E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Taking the 2.x plunge this thursday

03-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
SW335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Taking the 2.x plunge this thursday

I'm visiting with Dustin this week to have my 1.47 changed to 2.x (whatever map he suggests). I think its time to upgrade, as the bugs seem to be out of the system now.

I'm also going to have the ground wire moved, as I want to service the car and if I toggle to stock, I am not interested in removing the procede each time and should not have to with the version 2.x upgrades and stock valet setting.

I'll post a write up on seat of the pants differences, if any.

As an FYI--to date, have had 1 code fire and when the car restarted i have never had another. i have minor stumblgin in 4th with low revs and with all out running i get a minor amount of retardation of timing past 5k rpm.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Red Sedan

You should be happy with it. I like how the car pulls to Redline but miss the mid torque puch of the V1.47. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will put V2.1 in your car. let us know.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
SW335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Dustin told me he was putting in whatever was the latest map as of today. Don't know what map that was.

My view:

1) I had not been a passenger in my car in some time. Sh-t, its fast. Let someone drive your car and sit in the front seat, its easy to forget how fast these cars are.

2) Previously my car had a "stumble" or hesitation just before 5k rpm. Dustin said it had to do with reducing boost. It was predictable, happened all of the time. That is gone now. The tune is smoother.

3) Still rock solid idle.

4) The mid and low range torque feels like its more to me, not less. That might be because the thing is just smoother now and pulls with greater "fluidity" if that makes sense.

finally, Dustin installed the V2 so that the ground wire is now hidden in the ECU box. Thus, my procede is completely hidden. If a dealer wants to find it, they have to go hunting for it.

This upgrade is worth it. If you are with 1.47 and on the fence, I think its worth the $ to upgrade to 2.x and have a transparent install with a smoother feel.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Will have a new map for you soon too

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW335 View Post
I'm visiting with Dustin this week to have my 1.47 changed to 2.x (whatever map he suggests). I think its time to upgrade, as the bugs seem to be out of the system now.

I'm also going to have the ground wire moved, as I want to service the car and if I toggle to stock, I am not interested in removing the procede each time and should not have to with the version 2.x upgrades and stock valet setting.

I'll post a write up on seat of the pants differences, if any.

As an FYI--to date, have had 1 code fire and when the car restarted i have never had another. i have minor stumblgin in 4th with low revs and with all out running i get a minor amount of retardation of timing past 5k rpm.
Can you provide some details about where to put the ground wire (other than outside the E box)? Same here, I dont wont to remove the unit for oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, 125cc Trackmagic

It is still outside of the ECU box, but it is under the bulkhead tray. On the far pass side of the car, there is an 8mm bolt, which screws into a metal tab. The problem is, there is paint on the lip that the metal clip slides onto. Depending on how much paint was scraped off when they slid the clip on at the factory, this may or may not work.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Oh btw, the map was updated to the newest v2.0.2, not 2.1beta

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu View Post
It is still outside of the ECU box, but it is under the bulkhead tray. On the far pass side of the car, there is an 8mm bolt, which screws into a metal tab. The problem is, there is paint on the lip that the metal clip slides onto. Depending on how much paint was scraped off when they slid the clip on at the factory, this may or may not work.
Thats exactly how I did it...I scraped off some of the paint with sandpaper and it works great!!
Appreciate 0