THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Protecting the radiators

08-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Protecting the radiators

Not even 1000km in, my 2 saw the back of a flatbed over the weekend. I was the unlucky recipient of a rock in the auxiliary radiator. The rock just happened to be small enough to fit through the grill and large enough to cause damage. In the 15 years I've been driving, I have never had a rock puncture my radiator before. Upon closer inspection, the grills on our cars have wider openings which (if you're very unlucky like me) allows for wide flat rocks to enter. And since this damage was caused by road debris, it is not covered under warranty leaving me a hefty repair bill.

Once I get the car back I'm going to try to look into ways to add additional protection for the radiators. I was thinking of adding a second grill (painted black) just in front of the rads. Does anyone have a link on how to remove the front bumper? I've tried searching but couldn't find anything.

You can see the culprit still sitting in there at the bottom right corner.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
Not even 1000km in, my 2 saw the back of a flatbed over the weekend. I was the unlucky recipient of a rock in the auxiliary radiator. The rock just happened to be small enough to fit through the grill and large enough to cause damage. In the 15 years I've been driving, I have never had a rock puncture my radiator before. Upon closer inspection, the grills on our cars have wider openings which (if you're very unlucky like me) allows for wide flat rocks to enter. And since this damage was caused by road debris, it is not covered under warranty leaving me a hefty repair bill.
Have you looked at your insurance? Generally, comprehensive coverage includes flying objects as an insured peril. If it flew off of, or went airborne as result of being driven over by, the flatbed ... it meets the definition of flying object and should be covered. Assuming you have comprehensive. If you only have specified perils, check whether it's a listed peril.

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 08-09-2016 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Which kind of vehicle do you think kicked up the rock and how far back do you think you were from it?
Be nice to be able to remove these plastic grills and replace with a screen that allows the same cooling but without the gaps.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Have you looked at your insurance? Generally, comprehensive coverage includes flying objects as an insured peril. If it flew off of, or went airborne as result of being driven over by, the flatbed ... it meets the definition of flying object and should be covered. Assuming you have comprehensive. If you only have specified perils, check whether it's a listed peril.
The cost is not significantly above my premium so there's not really a point in putting in a claim (my comprehensive deductible is $500). The rock wasn't from the flatbed - what I meant was it needed a tow in less than 1000km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Which kind of vehicle do you think kicked up the rock and how far back do you think you were from it?
Be nice to be able to remove these plastic grills and replace with a screen that allows the same cooling but without the gaps.
Honestly, no idea. I always leave enough space between myself and the car I'm following. Like I said earlier, I never had this problem in the 15 years I've been driving, so it was just terrible luck that it did on this new car.

I don't mind the grills as it is. They look good, but I just wish they have a little more protection.
Appreciate 0