. I plan on doing a very detailed install thread very soon. As for the company, I honestly have never delt with a more honest and GENIUNE person as far as companies. He has never gone more then a couple hours without replying to an email and has remained completely honest with all details. His hands are on every part of this kit and he calibrates everything. Hopefully very soon I will be posting logs and dynos so we will know for sure what these monsters can do. One thing I can say is that these turbos will undoubtedly come on much earlier and put down much more torque then the single setup which will make it much easier to use the motor specially for road course driving.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #6
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:

Don't think that's a fair judgment to make. The MMP's are brand new to the market and there are only a few sets out there right this moment. I am one of those with a set of these. My lack of feedback has been due to delays caused by installation issues unrelated to the turbos - busted stud in head, steering rack issue, etc.

Once they were installed we found that there was a flaw with one of the welds for the oil line flange on one of the turbos. Its unfortunate, but being an early stage it's understandable and it happens. Mauricio is doing everything he can to make things right and get me back on the road. That said, I could not be more impressed with the communication from Mauricio and the way he is working to get things back on track. Look forward to sharing results once we get her back on the road.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
bigdaddyaaron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Single FTW

Easier install and turbo replacement since its sitting right on top looking at you. This should be the big selling point since it seems like you dont have good turbo luck.

The JP Workz kit has gotten better over time and he seems to have worked out the kinks in fitment and delivery.
delivery kinks are not worked out for JpWorkz..

My recommendation is JpWorkz, though. Just be ready to wait for a couple months.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyaaron View Post
delivery kinks are not worked out for JpWorkz..

My recommendation is JpWorkz, though. Just be ready to wait for a couple months.
ive been seeing guys get their kits with a few weeks lately.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #9
bigdaddyaaron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
ive been seeing guys get their kits with a few weeks lately.
Honestly, I think its that if you pay with a credit card, your order gets priority. That's my theory on why some people get their orders quicker.

I'm speaking from experience on the kit I finally got last week after a little over 2 months. I don't have a problem with the timeframe to be honest, it's just that he will keep stringing you along with the "next week" or "waiting on xxx". I knew this would happen so I wasn't upset.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1
Quote:

Don't think that's a fair judgment to make. The MMP's are brand new to the market and there are only a few sets out there right this moment. I am one of those with a set of these. My lack of feedback has been due to delays caused by installation issues unrelated to the turbos - busted stud in head, steering rack issue, etc.

Once they were installed we found that there was a flaw with one of the welds for the oil line flange on one of the turbos. Its unfortunate, but being an early stage it's understandable and it happens. Mauricio is doing everything he can to make things right and get me back on the road. That said, I could not be more impressed with the communication from Mauricio and the way he is working to get things back on track. Look forward to sharing results once we get her back on the road.
I'm glad you're willing to take a risk with a new company, especially after what's been going on with Hexon. If it wasn't for you, the rest of the community wouldn't be able to determine if mmp knows what their doing? I've been watching your install as well as their built motor options. I'm actually pretty excited about the built motors. However, I'm not willing to be the Guinea Pig. Hopefully the welding kinks have been worked out and you will be free from further issues... How long before you are up and running again?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #11
csu87
Banned
Rep

at least MMP is standing behind his product right now and paying for re-install of the turbos after it was found there was an issue with one. Havent seen vendors do that in awhile
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #12
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTEbigdaddyaaron;20413624]Honestly, I think its that if you pay with a credit card, your order gets priority. That's my theory on why some people get their orders quicker.

I'm speaking from experience on the kit I finally got last week after a little over 2 months. I don't have a problem with the timeframe to be honest, it's just that he will keep stringing you along with the "next week" or "waiting on xxx". I knew this would happen so I wasn't upset][/QUOTE]

Have you installed the kit yet? Which turbo did you go with? I'm thinking of the 6266 JB, since it's relatively cheaper compared to BB.

Quote:
sirdaft1

Quote:

I'll definitely be waiting on your feedback from those things! I already have both the MMP inlets and outlets, which would make everything flow better, but MAN! That single kit, for the price, can't be beat!

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 12:32 AM   #13
bigdaddyaaron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow007 View Post
Have you installed the kit yet? Which turbo did you go with? I'm thinking of the 6266 JB, since it's relatively cheaper compared to BB.
Haven't installed yet. Looking at next month sometime. I went with an s363 sx-e.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyaaron View Post
Haven't installed yet. Looking at next month sometime. I went with an s363 sx-e.
Any updates? Im between jp and mmp now...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
rosullivan04
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Those prices you quoted just aren't realistic for the power you're quoting. '~700whp/$3' sounds great if you're just measuring a turbo's power rating but you need to figure in ALL the parts necessary to get there like injection, petrol pumps, clutch(es), tunes etc. You also need to mention surprises along the way and things that break afterwards. If you do your install correct ST will not burn up any of the parts you mentioned, but it's not a simple plug and play affair either.
      02-25-2017, 04:40 AM   #16
silver07335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i titanium silver metallic

FYI MMP has a groupbuy going on until 2/28/17 for their Stage 3 turbos.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356300
Appreciate 0