F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pigeon Post Mortem
Studio RSR

05-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #1
NorthEastX5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 3.0d M-Sport / 435i F36

Pigeon Post Mortem

Lower centre m-sport grill now replaced. Part cost £36 fitting was another £100 as it was a bumper off job, bloody birds!!!!!!

put car in reverse on leaving dealer and dashboard lit up with parking sensor system "inactive" warnings.

dealer was closing so I agreed to take car home. upon reaching home and manually activating system via the button near shifter it all works fine. engage reverse all fine. today used car few times, all fine error has gone away.

popped car back to dealer today and they removed bumper FOC to check connections and also then dumped errors codes from car. the following codes had been logged at some point (see attached).

Technician said there was no visible damage to sensor or wiring and its possible the codes were generated at point of impact as that momentarily may have "shook" sensor enough to create these.

Does that sound plausible????

Now the fix is to check wiring and replace sensor but as the error has disappeared and not recurred I'm tempted to just see how it goes. seems to be working perfectly.

Cost to replace sensor and wiring is £285 which i'm fine with but I don't like throwing away money needlessly especially if this is just a temporary set of codes generated at the moment some object hit the car.

dealer seems to think that is right thing to do and to be fair to them they didn't try and persuade me to get it replaced just for the sake of it.

thoughts? would you do same? Part of me thinks sod it just get it swapped..but then part of me thinks...stop being OCD its a sensor....see how it goes don't waste nearly £300 for nothing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 05:46 AM   #2
NorthEastX5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
By the way.
Did the bird get a proper Christian burial?
if that entails me extracting it with gardening gloves on, dumping it into a bin bag along with its 10000 feathers it ejected across the radiators???....then yes
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Find it hard to believe that a pigeon going through your grille would (even momentarily) shake loose the wiring connectors to the sensors, which then magically re-seat themselves. Think the tech just didn't want to say "No idea".

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:02 AM   #4
NorthEastX5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Find it hard to believe that a pigeon going through your grille would (even momentarily) shake loose the wiring connectors to the sensors, which then magically re-seat themselves. Think the tech just didn't want to say "No idea".
either that or when they removed the bumper again today they noticed something wasn't put back quite as securely as it should and didn't want to say as it meant i'd had to come back 2nd day in a row....you'd hope if that was case they'd just "fess up".

service advisor did say "technician has removed bumper and reconnected everything and we've had the senior technician check his work...." hmmmmmm
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

leave it and see if the problem reappears.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

If it's just a front parking sensor I would leave it and see how it goes. Have the car running and manually switch on the parking system and get someone to walk across the line of all 4 sensors just to check if they are all working correctly. I wouldn't spend £300 unless the error came back, it could easily just have been a loose connector with them removing and refitting the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #7
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I wouldn't worry about it. The car does all sorts of weird stuff when wiring is disconnected and then t sort of resets itself afterwards.

This is most likely being caused because the bumper was removed and wiring disconnected/reconnected.

I remember some years ago having a car remapped and after it had been on the rolling road (rear wheels only) it threw a steering error as soon as you ran it.

If you took it down the road, the fault cleared within a couple of minutes. The guy who ran the rolling road knew all about it and said nothing to worry about - and he was right.

Hope that helps.

Rukka

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0