F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > For those that own tanzanite blue
Studio RSR

05-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
JohnRob2016
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

For those that own tanzanite blue

Was the money well spent and are you still happy with your choice?

Standard colours so restricting and I still have time to change my colour from mineral grey...

I bet there are no smoked topaz or champagne quartz owners here!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Good question. When it's sparkly clean and the sunlight is bright, it's a wonderful colour but not one you'd notice from a distance. Up close and personal the metal flakes are the size of your fist, the colour's deep and shifts from purple to blue to cobalt. When it's dirty and overcast it looks like a flat blue, plain and utterly uninteresting.

Is it worth it? Difficult to answer. You've got to stay on top of it. You know you've got an Individual paint and you want it to look good, you'll clean it all the time, obsess over the weather and spot the swirls, bird drek and general dirt. Nobody will notice that you've got an unusually coloured car apart from the BMW enthusiasts so why bother?

For me, I think the range of paints available for a 3 Series are garbage, just banal. The only standard colour of note is EB but I see so many of them around and I wanted something different. However if you put EB and TB together and looked at them from a distance the EB is more obvious and striking. Up close the TB smashes EB into the long grass.

In summary, it's a pain in the arse to look after, looks shite in crap weather and shows up marks like nothing else but when the light's right it's epic.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
JohnRob2016
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Hmm. Makes it sound just like another colour and not one that is worth an extra £800+
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

When I've seen a few in the showrooms the fingerprints on them stand out like a sore thumb.
And they are all nice and shiny in the showroom (till someone touches them).

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
It's a lovely colour but I would not pay extra for it as most of the time it will just look like flat navy blue/black. I had a car resprayed in Tanzanite - wish I'd picked something else once I had to live with it.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 02:06 AM   #6
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

There is a guy with a 4GC in Champagne Quartz and also has a M4 vert in Tanzanite, so guess he'd give feedback. I love Tanzanite, but CQ is really growing on me. As for ST, that so depends on wheel colour (black, bi over std silver) and SPG to lift it. Again, I think it's a mother colour that need looking after to look its best.

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 1
FamousVX118.50
      05-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #7
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
There is a guy with a 4GC in Champagne Quartz and also has a M4 vert in Tanzanite, so guess he'd give feedback. I love Tanzanite, but CQ is really growing on me. As for ST, that so depends on wheel colour (black, bi over std silver) and SPG to lift it. Again, I think it's a mother colour that need looking after to look its best.
I own the M4 vert in TB and my wife has a 4GC in CQ.

I think TB is truly stunning. Yes it shows marks and swirls like any other dark colour will and it needs careful cleaning but the metallic flecks that shine when the sun hits are truly amazing. I also love that even when the sun isn't out, it is a lovely classy colour without being brash and it really suits the Ferric Grey wheels and gives the M4 a refined but mean look that I think suits its character.

CQ is also visually stunning. It was detailed recently and it completely changes when the sun hit it. It definitely needs the white leather in my opinion to give the right contrast. It also looks good in normal light and certainly looks more interesting than the normal colours available.

The above are just my (very biased) opinions. I've included a couple of pics that I hopes helps you. Both cars were detailed which I definitely think is worth the money to show them at their best and makes cleaning / reducing swirls so much easier.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
      05-29-2016, 06:29 AM   #8
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430D m sport

Had a Merc in T.B. and yes it looked great in sunlight but it was a pain in the ass to keep clean, showed every mark ... cost me a fortune in car shampoo
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
Eddieo
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d

I`m waiting on my 435d in Tanzanite Blue
Is it worth the extra..... i`m not sure about that
But the Misses said i could only get it in TB or i was not getting it.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

I am going for Glacier Silver with red coral leather. Choice is limited and I do not wish to pay extra for individual paint. Would have preferred mineral white but not available !
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965
I am going for Glacier Silver with red coral leather. Choice is limited and I do not wish to pay extra for individual paint. Would have preferred mineral white but not available !
GS is pretty rare these days, really like it on the few cars I see.
      05-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #12
Biffa66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965
I also wanted MW for mine, the dealers even got an X5 and 235i both in MW in to the showroom and outside so I could see the colour.
Loved it, sat down to order the car and the dealer seemed as bemused as I was that it wasn't available on a 3 m sport, especially when it is available on a 3 sport and lux??!!
Turns out it's still available on m sport 2 and 5 series. BMW need to have a word with their design team about the appalling lack of colours in m sport 3's and 4's.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
Englishbloke
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d TB

Don't regret it! Love it to bits. The colour changes each time you see it and always puts a smile on your face.

Yes in shady weather it isn't as dramatic, it's more of a classy black. With f30s being so common, it's great to have a rare colour.

If the pics work in the app, here you go...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #14
TB_330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 330i Tanzanite Blue

Obviously somewhat biased but love my TB F30. As others have said, it's not particularly striking in overcast or dull light but in the sun and under Street lights, it looks amazing. The depth and flake really have to be seen to be believed. I like the fact its pretty standard looking but pops in certain conditions.

Concur that it's a colour you have to keep clean, its it particularly forgiving with dirt. I'm generally washing it once every two to three weeks.

I am very happy with my choice, the only other colour I considered was Champagne Quartz.

If the cost means you have to cut something else from spec, could be more of a hard sell but I don't regret it. For me, the colour is fundamental to how emotive the car is - love walking up to it when it's clean like today:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

TB is an immaculate colour, but needs well looked after.
Probably the silver would require the least attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #16
Eddieo
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d

I'm waiting on my 435d in TB.
What approach would you guys have with regards to Washing and Waxing.
It's Also coming with Supergard protection.
Do I have to wait a while before waxing.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #17
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Personally I would not bother with Supaguard, especially if done my dealer at a ridiculous price. Well worth getting it detailed and protection applied like Gtechniq Serum which provides a protective layer and makes washing a doddle.

Lots of posts about washing but personally I think the most important part is spending time in the rinsing before even touching the paint. Decent snow foam and wheel cleaner also very helpful. Two bucket technique, grit guard, lambs wool mitt with decent shampoo - Gtechniq also make a wash. Car should be as good as new.
Appreciate 0