F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Day 6 of F31 340 ownership
Extreme Powerhouse

06-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Mr Burt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 340

Day 6 of F31 340 ownership

Managed to spend some time with the car this weekend but concentrating more on basic living with the car rather than raving about the engine and handling.
Hopefully some of my comments here may help forum members when working through the various options and whether they are worth spending on.
I have managed to configure the adaptive dampers to sport mode and now the ride/ handling is sharper, more on that in future posts.
Had to drive to the Fockers for the weekend, so it was the wife, dogs and two very important handmade anniversary cakes on the back seat.
Needless to say I had to drive like a chauffeur, super smooth except for a quick take off from the toll booth that the wive thought was hilarious.

Well over the course of 100 miles of motorway, and mainly A roads the car returned 34.2 MPG (OB computer). Will no doubt improve as the engine frees up but overall not a bad figure. I guess expect 36ish on a motorway in Eco pro at 75ish MPH.

There is a degree of road noise on all surfaces accept super smooth resurfaced bits of motorway, but running 255 35 r19 at the rear you have to accept this ain't no XJ when it comes to refinement.
The engine however (sorry had to get it in somewhere) is fabulously refined and when driving as I did this weekend with restraint just gets the job done and pulls up to legal speed in a very linear and turbine smooth manner.
Totally love the HUD, it contains the perfect info I need eg speed and legal speed. I have speed limit recognition and this is a must. It will also display detail from the modes, SatNav and rather funky displays when exiting motorway slip roads.
While we are talking Sat Nav, everyone raves about Pro Nav but apart from the graphics I feel slightly Meh! It's clunky to name a destination, sends me on random routes even when I have driven these routes many times before and should adapte and know my preferred route.
It's early days with the new unit but I feel unless I'm missing a massive trick the only reason I would pay extra would be to have the HUD.
Did not realise that there's now full Bluetooth streaming for iPhone 6, so phone and music is now seamless. Not sure what advanced BT gives you but sure glad I did not pay extra for it.
Not had chance to drive at night yet so a review of adaption LEDs will have to wait.
Thursday morning it was 6c at 5:30 so I tried out the heated wheel. Felt like a bit of a Jesse in June but it was for test purposes you understand. Well it's quick to operate and it will be one of those extras that over time I will not be able to live without,. For £150 it's a no brainer
The reverse camera has great detail and resolution and gives you a better view of the periphery in addition to the obvious of showing you whats directly behind. Good piece of kit that again overtime will become indispensable.
I have sealed the wheels with 'poor boys' polish and sealant and with the plus brake upgrade and Mineral grey body they look awesome. Was not keen on the 403's on my previous 3 but these really look the business and add that degree Of aggression that I think the 340 deserves.

Finally I'm still totally blown away by the interior combo of Oyster with individual piano black, it's so refreshing coming from the all black 320d. This is the one aspect of the car that everyone has commented on and it's overwhelmingly positive.
Still the honeymoon for me with the car, but at the mo I'm falling for it big time and I mean big time, I may even name it but should it be male or female, suggestions please.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
The tyre/road noise is my biggest complaint with my 335i. There are some simple things you can do to reduce it somewhat (filling gaps on front wheel arch where it meets the door hinges and also above the top of the wheel arch in the engine bay) - but the lack of basic sound insulation is quite unacceptable on a 3-series IMHO. Interestingly, the diesels get more seals than the petrols. I can't think what the engineers were thinking of.

When my Bridgestones are dead I'm looking to get some tyres with a low noise rating. I think that should make a worthwhile difference too.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

one thing I don't get is why on oyster they left the lower dash oyster but on the saddle leather I have it is black (which is more practical tbh - feet marks etc)

That lower dash will be tricky to keep clean ! good luck ! I do like oyster I was going for anything but black but when I saw saddle was available with the black lower dash it was 1st choice..
      06-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Apollocs
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
The tyre/road noise is my biggest complaint with my 335i. There are some simple things you can do to reduce it somewhat (filling gaps on front wheel arch where it meets the door hinges and also above the top of the wheel arch in the engine bay) - but the lack of basic sound insulation is quite unacceptable on a 3-series IMHO. Interestingly, the diesels get more seals than the petrols. I can't think what the engineers were thinking of.

When my Bridgestones are dead I'm looking to get some tyres with a low noise rating. I think that should make a worthwhile difference too.
The high tyre noise was one of few things I didn't like on the 340i loaner I had. Not enough to stop me ordering one though as practically everything else was brilliant

I am considering asking my dealer or regular tyre supplier to swap whatever it comes delivered with to non run flat MPSS or Conti 6's.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I can recommend sport conti run flats very good grip and the main noise for me in the cabin is the wind noise from the mirrors.

Good writeup and I must admit I am not that impressed with the routing of the pro navigation and it's ability to go round traffic either.

Anyone know if there is a manual button to make it re calaculate a route?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Interestingly, the diesels get more seals than the petrols. I can't think what the engineers were thinking of.

I don't think the engineers were trying to make the 3-series more refined, can do it in a 5-series, so not an engineering problem as such.

Remember lower drive-by tyre sound levels don't always translate to a quieter cabin, some of the issue is how the sound transmits through the suspension (bushes) and subframe to the cabin.

I'd pick a tyre which others have found, through experience, is quieter on the F3x platforms.
Appreciate 0