F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Minor accident - cops not called despite law
ARMA SPEED

07-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Minor accident - cops not called despite law

Hey folks. Hoping someone in MA can help me with this. I got into a very minor accident earlier at a very low speed. Basically the guy in front of me was braking and jammed his breaks. I jammed mine too, but not nearly enough. I hit him quite gently, and my front license plate barely scratched his rear bumper (thank god for front plates, for a change? LOL).

We exchanged registration information, etc. (in my panic I forgot to get his contact info though, but he got mine). But I found out afterwards online that MA requires 911 to be called in any accident, regardless of severity. Is there any issue with what will happen to the insurance claims given that a police report was not filed?

Bonus question: Does anyone know how long I have to file a claim with Geico if I am potentially at-fault? (MA law automatically assumes you're at fault if you hit the other person's rear end)
      07-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Go to the local station, report it, that way you're covered. Notify Geico immediately. Be aware that short-stopping in front of someone, especially someone in an expensive car, is one of the most popular cons there are. It may not have been your fault, but an intentional act by the other driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Go to the local station, report it, that way you're covered. Notify Geico immediately. Be aware that short-stopping in front of someone, especially someone in an expensive car, is one of the most popular cons there are. It may not have been your fault, but an intentional act by the other driver.
How does that cover me though? MA law automatically establishes that the driver of a vehicle that rear-ends another vehicle is at-fault. It'll be pretty hard to prove who is at fault in this case, which would probably result in me by default being at fault.
      07-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If a records search shows that the other driver has a history of being rear-ended that's a pretty good indication. That's one of the things your insurance company will do.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post

We exchanged registration information, etc. (in my panic I forgot to get his contact info though, but he got mine). But I found out afterwards online that MA requires 911 to be called in any accident, regardless of severity. Is there any issue with what will happen to the insurance claims given that a police report was not filed?
Umm what is your source on that? RMV only states a report must be filed if there is injury, death or if more than $1000 in damage occurs. That report is filed by YOU not the police BTW.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
Umm what is your source on that? RMV only states a report must be filed if there is injury, death or if more than $1000 in damage occurs. That report is filed by YOU not the police BTW.
It was on one of those websites I googled, but now that I had more time to look on the RMV and PD websites I don't see anything about that. So I guess that's not accurate.
      08-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
No PoPo for minir accidents
Appreciate 0