THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Bimmian Chrome covered blinkers

07-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #1
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bimmian Chrome covered blinkers

Hey All,

Can anyone just share some feedback for me. I ordered these already. But if I am understanding correctly, the 2016 M235i are 21 watt bulbs from factory with 150 degree. I ordered the "stealth bulbs 1156 Bulbs With 150 Degree Offset - AKA: PY21W" which I'm 99% sure is the correct size, etc. My concern is the wattage of this bulb as in the past, I've purchased chrome covered bulbs which unbeknownst to me were slightly higher in wattage and ended up melted the housing of a headlight of mine. I know the M235i at night will have these turned on at all times. Can anyone confirm the wattage for these or any issues or compliments?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I personally don't have these, but this question has been asked before and the answer has always been "it's fine".

However, if you're still concerned you can code out the sidemarker indicators. They'll still flash when you signal for a lane change (lol, yeah right! A BMW driver signal for a lane change???! Har de har har har) or a turn, but will be off the rest of the time.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #3
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero
I personally don't have these, but this question has been asked before and the answer has always been "it's fine".

However, if you're still concerned you can code out the sidemarker indicators. They'll still flash when you signal for a lane change (lol, yeah right! A BMW driver signal for a lane change???! Har de har har har) or a turn, but will be off the rest of the time.
Hmm maybe my app isn't working on my iPhone. I can't find a thread related to these with wattage or feedback
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I've had those bulbs for 2 years no issues
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i

^same here. 1 year on my car with no problems.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
Hmm maybe my app isn't working on my iPhone. I can't find a thread related to these with wattage or feedback
Yeah, if you're going through the Bimmerpost app the search function doesn't work lol. Get the bulbs though. You'll be happy with the results.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, if you're going through the Bimmerpost app the search function doesn't work lol. Get the bulbs though. You'll be happy with the results.
I got them today as well as the bimmian grille stripe snap overlays. My second personal installation followed by my drop in AFE filter .
The bulbs are a different story. I took the cover off and for the life of me I can not get these stock bulbs out... Maybe my hands are too big or I'm twisting the wrong part inside. I can't get them out
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Also I just googled some other blinker options as I'm searching for installation help lol and saw VLED makes a switchback bulb that glows white at night during DRL operation and then shuts the white off and blinks Amber when you use your signal. I wonder if these will work on our vehicles. Can't find anyone with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i
Quote:
Quote:
I got them today as well as the bimmian grille stripe snap overlays. My second personal installation followed by my drop in AFE filter .
The bulbs are a different story. I took the cover off and for the life of me I can not get these stock bulbs out... Maybe my hands are too big or I'm twisting the wrong part inside. I can't get them out
You have access to the bulb or cannot get out out of lamp? Once you have access to bulb push in the twist. Don't tough new one with your bare hand, oil from skin can cause a focused hot spot and eventual failure (at least so I've been told).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i
Quote:
Quote:
Also I just googled some other blinker options as I'm searching for installation help lol and saw VLED makes a switchback bulb that glows white at night during DRL operation and then shuts the white off and blinks Amber when you use your signal. I wonder if these will work on our vehicles. Can't find anyone with them.
Update. VLED switchbacks don't work with m235i
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #11
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is it me or is the passenger side bulb removal way harder than the driver side? I can get the driver side out but the other side is making me nervous because it seems way tighter. I'm scared to pull it the bulb out thinking I won't be able to put it back together.
Appreciate 0