BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Cutting the stock exhaust

07-25-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Cutting the stock exhaust

Thinking about going with a muffler bypass exhaust, but a little hesitant about cutting the stock exhaust. Is this something to worry about? I could imagine dealers would be upset, as even if you went back to stock later on, it wouldn't be 100% from the factory because you would have cut and then re-welded the stock pipes.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I did this for my e90 M3 and it sounded amazing for $200 what I spent for an oem exhaust (did not want to experiment on my original).

Just cut a big retangle from the top and see what is inside. When you reweld it you won't even notice it's been touched because you cut from the top.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
element241
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I don't think dealers will care at all about this. MPE requires a cut and a clamp.
2015 F80 M3 - MG/SO - DCT - Exec Pkg - EDC (sold)
2014 F22 M235i - AW/Black - 6MT - Premium Pkg - Tech Pkg (sold)
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew
Thinking about going with a muffler bypass exhaust, but a little hesitant about cutting the stock exhaust. Is this something to worry about? I could imagine dealers would be upset, as even if you went back to stock later on, it wouldn't be 100% from the factory because you would have cut and then re-welded the stock pipes.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Have you done this with a car before? I did with my last n54. It's fun until your catless and it drones like hell.

If your into it I would just slap a VRSF catless downpipe on it. You will be happy, plus you can retain your factory exhaust flap for the highway.

It's louder than my muffler delete n54. And louder than my resonator deleted, catless setup with two short bullet style mufflers I had after that. Just doesn't drone.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Have you done this with a car before? I did with my last n54. It's fun until your catless and it drones like hell.

If your into it I would just slap a VRSF catless downpipe on it. You will be happy, plus you can retain your factory exhaust flap for the highway.

It's louder than my muffler delete n54. And louder than my resonator deleted, catless setup with two short bullet style mufflers I had after that. Just doesn't drone.
Appreciate the heads up. Was planning to run the Fabspeed sport cat + muffler bypass. Everything I've been told leads me to believe the drone is fairly minimal and pretty manageable.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post

Appreciate the heads up. Was planning to run the Fabspeed sport cat + muffler bypass. Everything I've been told leads me to believe the drone is fairly minimal and pretty manageable.
If you do the sport cat and Fabspeed bypass I think that will be a perfect combo similar to straight catless! I wasn't sure if you were just going to chop it off or something.

I think if you want loud but want to keep a good tone that will be awesome.
Appreciate 0