E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Overheated

02-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
greekbmw
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe blk/red

Engine Overheated

i was driving yesterday home from work when all of a sudden a light came on on the dash and it was the engine temperature light. i stopped the car and read in the owners manual that the car was over heating and i was like "WHAT?????" anyways i stopped the car and shut it off opened the hood and there was liquid everywhere by where the engine coolent is at. well after that i drove it home and notiched that somehow the car took over and it would not let me pass 45mph and it would stay in 4th gear and it was at 2500 rpms. when i got home i just let it sit there for the night and today it was cooled off and drove it to the dealership. the light didnt come back on until i was like 2 minutes away from the dealership and i was hoping i was going to make it. all in all i think this is kinda weird cause i only have 8600 miles on my car but what can u do all i know is, is that its under warranty and i dont have to pay for it. i just hope this is the beginning of anymore problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

A while ago someone here had a very similar experience, it turned out to be a faulty waterpump.

They replaced it and I havent seen him report any other complaints since.

Dont worry, im shure you will be 100% again soon.
      02-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbmw
i was driving yesterday home from work when all of a sudden a light came on on the dash and it was the engine temperature light. i stopped the car and read in the owners manual that the car was over heating and i was like "WHAT?????" anyways i stopped the car and shut it off opened the hood and there was liquid everywhere by where the engine coolent is at. well after that i drove it home and notiched that somehow the car took over and it would not let me pass 45mph and it would stay in 4th gear and it was at 2500 rpms. when i got home i just let it sit there for the night and today it was cooled off and drove it to the dealership. the light didnt come back on until i was like 2 minutes away from the dealership and i was hoping i was going to make it. all in all i think this is kinda weird cause i only have 8600 miles on my car but what can u do all i know is, is that its under warranty and i dont have to pay for it. i just hope this is the beginning of anymore problems.
Greekbmw, I believed you have the same problem as me. Check out my post. I have some photos with the fluids spilling in the engine compartment. You should be OK after they change out your water pump (assuming your water pump fail).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5021
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

No big deal... It happens to the best of them.. I had a brand new Toyota Tacoma a few years ago, and it's water-pump blew at 5000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
greekbmw
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe blk/red

thats exactly what my car looked like yesterday. anyways i went back to the dealership after school and i saw the car and the mechanic working on it and he did tell its the water pump so they gave me a loaner car for the weekend and i should have my baby back on monday.
Appreciate 0