F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Non fault accident and insurance
proTUNING Freaks

06-05-2016, 04:17 AM   #1
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

Non fault accident and insurance

I had a rear end collision cuased by a careless driver who just hit me when starting from traffic lights. Rear bumper and diffuser are damaged. I called my insurer who sends me to accident repair center despite having a BMW garage on their list of insurer approved garages. When I mentioned warranty issues they still insist going to that particular center saying they cover their work with warranty so no worries. I wanted to go to BMW garage but my insurer said that in such a case that will be covet from my insurance affecting my no claims bonus, excess etc. I really don't understand that approach.
I have to say that I spent 3 hours of my prcious time on the phone trying to organize things while the faulty driver has a piece of mind and doesn't bother with anything. And this is only the begining.
Is there anything else I could do? Calling faulty driver insurer probably isn't the way to go, is it?
My insurer obviously said they don't know if that accident would affect my premium next year even if I wasn't at fault, ridiculous.

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:29 AM   #2
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Insurance companies are there to make profit. Getting repairs done the cheapest way possible sounds par for the course - though if the other guys side are paying you would think you'd get to decide where to have the damage fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:44 AM   #3
Cobstar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d

You can claim through third party's insurer if they accept liability. Then you don't have to pay and recover your excess. You just need to inform your insurer of incident.

You can choose your preferred repairer either way. It will not affect your no claims if deemed you were not at fault. You may find if you do this and it's your insurer they may not provide courtesy car. Check your policy.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
Andydf
Rep
Drives: 330e

There's a good chance your premium will go up next year. Even if it's a non-fault claim, it is still a claim if you go through your insurance. When they ask the question "have you had any claims, accidents or whatever in the last 5 years" you will say yes and up the premium goes.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2016, 04:59 AM   #5
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by piono View Post
I had a rear end collision cuased by a careless driver who just hit me when starting from traffic lights. Rear bumper and diffuser are damaged. I called my insurer who sends me to accident repair center despite having a BMW garage on their list of insurer approved garages. When I mentioned warranty issues they still insist going to that particular center saying they cover their work with warranty so no worries. I wanted to go to BMW garage but my insurer said that in such a case that will be covet from my insurance affecting my no claims bonus, excess etc. I really don't understand that approach.
I have to say that I spent 3 hours of my prcious time on the phone trying to organize things while the faulty driver has a piece of mind and doesn't bother with anything. And this is only the begining.
Is there anything else I could do? Calling faulty driver insurer probably isn't the way to go, is it?
My insurer obviously said they don't know if that accident would affect my premium next year even if I wasn't at fault, ridiculous.
Claim on the other party's insurance. Don't use a claims management company, they're disgusting and are part of the reason that insurance costs are so high. The other company's insurance will be happy if you direct with them as it will cost them less. You can also have it fixed wherever you choose.

I had a non-fault accident last year. Claimed on their insurance and they are obliged to provide you with an equivalent car to yours. The only convertible they could get hold of to replace my 120d was a 435d....shame...so I had that for 2 weeks.

It will affect your premium next year, annoyingly.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #6
FSE23
Major
Rep

Thanks for reply, the worst thing is I'm away for 3 days, can't do anything about it now. Then I'm going on holidays in 20 days time, not sure if they can fix my car however it is driveable anyway. I'll try to contact other party insurer to see what they say. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

I only ever go through the third parties insurer, I never even report it to my insurance company as you are not obliged to do so, although you obviously have to declare it when it comes to renewal time. You will always get a better deal by going direct, especially if there is no personal injury claim as they will fall over backwards to help you because they are not having to pay claim company costs, inflated claims, etc. They will also be much more amenable to you getting the work done at a body shop of your choice
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I had the same a few years back when somebody drove into the back of me.

She admitted full liability. I contacted her insurance company and told them where I wanted the car to go. They were ok with it.

Sadly, your premium will go up next year. According to insurance companies, you are now statistically more likely to be involved in an accident now! It's a joke!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
FSE23
Major
Rep

I wonder in what way I'm more likely to be involved in any accident. Does this car have any stigmata saying - I'd be in a accidnet soon? When you are hit from the back there is no way you could be more likely involved, even statisticaly. I don't get it. I'm too stupid I suppose.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:51 AM   #10
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Not all insurance companies load your premium for a no fault claim. I have been declaring one for the last 5 years (this year I am finally free of it) and have never had my premium increased as a result of it. Do a quote on a comparison site without the claim then add it in and see which premiums go up and which stay the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 04:08 AM   #11
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

From memory when I was looking to renew my policy this year,all the quotes I got with no claims bonus protection stated that with any claim my next renewal premium Could go up .
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #12
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

I don't ever like to praise insurance companies... But, 3 weeks ago my wife was out in her car & was hit from behind. Nothing serious, dented tailgate & cracked bumper.

The other driver must have informed their insurance company almost straight away (Admiral in this case).

10 minutes after she got home Admiral were on the phone. Car arranged for fixing, courtesy car & because we dealt direct, we didn't even need to inform our insurers.

Car fixed to a good standard, brand new (5 miles on the clock) courtesy car & no excess up front.

So... Claiming direct from the other party's insurance definately worth it...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #13
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
I don't ever like to praise insurance companies... But, 3 weeks ago my wife was out in her car & was hit from behind. Nothing serious, dented tailgate & cracked bumper.

The other driver must have informed their insurance company almost straight away (Admiral in this case).

10 minutes after she got home Admiral were on the phone. Car arranged for fixing, courtesy car & because we dealt direct, we didn't even need to inform our insurers.

Car fixed to a good standard, brand new (5 miles on the clock) courtesy car & no excess up front.

So... Claiming direct from the other party's insurance definately worth it...
You do need to inform your insurers.

"Any accidents, convictions or claims" is the standard wording. Failing to declare would be viewed as attempted fraud. Leading to a policy being cancelled. Which then must be declared for a decade or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #14
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

"Any accidents, convictions or claims" is the standard wording. Failing to declare would be viewed as attempted fraud. Leading to a policy being cancelled. Which then must be declared for a decade or so.
You are not obliged to tell your insurers of a no fault accident if you are claiming directly through the 3rd parties insurers, they only want to know if you are making the claim through them. You do of course have to declare the accident when you come to renew.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #15
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_al
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

You are not obliged to tell your insurers of a no fault accident if you are claiming directly through the 3rd parties insurers, they only want to know if you are making the claim through them. You do of course have to declare the accident when you come to renew.
Yes, this is also how I understand it. I was simply saying they didn't need involving for this incident.