F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Debut at Nürburgring in 335i
Extreme Powerhouse

08-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Talking Debut at Nürburgring in 335i

Hi

Wohoo - had my debut at the Ring in Germany.

I have had a fair amount of track sessions with my 335i automatic but they have all been in Denmark where our longest track is about 2,3km which is memorized within a few rounds. So entering the Ring was like starting all over. In total I probably had about 500km experience of track time before I went there and still is was quite an experience and absolutely not the last time I tried it. Next time I hope for dry conditions.

Normally I let the automatic gearbox stay in automatic because I can't do it any better but this time I used it in manual in order to have best control of the car. It was in wet conditions and when the car started spinning the wheels at 120km/h out of a wet curve I preferred to have control rather than optimal performance in the gear shifts.

For any who goes there I recommend to take at least four rounds and use the first two only for seeing the track. Be careful because often you cannot see the what you are facing after the next curve/hill. Due to different reasons I unfortunately only had time for three laps but on the third lap I started memorizing parts of the track. Also have a passenger if possible. He/she can tell when faster cars are approaching from behind so you can concentrate on driving and keeping the car on the track.

Here is the video from my lap (13min). If you don't want to watch it all go to about 11:53 where I am taken over by the BMW M2 Ringtaxi and enjoy the sound when is passes

Before I drove there I was of course watching a lot of videos (also the crashes) and the best beginners video I found was this one (22min)
      08-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

Great Video!
Nicely done. Hoping to do the same next month when I pick up my 440xi Convert~

Always
Motch
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Thanks. The roads were really slippery and I often lost traction even though it doesn't look like much in the video. I would have loved to have an 'x' in the car title during the session ;-)

BTW: They say video is not allowed but as long as the camera is inside the car they don't mind. I had it originally outside in the original BMW/GoPro mount and they asked to be move it inside.
      08-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Thats awesome!

I was at the Ring August 1st! It was an absolute blast!!!!! I drove 1 lap in an M235 with 6MT. I kinda want to move near the track now.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Dereli
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 E92

Well done and good to see another Dane here on the forum.

Hvorfra i dk kommer du fra? (sorry guys had to write some Danish to a fellow country Mann)
Appreciate 0