BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > SD Card Slot

06-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
normcaldwell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi S3

SD Card Slot

Does the M2 have an SD card slot for audio playback? My current vehicle (MK7 GTI) has two; one for the Nav card, and an extra one I use for playing music files.
When I look at the features on the website, I'm not finding anything specific about an SD card slot: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s/default.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

iDrive wants USB or DVD/CD for media file playback. You can put the SD Card into a USB adapter, plug that in to the USB slot under the armrest, then on iDrive select Multimedia->USB, and iDrive will let you select the SD card's music or video for playback.

It may or may not also give you the option to store the file on its hard drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
normcaldwell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
iDrive wants USB or DVD/CD for media file playback. You can put the SD Card into a USB adapter, plug that in to the USB slot under the armrest, then on iDrive select Multimedia->USB, and iDrive will let you select the SD card's music or video for playback.

It may or may not also give you the option to store the file on its hard drive.
Thanks for the info.
On my '13 E92 M3, I was able to store files on the hard drive, so maybe as well here.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by normcaldwell View Post
Thanks for the info.
On my '13 E92 M3, I was able to store files on the hard drive, so maybe as well here.
A word of warning about the HDD: the system downconverts files stored to the HDD to a 256Kbps bitrate. It does this for CDs that you burn to the HDD, too -- meaning the system downconverts from 1,411Kbps to 256Kbps.

This is part of what I mean when I say that the 2 Series audio -- including the HK system -- is optimized for digital file playback. If you care, or are used to, higher-quality source material, the system simply cannot deliver it properly without modifications.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
normcaldwell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
A word of warning about the HDD: the system downconverts files stored to the HDD to a 256Kbps bitrate. It does this for CDs that you burn to the HDD, too -- meaning the system downconverts from 1,411Kbps to 256Kbps.

This is part of what I mean when I say that the 2 Series audio -- including the HK system -- is optimized for digital file playback. If you care, or are used to, higher-quality source material, the system simply cannot deliver it properly without modifications.
I appreciate the info; did not know this.
Kind of disappointing that BMW doesn't have the SD card reader option.
With the SD card, I can rip a CD and save the tracks with a much greater bitrate than 256Kbps.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #6
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
With the SD card, I can rip a CD and save the tracks with a much greater bitrate than 256Kbps.
You can do this on a USB flash drive too! Don't need a SD card. Or if you have to use your SD card get a usb sd card reader just like Zenmaster said above. What's the hang up.
      07-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
I would not doubt that it would be near impossible to discern a quality difference above MP3 256kbps VBR with the 2-series sound system's frequency response and distortion.

That said, the 256kbps limitation applies only to raw CD audio ripped by iDrive itself. You can still rip your own and play it at a higher bitrate. Therefore I don't see why you'd be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
normcaldwell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2ME2 View Post
You can do this on a USB flash drive too! Don't need a SD card. Or if you have to use your SD card get a usb sd card reader just like Zenmaster said above. What's the hang up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
I would not doubt that it would be near impossible to discern a quality difference above MP3 256kbps VBR with the 2-series sound system's frequency response and distortion.

That said, the 256kbps limitation applies only to raw CD audio ripped by iDrive itself. You can still rip your own and play it at a higher bitrate. Therefore I don't see why you'd be disappointed.

Appreciate the additional info. The M2 has a USB port, which would work just fine. I could transfer my files from the SD to the USB device.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Most of the tracks on my USB are 320kbps
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0