Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

07-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Where to go while on vacation?

Hi! My wife and I are heading to Sydney for 11 days in mid October... Yeah, it is a little ways away, but reservations may need to be made, so asking now.

We want to see the sights in Sydney, but I also want to do other things, and flying to other destinations is fine. I think I would love to dive the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday looks like a possibility, but looking for suggestions on that as well.

So, Sydney would be for fun and sightseeing and other places for adventure. Very open to suggestions.. Gold Coast, Outback... You name it, and I would appreciate hearing it very much! Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
_Siin_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Competition, M135i (sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Hi! My wife and I are heading to Sydney for 11 days in mid October... Yeah, it is a little ways away, but reservations may need to be made, so asking now.

We want to see the sights in Sydney, but I also want to do other things, and flying to other destinations is fine. I think I would love to dive the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday looks like a possibility, but looking for suggestions on that as well.

So, Sydney would be for fun and sightseeing and other places for adventure. Very open to suggestions.. Gold Coast, Outback... You name it, and I would appreciate hearing it very much! Thanks in advance!
Depends on that time you have... My guess from you use of vacation is that your from USA

Great ocean road
Hamilton island is nice as a break
Gold Coast is really "touristy" without being special except from a nice beach which you can also get in Byron / Lennox Head

Scuba diving @ Julian rocks?
Noosa
Daintree rainforest
Mount warning climb
Adelaide / Hunter valley wine tour
Broome fishing/camels/hovercraft
Melbourne has great culture for shopping/food
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Siin_ View Post
Depends on that time you have... My guess from you use of vacation is that your from USA

Great ocean road
Hamilton island is nice as a break
Gold Coast is really "touristy" without being special except from a nice beach which you can also get in Byron / Lennox Head

Scuba diving @ Julian rocks?
Noosa
Daintree rainforest
Mount warning climb
Adelaide / Hunter valley wine tour
Broome fishing/camels/hovercraft
Melbourne has great culture for shopping/food
Thank you! I will be on holiday, and I am from the States.

What we really are not keen on doing is getting a beach place and sitting. We can do that in hundreds of other places that are far easier to get to from Seattle.

I will look at these suggestions. If you, or others, have additional suggestions, have at it! Cheers, mate.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Alpine White, 911 997.2

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
- Sydney is great, the harbour is pretty spectacular - the surrounding areas like Palm Beach are also nice for a day trip.
- Melbourne is also a great city and as previous posters have mentioned a trip down the Great Ocean Road is a must
- The Gold Coast is basically a crappier version of Reno with beaches.
- The Far North of QLD is absolutely unique - Port Douglas or Palm Cove are great places to stay - from where you can go on great day trips and tours. Rainforest, unique wildlife and indigenous culture are all available to you in FNQ.
- From FNQ you could spend a few days in the Islands of the Whitsundays.
- Over in the West, Broome is also a unique experience - plus the areas around there like the Kimberley's and up north near Darwin is Kakadu.

Australian cities are pretty much just like American cities, a bit smaller but mostly the same. They're good arrival\departure points and for a few days exploration, but if you want the "unique" Australia you've really got to head out of the cities.

Also I should mention, driving in Australia is a bit of a pain in the arse - we have pretty low speed limits (110km/h on freeways) and the local police are focused on catching and fining people.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
Australian cities are pretty much just like American cities, a bit smaller but mostly the same. They're good arrival\departure points and for a few days exploration, but if you want the "unique" Australia you've really got to head out of the cities.
Thanks so much for this! I'm sharing these with my wife, and we're really getting excited about the differetn possibilities.

Chromedome, both you and _Siin_ are from Brisbane, and neither of you recommeded that city, which I though might be a good stop off point fpr a day or two to drive up the coast. Should I not plan on that?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
brownb_2
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

yeah i really like Melbourne as a city. ill agree with the city comment, they are mostly the same (anywhere around the world really)

over in the west, there are some really nice places south of perth, Margaret river and south. Denmark, Big trees (forests) if youre into that

Further up the coast you have national park things like the
Pinicals (a stop on the drive up)
sharkbay
coral bay/exmouth
broome - as other mentioned

only thing about the west coast is travelling, its hard to get around and travel up. some very long drives. on boring roads once you get a bit further north.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 05:09 AM   #7
_Siin_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much for this! I'm sharing these with my wife, and we're really getting excited about the differetn possibilities.

Chromedome, both you and _Siin_ are from Brisbane, and neither of you recommeded that city, which I though might be a good stop off point fpr a day or two to drive up the coast. Should I not plan on that?
To be honest mate, there's not much here that's worth seeing.
Mount Warning is a nice hike about 1.5hours to the south up behind Byron Bay, else maybe Sunshine Coast - if you like weekend markets, maybe hit Eumundi markets & Noosa.

After Sunshine Coast, there's not much until you hit around Cairns/Port Douglas - personally don't think there's much to see with Bundaberg, Mackay, Gladstone, Rockhampton. Driving to Cairns will take 3 days, so fly.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Lotus07
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - sold 24th June 2022

Larryn you and wife will enjoy Melb. Try to have one Sunday here as there are lots of outdoor craft markets - St Kilda Sunday market, Southbank market. Stay in the city and you can use the free tram(trolley in the States) service. Other attractions Great Ocean Road, Penguin Parade at Phillip Island, Sovereign Hill etc. By the way Melb is the coffee capital of the world and there are eateries galore. With the demise of our resource industry we need tourist dollars - so come and enjoy. Happy to assist if required.☕️������������
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Alpine White, 911 997.2

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Siin_ View Post
To be honest mate, there's not much here that's worth seeing.
Mount Warning is a nice hike about 1.5hours to the south up behind Byron Bay, else maybe Sunshine Coast - if you like weekend markets, maybe hit Eumundi markets & Noosa.

After Sunshine Coast, there's not much until you hit around Cairns/Port Douglas - personally don't think there's much to see with Bundaberg, Mackay, Gladstone, Rockhampton. Driving to Cairns will take 3 days, so fly.
Yeah would have to agree - as far as tourism goes, Brisbane is a bit lame. Apart from something like Lone Pine Sanctuary or Australia Zoo.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
bmwgirlf80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Alpine White

Do the bridge climb in Sydney

www.bridgeclimb.com
      07-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgirlf80 View Post
Do the bridge climb in Sydney

www.bridgeclimb.com
Definitely planned on doing that! I'm one of those wankers that was hopping onto rock outcrops that drop hundreds of meters to either side at the Grand Canyon. I've bungee jumped, done freefalls (not that goofy tandem stuff). Basically, I love height adventures and consider myself having fear of heights.

However, we will go diving on the Great Barrier Reef. I love the Hamilton Island ideas, and have looked into rental properties there.

So far, it is looking like:
  • Sydney for 3.5 days - Main sights & museums
  • Far North Queensland for 2.5 days for some nature hikes
  • Hamilton Island/Cairns (diving)/Port Douglas/Daintree (5 days)
  • Head back to Sydney and onto our flight home, exhausted

Last edited by larryn; 07-04-2016 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:37 AM   #12
Skiids
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Whitsundays are most beautiful and worlds away from Seattle.. Australia offers all types of experience, just depends what you seek..Sydney is like any big city.. 3 days is more than enough maybe too much.. if you only have 11 days..head north asap.. Hamilton Island is nice but Hayman Island is stunning.. if you can stretch go there for a couple of nights
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #13
_Siin_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
Yeah would have to agree - as far as tourism goes, Brisbane is a bit lame. Apart from something like Lone Pine Sanctuary or Australia Zoo.
Even then, unless you're taking kids 6-14(ish) it kinda flunks out as well.
Melbourne has so much more going for it as a visitor & Sydney is at least driving distance to exploration & wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn
Hamilton Island
Check out a clients website www.luxury-holidays.com.au (search Hamilton Island) or http://www.luxuryholidays.com.au/yes...s=&beds=&find=
Better places to stay & prices generally than the general hotels.

Go on a sailing cruise & jet-ski run or go scuba diving .... and relax! There's not much else to enjoy
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 03:16 AM   #14
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Quote:

I'd say you could easily spend the whole 11 days in Sydney depending on what you want to do. Australia is as big as the US so you don't want to spend too much time jetting around if you can help it.

We run a place on Airbnb in Sydney and most people tend to visit places like Darling Harbour, Opera House/Circular Key, Centre point tower, Blue Mountains/Three sisters, Taronga Zoo, Watsons Bay and Bondi Beach. They may do some day or overnight trips up to places like Port Stephens to look at dolphins or the Hunter Valley to do wineries.

They're the main ones that come to mind but if you list on http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

There are a lot more sydney siders on there to give suggestions
Appreciate 1