F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > xDrive or Winters?...go easy now!
proTUNING Freaks

06-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

xDrive or Winters?...go easy now!

This may have been covered a thousand times in one way or another before, however here goes anyway...please don't berate me too much, but will accept some good old banter for mentioning the unmentionable words "winter tyres"!

Would I be better with Winter Tyres on S Drive or xDrive? I know both would be best for grip and traction, however as per my earlier thread I'm not sure about the xDrive height and claims of "a wallowy feel"?

P.s I'd put a poll up if I knew how.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Xdrive will help with traction on snow, but will do nothing to improve grip or braking distances! So in fact xdrive is probably more dangerous than sdrive on summer tyres as the sdrive won't get off your driveway and put you in danger of ploughing into someone or something!

So if you have to choose, it's sdrive with winters.

But, how much snow do you get in Cheshire?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

xDrive all the way.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
I look at it this way:

- X-drive should be about max traction and fantastic roadholding 365 days of the year. However, that means a quite different suspension setup to what BMW fit to the xdrives as standard. X-drive plus a Birds or ACS setup will deliver an excellent car, but you'll need to budget another £2k on top of the purchase price.

- If deep snow is an issue then you should be driving a Range Rover or such like. The 3-series even with X-drive won't cut it.

- If the occasional UK winter snap is what you're thinking of then S-drive with winters is a perfectly good solution. Plus, the winter tyres will help with braking and cornering, neither of which x-drive will help you with.

Me? - I'd love an x-drive with Birds suspension but the car is also a family car so I've gone with s-drive plus winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Xdrive will help with traction on snow, but will do nothing to improve grip or braking distances! So in fact xdrive is probably more dangerous than sdrive on summer tyres as the sdrive won't get off your driveway and put you in danger of ploughing into someone or something!

So if you have to choose, it's sdrive with winters.

But, how much snow do you get in Cheshire?
Not very much to be fair, only had a little bit over last couple of years. Last year I only got stuck (on summers) when I tried to get onto to my drive! Neighbour helped push me on and ended up kissing the Tarmac when she slipped as it found some traction

I think I'll spend the money on Winters instead of the xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
PeteGB335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Slightly Depends on where you live- if u are driving regularly through snow/ice in the winter, you may want to consider x-drive, but if that was the case i assume you would have winter rubber also and this wouldn't be a question. 95% of the time, winters on s-drive will serve u better than summers on x-drive. I'm in london, and winter rubber on my 335i are more than enough down south. In fact i only even put them on one season so far for a Cotswolds trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I have X drive and winters and it works well. But you still need to be careful, it doesn't make you invincible!

My next car may be a 340, so need to decide whether I will be happy losing X drive and retaining winter tyres.

I live in Scotland, so winter can be unpredictable!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

PS.

Remember winters are also very useful when temperatures drop and /or heavy rain. They are not only for snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I chose xdrive because of exactly the situation we had last week, monsoon rain making roads greasy like ice after a sunny spell.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
PeteGB335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown
PS.

Remember winters are also very useful when temperatures drop and /or heavy rain. They are not only for snow and ice.
Agreed on temp.

As a side note- read up on the relatively new Michelin Cross Climate- could be a good choice for something in the middle
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #11
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGB335i View Post
Agreed on temp.

As a side note- read up on the relatively new Michelin Cross Climate- could be a good choice for something in the middle
I actually looked at these last time I needed tyres, however they didn't do them in my sizes at the time and I'm only on 18's and standard Bridgestone S001's.

If I recall, Michelin e mailed me and said they would consider those sizes however it may not be until 2017.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

S drive and winters every time. Enjoy sport suspension and rear drive handling for 9 months and stick winters on from 1 dec to end of Feb.

I have conti winter contacts on and was BLOWN AWAY at how good they were on snow - I did a full on hard brake test on a back road on lying snow. No slip, no slide, just grip. Good winter tyres inspire confidence and go round corners than no 4wd will give you on summer tyres. I was dubious as this is my first lot of winter wheels and tyres but am sold, even this winter which was mild.

They are also great at pushing away standing water on the dual carriageway etc, no aquaplaning as the tread depth and sipes are very different.
      06-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
I live in Cheshire and have run rear wheel drive and Michelin Pilot Super Sports for years.

And I'm still alive.

I would back my Pilot Super Sports over winter tyres in the rain, over winter tyres, at anything above 4 or 5 degrees.
Agreed... We have quite a mild winder climate compared to some... Especially where I live...

I have only ever run winter tyres on one car I have owned and that was because, in the summer, it ran on Pilot Sport Cup tyres...

Otherwise, I have always run the summer tyres year-round and, in 34 years or so of doing so, have only ever once felt like I should have stayed at home when running in winter weather o the summer tyres...

Yes, I know this is not the case for the whole of the UK, but it is for where I live.....
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I live in Cheshire and have run rear wheel drive and Michelin Pilot Super Sports for years.

And I'm still alive.

I would back my Pilot Super Sports over winter tyres in the rain, over winter tyres, at anything above 4 or 5 degrees.
That's a very good advert for MPSS tyres!

As has been said, the winter climate is very different across the UK and not everyone is exposed to harsher winters. But have you ever used winter tyres to compare the differences?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #15
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Couple of months back I managed to get up and down 17% road on sdrive + winter tyres with about 5cm of snow on the ground and falling fast . Bit of wheel spinning but I'm still alive.

Admittedly going down was a lot more scary!! Locals we're flying down the road or I was just too chicken!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes I've driven winters and fully agree that at sub zero and particularly snowy conditions they are a must. X drive is far too compromised and unnecessary unless you live up a mountain.

In Cheshire. MPSS are your year round tyre.
I may have to have a look at these tyres when the time comes for me to change. They sound very good!

Will have to wait a while as "the boss" has told me we are saving for work to be done on the house.....
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
For me stopping is more important that getting moving in winter conditions around freezing temperatures.

Having experience in the Highlands where we have all kinds of winter conditions, tyres are more important than the drivetrain. RWD and winter tyres, far better for total car control than xDrive (AWD) on summer tyres.

My experience 'slush' at just above freezing is one of the worst conditions, it's where most summer tyres, on whatever they are fitted to go adrift. Slush-planing (hardly ever discussed) is so unpredictable, more so than aqua-planing. AWD does little to make a vehicle safer, tyres do the work in the conditions which are treacherous.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
For me stopping is more important that getting moving in winter conditions around freezing temperatures.

Having experience in the Highlands where we have all kinds of winter conditions, tyres are more important than the drivetrain. RWD and winter tyres, far better for total car control than xDrive (AWD) on summer tyres.

My experience 'slush' at just above freezing is one of the worst conditions, it's where most summer tyres, on whatever they are fitted to go adrift. Slush-planing (hardly ever discussed) is so unpredictable, more so than aqua-planing. AWD does little to make a vehicle safer, tyres do the work in the conditions which are treacherous.
Exactamundo!

Xdrive is bloody brilliant though, and if you're going to fit ACS springs anyway, there is absolutely no reason to choose sdrive instead of xdrive!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

For the Majority of England, you don't need winter tyres full stop.

The temperatures rarely drop sufficiently, also if following the below 7c bollox, then you equally have to change back to summers when it's 12c and over.

If you are entirely worried go for xdrive WITH winters, as that combination will simply kick the shit out of an Sdrive.

Again for majority of England, it's more placebo effect, let's face it likely 90% population bimble around on the same tyres all the time with limited problems.

If you live somewhere with pretty much guaranteed crap weather then winters should be mandatory.

Also if it's bad weather, what the fuck are you going out in the car for anyhow?

Stay at home simples
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #20
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
As many have already said, you should do winters regardless of xdrive or fwd or rwd.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #21
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Summer tyres do not suit Northern English winters in my opinion. However, neither do winters particularly... Though, I appreciate the wet weather and cold damp weather characteristics that they offer... I'd rather run winters in winter than summers!

I think I'll replace my winter rears with another set the same and then consider running a summer set and a replacing my winters with a cross climate set for winter use...

Could this be the ideal solution for UK use?
      06-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #22
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Summer tyres do not suit Northern English winters in my opinion. However, neither do winters particularly... Though, I appreciate the wet weather and cold damp weather characteristics that they offer... I'd rather run winters in winter than summers!

I think I'll replace my winter rears with another set the same and then consider running a summer set and a replacing my winters with a cross climate set for winter use...

Could this be the ideal solution for UK use?
I have been keeping an eye on these new all season tyres, sizing is the biggest issue, they don't seem to cater for bigger rims.

Yeah I think though these would be best all rounder, especially for an xdrive.
Appreciate 0