THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications CNAUTOFANS Carbon Fiber Spoiler (Install Review)

07-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (F22)

CNAUTOFANS Carbon Fiber Spoiler (Install Review)

Did an install review on my CNAUTOFANS diffuser, and it went pretty well. The diffuser has held up nicely the past few weeks. Since I had a good experience with the diffuser, I decided to try their Exotics Tuning Style Carbon Fiber Spoiler. Received it a few days ago and found time to put it on today, so here goes.

SHIPPING + INITIAL THOUGHTS:
Processing/shipping was a lot faster than the diffuser (1 week, vs 2-3 weeks lol). I'm assuming the diffuser wasn't in stock and had to be made on order vs the spoiler probably gets more orders so they have more stock. Spoiler quality is great, especially for the price of $150 + $53 (shipping) = $203! Fitment is great too! All that's left, is to see how it holds up in the long run.

STOCK SPOILER REMOVAL:
Removing the stock spoiler was EASY! You DO NOT need a heat gun by the way. Just some cheap fishing wire. Arrange the wire in your hands like you're going to floss your teeth, then just start the wire at one side of the spoiler when work your way to the other side sawing your way through, separating the adhesive. This part takes 2-5 min. You can also use painters tape to mark where the stock spoiler was aligned, for reference.

OLD ADHESIVE REMOVAL:
Now the next step is a pretty big PITA. Removing the old adhesive. I STRONGLY suggest to get some type of adhesive remover. I tried 3M Adhesive Remover (keep an eye on your clear coat when using this stuff though and clean any run-off so it only goes to the place where there is adhesive). Be cautious by laying towels down on the trunk so you don't get the spray on it, to be safe with the clear coat. After you've taken all necessary precautions, spray the area with the adhesive, let settle for a few seconds until the adhesive starts looking soggy, then start rubbing off with hands or towel. This part is very messy and will require multiple repeats of the process to remove all the adhesive.

PREPPING TRUNK:
After you've removed the adhesive, wash the trunk area, part of fender and bumper to clear any possible trace of the adhesive remover. Next I dried the trunk area and used detailer with clay bar to remove as much contaminant as possible. Then I soaked a rag with isopropyl alcohol to clean up as a finishing touch where the spoiler will go.

PREPPING SPOILER:
After the trunk has been finished, its time to prep the spoiler. I like to put a very thick layer of wax on my carbon fiber products before installing them (but remember to cover the area where the adhesive will go, with painters tape, while waxing). Then I applied 3M Double Sided Molders Tape to the area that will attach to the trunk.

FITTING SPOILER TO TRUNK (PART 1):
After the spoiler is prepped, test fit the spoiler to the trunk, to make sure everything lines up nicely. Then peel some of the tape backing off, so it sticks out of the side of the spoiler, so that as you apply the spoiler to the car, you can pull the tape backing and move along the spoiler to accurately fit it on the trunk.

FITTING SPOILER TO TRUNK (PART 2):
After having accurately fitted the spoiler to the trunk, carefully check fitment one more time and use your palm to move along the spoiler and apply a good amount of pressure for a few seconds at a time, to secure the fitment as much as possible.

IMPORTANT FINISHING TOUCHES:
Wax the trunk area, since we clay barred and removed all contaminant. Let the car sit for a few hours and don't wash that area for about 24-48 hours to let the adhesive settle. Now I admire my 4+ hours of work lol.

Thinking of getting the Exotics Tuning Style Carbon Fiber Front Splitter next...

Check out my install review on the CNAUTOFANS Exotics Tuning Style Carbon Fiber Difffuser: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276585
      07-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

Good review. Its good to see china made products can have such high quality finish and fitment. Will be getting this spoiler as well after reading your review. keep it up with the mods
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes
Good review. Its good to see china made products can have such high quality finish and fitment. Will be getting this spoiler as well after reading your review. keep it up with the mods
Thanks man, glad I helped you out! It's funny, carbon fiber is manufactured in China, so even the replicas are the same material lol.

Also, people like to talk about "yellowing" or "cracking" of the clear coat on carbon fiber product replicas. I see people complaining about RW mirror caps, saying the clear coat is defective within 6 months due to sun exposure. I have had my mirror caps for over a year and a half, still look brand new. My method isn't complicated at all. Just generously wax each carbon fiber piece after each wash (I wash and wax my car every 1-2 weeks, adding a thicker layer to carbon fiber pieces).

Good luck with your build!
      07-02-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitsos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes
Thanks man, glad I helped you out! It's funny, carbon fiber is manufactured in China, so even the replicas are the same material lol.

Also, people like to talk about "yellowing" or "cracking" of the clear coat on carbon fiber product replicas. I see people complaining about RW mirror caps, saying the clear coat is defective within 6 months due to sun exposure. I have had my mirror caps for over a year and a half, still look brand new. My method isn't complicated at all. Just generously wax each carbon fiber piece after each wash (I wash and wax my car every 1-2 weeks, adding a thicker layer to carbon fiber pieces).

Good luck with your build!
I've had both my CNAUTOFAN spoiler and rear diffuser for over a year now and no issues. Glad to see more people using this company!
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
kevinh211
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Nice work! Let us know in a few months on how the clear coat is holding up.
I'm going to order one myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #6
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22_M235i View Post
I've had both my CNAUTOFAN spoiler and rear diffuser for over a year now and no issues. Glad to see more people using this company!
Any rear diffuser pics?

EDIT: Found them! Cool!
      07-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Most carbon will discolor over time, unless your religious about it, much like anything left in the sun. Just be glad you did nit spend 2k in it....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana
Most carbon will discolor over time, unless your religious about it, much like anything left in the sun. Just be glad you did nit spend 2k in it....
In other words, save your money and buy the replica!