THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hifi, harman?

06-22-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
daimeow
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hifi, harman?

Hi all

The harman on the F22 is not logic7, and there's no equalizer but the same treble and bass settings as the hifi. My questions are:

1) do the hifi and harman use the same harness?

2) if yes, are they interchangeable and require no coding?

I searched everywhere and could only find pics of harman amp plugs and harness (upgrading to bimmertech).

Not even one single post of hifi upgrading to harman and pics of the hifi amp plugs and harness (i understand one might as well upgrade to better choices, but i just want to know)

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimeow View Post
Hi all

The harman on the F22 is not logic7, and there's no equalizer but the same treble and bass settings as the hifi. My questions are:

1) do the hifi and harman use the same harness?

2) if yes, are they interchangeable and require no coding?

I searched everywhere and could only find pics of harman amp plugs and harness (upgrading to bimmertech).

Not even one single post of hifi upgrading to harman and pics of the hifi amp plugs and harness (i understand one might as well upgrade to better choices, but i just want to know)

thanks
The harnesses are the same. The plug-and-play harness from TechnicPnP that a number of folks have used works on both Hi-Fi and HK systems.

The reason why no one's upgraded the Hi-Fi amp to an HK one is that there's no compelling reason to. Both are underpowered, and both have built-in DSP that limits bass and treble and bumps mids ...

... and according to RealOEM and a part-number search, the latest version of the HK amp runs nearly $1,100 ($1,217 list).

Another consideration: both systems feed the dual underseat subs differently. Hi-Fi uses a single mono channel; HK uses two summed channels.

It theoretically could work with OEM wiring, I believe. But unless you score a unit from a salvaged car for a song, I wouldn't bother.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
daimeow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
The harnesses are the same. The plug-and-play harness from TechnicPnP that a number of folks have used works on both Hi-Fi and HK systems.

The reason why no one's upgraded the Hi-Fi amp to an HK one is that there's no compelling reason to. Both are underpowered, and both have built-in DSP that limits bass and treble and bumps mids ...

... and according to RealOEM and a part-number search, the latest version of the HK amp runs nearly $1,100 ($1,217 list).

Another consideration: both systems feed the dual underseat subs differently. Hi-Fi uses a single mono channel; HK uses two summed channels.

It theoretically could work with OEM wiring, I believe. But unless you score a unit from a salvaged car for a song, I wouldn't bother.
u mean HK sub channels are bridged? what is the ohm rating on HK subs? i believe the stock subs are 4ohms. so the hk amp is 2ohms per channel and bridging two channels to give 4ohms? so the watts output doubles too? is it gonna give me any trouble in terms of hooking them up?

the reason that i want to change the stock amp to hk is because all other speakers (except the 2 subs) on my car are already upgraded to hk. so i want to 'see' the whole picture of what a full hk system is capable/incapable of

you are right about the crazy markup of the non-L7 hk amp. so i am looking at a new amp and 2 used subs at a discount
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

I pulled the stock HK subs from my 2016 m235i and they are 2 ohms. I have the Bimmertech amp installed now so I have not checked to see if they are running off the same channel in the HK amp or not but they are not connected together in the actual wiring from the amp to the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
u mean HK sub channels are bridged? what is the ohm rating on HK subs? i believe the stock subs are 4ohms. so the hk amp is 2ohms per channel and bridging two channels to give 4ohms? so the watts output doubles too? is it gonna give me any trouble in terms of hooking them up?

the reason that i want to change the stock amp to hk is because all other speakers (except the 2 subs) on my car are already upgraded to hk. so i want to 'see' the whole picture of what a full hk system is capable/incapable of

you are right about the crazy markup of the non-L7 hk amp. so i am looking at a new amp and 2 used subs at a discount
This is yet another anomaly in 2 Series audio that is still, as yet, not completely clear. At one point, Hi-Fi subs were 2 ohm and ran in series, while HK subs were 8 ohm and ran in parallel. At some point, the HK setup switched to 2 ohm/series for the subs. We don't know when exactly this happened ... but note that there is a different HK amp for each 2 Series model likely because of the unique ASD signature needed for each drivetrain/audio configuration. This parts page on RealOEM demonstrates this.

I believe the HK still sums the left and right channels at the amp, but if the HK subs are now 2 ohms each, that means they have to be receiving a mono signal to work in series at 4 ohms, which is what the remainder of the HK drivers are.

Bottom line for the thread: The above means the likelihood of a Hi-Fi-to-HK amp swap working is greater.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 04:05 AM   #6
daimeow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
This is yet another anomaly in 2 Series audio that is still, as yet, not completely clear. At one point, Hi-Fi subs were 2 ohm and ran in series, while HK subs were 8 ohm and ran in parallel. At some point, the HK setup switched to 2 ohm/series for the subs. We don't know when exactly this happened ... but note that there is a different HK amp for each 2 Series model likely because of the unique ASD signature needed for each drivetrain/audio configuration. This parts page on RealOEM demonstrates this.

I believe the HK still sums the left and right channels at the amp, but if the HK subs are now 2 ohms each, that means they have to be receiving a mono signal to work in series at 4 ohms, which is what the remainder of the HK drivers are.

Bottom line for the thread: The above means the likelihood of a Hi-Fi-to-HK amp swap working is greater.
what are "Exchangeable retrospectively" and "Bilaterally exchangeable"?????

When RealOEM returns "Exchangeable retrospectively" for a product ID, I will understand it as backward compatibility. For example, if I have a 2015 Oct car, I cannot use an amp produced before that date.

But what the hell is "Bilaterally exchangeable" ?????

I guess safer to:
(1) if possible, buy an amp with the latest production date
(2) for older production dates, search by VIN first
(3) make sure to buy only those newer than my car's manufacturing date (VIN search doesn't return "exchangeable retrospectively" or "bilaterally exchangeable")
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what are "Exchangeable retrospectively" and "Bilaterally exchangeable"?????

When RealOEM returns "Exchangeable retrospectively" for a product ID, I will understand it as backward compatibility. For example, if I have a 2015 Oct car, I cannot use an amp produced before that date.

But what the hell is "Bilaterally exchangeable" ?????

I guess safer to:
(1) if possible, buy an amp with the latest production date
(2) for older production dates, search by VIN first
(3) make sure to buy only those newer than my car's manufacturing date (VIN search doesn't return "exchangeable retrospectively" or "bilaterally exchangeable")
I believe you're correct with the "exchangeable retrospectively" tag, while the "bilaterally exchangeable" tag likely means the same part numbers must be swapped. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Those tags also partially relate to core exchanging; in other words, turning in the 'core' of a product so that it can be remanufactured and re-sold. (Think alternators back in the day).
Appreciate 0