F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What's the most ridiculous car "challenge" you've had?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

What's the most ridiculous car "challenge" you've had?

So, on the way home tonight (about 22:15) from my weekly 5-a-side I was sat waiting at some lights when a '52 Toyota Corolla pulled up along side with a couple of yoofs in it blazing out the latest choones loud enough to wake the dead. Suddenly it goes quiet, and then the roar of a mighty 1.2 / 1.6(?) filled the air. I looked across (having previously tried to ignore them) to see a pair of grinning idiots (presumably either drunk or high) pointing at the road ahead and revving their engine even harder. The lights changed and.......I won't continue the story any further, as whether I let them wheel spin away in a plume of smoke and have their moment of testosterone filled fun, or decided to use just a fraction of the 300+ BHP and show them what I could do is irrelevant!

Instead I'll just pose the question - 'What, as a driver, is the most ridiculous 'challenge' ever had?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

A milk float.

Admittedly we were not technically in a car.

We had borrowed a golf buggy at about 4am and where heading 'home'.

Came to this set of lights, they were on red, so we figured we best stop.

Next thing 'Ernie' is in the other lane.

We asked for some milk n orange juice.

'Ernie' then said yes if we could beat him to next junction.

Blatantly 'Ernie' beat us, never trust a milkman (that's what my dad used to say).

I think back at some stuff and wonder just how we never got knicked.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Not going to lie, I had a newer 4.4L biturbo Merc CLS AMG try to play cat and mouse with me on my way home from St.Louis. Needless to say my 335i on Map 5 and 5.5g of e85 made him work really hard to keep up. Especially since my plates are so misleading.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
Not going to lie, I had a newer 4.4L biturbo Merc CLS AMG try to play cat and mouse with me on my way home from St.Louis. Needless to say my 335i on Map 5 and 5.5g of e85 made him work really hard to keep up. Especially since my plates are so misleading.
is your plate have a similar number to your profile name?

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanYoro35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
is your plate have a similar number to your profile name?
No not at all hahah. It was from my moms previous car a Mini Cooper S and reads "LAMCHOP"
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiverBird View Post
So, on the way home tonight (about 22:15) from my weekly 5-a-side I was sat waiting at some lights when a '52 Toyota Corolla pulled up along side with a couple of yoofs in it blazing out the latest choones loud enough to wake the dead. Suddenly it goes quiet, and then the roar of a mighty 1.2 / 1.6(?) filled the air. I looked across (having previously tried to ignore them) to see a pair of grinning idiots (presumably either drunk or high) pointing at the road ahead and revving their engine even harder. The lights changed and.......I won't continue the story any further, as whether I let them wheel spin away in a plume of smoke and have their moment of testosterone filled fun, or decided to use just a fraction of the 300+ BHP and show them what I could do is irrelevant!

Instead I'll just pose the question - 'What, as a driver, is the most ridiculous 'challenge' ever had?
I just had my Dinan springs installed a couple days before and decided to take some backroad and twisties to test out the body roll and how planted it was. Just happened to have a 2013 Audi S4 follow me as well. Well, to review both the springs and what happened, the Audi had a VERY hard time keeping up with me around corners and curves (Lol understeer) the Dinan springs, I felt, helped the car stay completely planted and I'm able to go around most corners/curves at quite higher speeds than I normally could.

When I finally excited the backroads, the Audi S4 caught up to me about 3 minutes afterwards and at the stoplight gave me a thumbs up before heading another direction.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
GaryUFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G32 630iGT M Sport+

In my 2001Corolla back the day, I challenged a Lamborghini Murcielago to a race off the lights somewhere near Knutsford. Completely tongue in cheek. He saw the funny side and obliged. You can guess the rest.

More recently, and not a challenge as such, I was cruising on the M6 Toll at about 75, and spotted an F12 pootling in the middle lane ahead. I put my foot down slightly to catch up and get a closer look. I started to overtake, drew level to admire the car. He looked across, I nodded appreciation, he grinned, looked ahead, and all I could hear was that beautiful V12 sound as he accelerated at a phenomenal rate. Never saw him again. Beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #8
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

When I had my lotus Elise I would get all manner of lads in hot hatches try it on.
I honestly felt a duty to not go round corners as fast as I could because I didn't want to see them pile into the ditch in my mirror. It had cornering speeds in a completely different league.

On the other hand, I've surprised many a "sporty" car in my auto hilux, half press the throttle and hold the beast back with the brake until the lights change and it moves off in a ridiculous way for a two ton lunk of metal
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 01:47 AM   #9
BnB
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Straight line acceleration always seems such a pointless test of "manhood" as it's mostly just a test of hp/kg with a few variables like traction and gearbox. Little to do with the driver. Taking corners at speed is another matter. I'm a bit rubbish though :-(
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2016, 02:24 AM   #10
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

The f31 320d that got his ass handed to him yesterday!
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 02:33 AM   #11
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUFM View Post
In my 2001Corolla back the day, I challenged a Lamborghini Murcielago to a race off the lights somewhere near Knutsford. Completely tongue in cheek. He saw the funny side and obliged. You can guess the rest.

More recently, and not a challenge as such, I was cruising on the M6 Toll at about 75, and spotted an F12 pootling in the middle lane ahead. I put my foot down slightly to catch up and get a closer look. I started to overtake, drew level to admire the car. He looked across, I nodded appreciation, he grinned, looked ahead, and all I could hear was that beautiful V12 sound as he accelerated at a phenomenal rate. Never saw him again. Beautiful!
Ha, both great stories and showing the better side of 'challenges'.

I also had a 2001 Corolla (as a park at the supermarket / in town car rather than taking my C63 AMG) and had an off-the-lights session with an Audi RS4. His start was rubbish so I got the jump, with him passing me once well into second gear. He didn't look impressed, and no doubt told everyone about the chavvy Toyota that tried to race him, however I just wanted to hear him roar past me
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:37 AM   #12
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

New focus rs 2 nights ago straight line from the lights ��
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:31 AM   #13
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I recall someone in an Astra GTE trying it on when I had my Volvo 850 T5-R. As you can imagine, that didn't end well for him. Even in yellow with the dark alloys, it was still the ultimate 'sleeper'.

Boringly, nobody ever did that when I had the Lotus Carlton. But those things were a lot easier to recognise !
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:57 AM   #14
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Back few years I had a Nissan Primera GT, which despite the name was a great car.
I used to drive it like I stole it and it was always surprising what I could beat, or just about keep up with.
If guys in flash cars aren't prepared to open them up a bit, they can be kept with. Much to their dismay!!!
      05-27-2016, 04:12 AM   #15
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep22jg View Post
Back few years I had a Nissan Primera GT, which despite the name was a great car.
I used to drive it like I stole it and it was always surprising what I could beat, or just about keep up with.
If guys in flash cars aren't prepared to open them up a bit, they can be kept with. Much to their dismay!!!
We had similar with our Yaris T Sport (debadged and modified engine etc).

It used to upset / suprise other drives, the power to weight was great and on Toyos it was a roller skate.

Remember upsetting a Celica driver (Wolves 2005), he just could not get past or beat this little Yaris lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 04:17 AM   #16
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I remember a bog standard mondeo years ago convinced he was keeping up with me in my TVR. I was obviously quite easily pulling away every time the traffic cleared but it was very irritating him being stapled to by rear bumper when he caught up.
When the dual carrage way cleared again I dropped a gear, probably deafened him (more or less straight through pipes..) and he was soon out of sight.

Quite a few miles down the road I was trundling along and he came screaming up to me again! I couldnt be bothered so just gradually reduced my speed so he over took in clouds of smoke as he floored the tdci..

I do wonder why people bother and then seem to get upset?!

Bar a 525d no one has wanted to "prove them selves" against the 340 so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 05:54 AM   #17
simon the pieman
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f44 M235i gran coupe

A few years ago when I had an e46 M3 most of the time twats were trying to out accelerate me even if I was just casually overtaking them on a dual carriage way at a very gentle speed.
One time said twat in a Vauxhall zafira gsi turbo shitebox tried just this. Of course he was dealt very efficiently and effectively. Although I don't condone this type of behaviour, sometimes you have to do what's necessary
Should stick to transporting his children at safe speeds rather than thinking he had a well balanced great handling mini bus.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #18
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

A couple of years ago whilst down on the south coast (A27 I think) had a Ferrari 458 in front. I floored it and he left me for dust. If you come across one of these being driven like that - dont even bother!! It's motorbike quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep22jg View Post
On the same holiday I had one of these ^^ up my chaff and thought I'd pull away easily going onto a dual carriageway. Was a bit of a struggle TBH - it did pull away but only slightly, was very surprised.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 05-27-2016 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #19
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

When I had my Impreza STi I was challenged to a race by a neighbour's son. He had a Prelude with a "phat 'zorst" and a popular brand of aftermarket air filter. He was convinced that these mods had increased power to "prolly 270 brake innit". I declined his offer and moved house immediately.

Most recently I was tailgated for 5 miles by an e46 328i - clearly driven by a moron.
      05-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #20
GaryUFM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
He was convinced that these mods had increased power to "prolly 270 brake innit". I declined his offer and moved house immediately.
Ha! I just disturbed a neighbouring sunbather laughing out loud to this!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #21
GaryUFM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
We had similar with our Yaris T Sport (debadged and modified engine etc).

It used to upset / suprise other drives, the power to weight was great and on Toyos it was a roller skate.

Remember upsetting a Celica driver (Wolves 2005), he just could not get past or beat this little Yaris lol.
My missus had an excellent sleeper: a first gen (J reg) 1.9d Clio. Was beat up and 10yo at the time. We both would get people trying to beat us off the lights (not racing us as such, just thinking they'd get round a beat up old Clio easily), and they rarely did, and if so they had to work for it. It did sound like you were in the cockpit of a Lancaster bomber above 25mph though, and without power steering, you'd get out with arms like Popeye, but great fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #22
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

Had a good play with an 335 e92 a few weeks ago. I was in front driving along the country roads in Lincolnshire doing a bit of overtaking to find a quiet spot and he was behind me the whole way.

We had 1 van left and I knew as soon as I overtook the van he was going to floor it so I did what any man would do and did the same. We had a few miles of excellent empty country roads before I turned off. I drive a 320d so I was never going to pull away from him but in my mind we were going plenty quick enough round those bends.
Appreciate 0