E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > MOT time

06-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

MOT time

Well my MOT expires on June 18th and I meant to get around to it sooner.
Booked the car in for a test today and at lunch time went down to flash the car back to a stock map on the DME\ECU instead of a back end flash. Just to make sure it passed emissions.

Well after the flash back to stock the CEL light was staying on. I think it's because I flashed my transmission software to a non-standard build and the shadow codes are there, with the car a little bit confused.
I cleared down with the JB4 but it stayed on.

Of course this was at work, with my INPA software etc at home and the test was 30 mins away. Shiiiiiiiiit!!!!!

Did a quick bit of research and some places were saying a CEL light on all the time will be a fail but others say only if something like emissions were too high as a result of a bad sensor etc.

So, I flashed back to my tuned map, as the tune only has adjustments to fuelling etc made at the top end. High rpm, high load and the low load, low rpm stuff is all the same as stock. Roughly from what I've checked. CEL light did go away. Phew! So I set the JB4 to map 1 and throttle boost mapping low (menu 11) to be safe. Car had a 10 minute drive at slightly higher revs than normal to get there so I warmed up the cats.

Anyway, thanks to my new tyres, fitted about 2 months ago, I passed without any advisories! Normally I have 2. Rear tyre left, low tread, close to limit, Rear tyre right, low tread, close to limit.

The only thing that was slightly raised was carbon monoxide. Which will be as a result of the flash running a bit richer than stock and possibly that the rear cats still weren't warm enough. Anyway. More boost will bun that off. Come to think of it a stage 2 fuel pump might well be partly to blame.

Well it's great news. No repair\replacement work needed that could have kept me off the road had it failed.

Next time I'll do it a month before like I should have. Lesson learned.

These cars are just amazing. A 7 year old car passing with flying colours. I do look after it well, but these E9x are so well built despite all the bad press many people give them. I'm still so happy with mine.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

CEL is an advisory, not a fail - for what it's worth ...
      06-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
CEL is an advisory, not a fail - for what it's worth ...
Hey thanks for the info Mega! Didn't want to risk it.
I'll clear down these codes tonight with INPA.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0