F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320i advice please
Extreme Powerhouse

06-01-2016, 01:23 AM   #1
MikeN19
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3201 msport e93

320i advice please

Hey guys. Just need some advice. Had car serviced recently then two days ago after exiting the car for 15-20minutes upon getting in and driving again i had troubles. Engine sounded different car felt like it had less power. Died on me a couple times so i turned round and headed home car was okay at low speed but nothing if you put your foot down. And engine light came on flashing but went away after taking key out and putting back in. Next day i started car up to see if it was gone. Still the same and revs jumped up and down just idling... anyway found the problem to that when i looked under the bonnet the hoses that connect the airbox to the engine had come loose. Idiot who serviced my car must not have put it back on properly anyway. My question is do you think my engine is okay? Its basically been sucking in unfiltered air for like 3-4miles and a few minutes idling the next day. Everything seemed fine afterwards havent drove it properly yet as i only really have time to use it on weekends. Is there anything i should be doing now to make sure its fine? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I'd call the dealer and have a word, and to get in on record, but I wouldn't worry about the engine. The engine bay is quite well sealed and the chances are low of anything other than dust being drawn into the engine, especially over such a short distance.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:36 AM   #3
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

It will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:47 AM   #4
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I had the same kind of thing happen to me in a Clio many years ago. I drove about 20 miles just thinking I'd blown the exhaust, but the entire air filter had come loose.

Kept the car for another two years with no related issues... But, the electrical issues were immense...
      06-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #5
MikeN19
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I'd call the dealer and have a word, and to get in on record, but I wouldn't worry about the engine. The engine bay is quite well sealed and the chances are low of anything other than dust being drawn into the engine, especially over such a short distance.

Cheers watsey its an 07plate and i bought it private. So not sure where i stand with the dealer and that. Did think that it would be alright and that engine bay would be quite well sealed just wanted assurance from you more experianced ppll. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #6
MikeN19
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
It will be fine.
Cheers mate
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 03:49 AM   #7
MikeN19
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
I had the same kind of thing happen to me in a Clio many years ago. I drove about 20 miles just thinking I'd blown the exhaust, but the entire air filter had come loose.

Kept the car for another two years with no related issues... But, the electrical issues were immense...
Lool yeah mate i thought id blown the exhaust too cos of the sound i should of known straight away but i looked in first time at side of the road quickly and missed it. Good to know its jappened to others and theyve been alright. 20miles lmao . Take it electrical issuse had nothing to do with that
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 04:08 AM   #8
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post

Lool yeah mate i thought id blown the exhaust too cos of the sound i should of known straight away but i looked in first time at side of the road quickly and missed it. Good to know its jappened to others and theyve been alright. 20miles lmao . Take it electrical issuse had nothing to do with that
Electrical issues were purely down to it being French!

The car had 3 dashboards! The first had been done before I got the car and so the car had effectively been clocked!... Changed by the selling dealer also...

Caught them out when a different service advisor mentioned it! The normal one had the sense to deny all knowledge... They then did the second change and the major service for free! I quickly sold it with the legally obliged covering letter once the 3rd showed signs of failing.

However, the engine suffered no issues over my 2 year period of ownership!
      06-01-2016, 04:10 AM   #9
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

If you mean the little vacuum hoses on the left side of engine cover then the engine wouldn't have sucked in any air as its supplied by a vacuum pump.If you mean the main air intake again wouldn't worry as the amount of particles ingested would be insignificant.
Appreciate 0