THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB No AC condensation puddle

07-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #1
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

No AC condensation puddle

I have a 5 month old m235i that seems to not leave a water puddle after having run the AC.

Ever since summer hit the AC seemed to not cool like I think it should and I just shrugged it off to being my first BMW. When it runs the air is cold but I can never feel the compressor cycle like I can in my RDX. I guess to me its odd that the BMW (w/ tinted windows) works just as hard as the RDX that has twice the air volume and much more window area.

Today, after running some errands I noticed not a drop of water on the floor of the garage, even after letting it sit. The temps are in the low 90's and humid as usual so there should be some condensation leaking.

I then cranked up the RDX, let it run, puddle was born in just a few minutes.

so is the no puddle BMW a sign that there might be a problem? low on coolant? am I dealer bound?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

My A/C is strong, temps upper 90's high humidity.
I know my evaporator creates water but not sure how much.
May want to start with one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics.../dp/B002G1PBHI
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Scott,

I was thinking of a way to test the temp and totally forgot about one of those thermometers. I am curious now and will check the parts store tomorrow. I drove the BMW around for about an hour today and it produced not a single drop while the RDX idled for just a few minutes and it was drooling water.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Also in NC here. Mine drips a good amount of water. It also leaves a very obvious wet line on the driveway when I back out, usually the entire length. Maybe, the drain tube is plugged up on yours?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
Also in NC here. Mine drips a good amount of water. It also leaves a very obvious wet line on the driveway when I back out, usually the entire length. Maybe, the drain tube is plugged up on yours?
That's what I am thinking, but not sure where all the water is going. I do not have any wet spots inside or any moldy smells which I guess is kind of lucky.
Dealership is getting a call tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well to update the thread, I purchased a vent thermometer and found out that the system is working fine, nice and cold. I apparently just have to get used to how the car cools

I did call the dealership to ask about the lack of a puddle and was told that the ac drain is located next to the transmission but above the underbody paneling. The water will drain out if you are moving or on an incline, so no worries.

My garage must not be sloped enough for whatever moisture that is left in the system upon shutdown to ever make it off the panel. The residual heat leftover from driving probably cooks that off in no time anyhow.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      08-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver6spd View Post
Well to update the thread, I purchased a vent thermometer and found out that the system is working fine, nice and cold. I apparently just have to get used to how the car cools

I did call the dealership to ask about the lack of a puddle and was told that the ac drain is located next to the transmission but above the underbody paneling. The water will drain out if you are moving or on an incline, so no worries.

My garage must not be sloped enough for whatever moisture that is left in the system upon shutdown to ever make it off the panel. The residual heat leftover from driving probably cooks that off in no time anyhow.
I am experiencing the same situation as you are. My E46 M3 acted the same way occasionally, so I was thinking maybe it was characteristic of BMW's. Thanks for getting a definitive answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 03:18 AM   #8
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
The weather is super hot here in Toronto. My car's thermostat readout was at 36.5 Celcius which is equivalent to 97.7 Fahrenheit and there is definitely a trail of A/C condensation lol
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0