E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Continuous power to center console socket?

02-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
Helmar
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, Barrique red

Continuous power to center console socket?

I have a Motorola V551 cell phone that works flawlessly with my BMW bluetooth.

The only problem is that this phone is kept in the car 100% of the time.

Since there's no power to the center console socket when the car's off, I can't keep the phone on all of the time. I have to turn it off when I leave the car and turn it back on when I get in, or the phone battery drains.

Is there any way of keeping the power to the center console socket even when the car is off?
Beige w/Dakota Leather Upholstery
Poplar Natural Wood Trim
Premium package
Cold Weather Package
Comfort Access
Active Cruise Control
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
StevoSEA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i(SA) TiAg/Blk ZSP 6mt

sounds like this is more an issue with the phone battery not staying charged properly. I have a low end verizon picture phone and it stays charged at least 3-4 days befor needing a charge. The times that you are charging the phone (when driving your vehicle should more than offset the time it is on and not being charged) I would have the phone checked.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
E90
Bemuri
Rep
Drives: 2013/320i AxDrive Alpine White

There is nothing wrong with your phone when there is no power in the center console .I have tried my dealer to look into this problem.He says that he cannot do anything about it since it comes like that from the factory.It seems to be a safety factor not to leave anything charging while the engine is not running.
Alpine Weiss 320i,(man)sport package,17"Breyton Inspiration wheels,through load system,proff radio,hifi speakers,bi-xenons,auto air-condition,alarm,light package,pdc,rainsensor,cruise control,cup holders,heated seats,headlamp washers,tinted windows rear,Ac-Schnitzer aluminium pedals.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmar
I have a Motorola V551 cell phone that works flawlessly with my BMW bluetooth.

The only problem is that this phone is kept in the car 100% of the time.

Since there's no power to the center console socket when the car's off, I can't keep the phone on all of the time. I have to turn it off when I leave the car and turn it back on when I get in, or the phone battery drains.

Is there any way of keeping the power to the center console socket even when the car is off?
I changed my x551 to a v557 and now get easy 4-5 days and up to 7 days occasionally while not on a charger (testing purposes only). I switched just for that reason. I have a cradle in my 6er, but operates just lile all MOST bus equipped new bimmers, in that the sockest, 12v all disappear when cars go to sleep. As long as I left phone in car (v551) it was ok except if I used other cars over the weekend and it would be dead by Monday. Now I can leave in car or take with me in other cars without a charger and no dead battery. Big difference. v557 looks/feels same as v551 and is exact same form factor as v551. Does have some internet access but I do not use it much.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

They do that so you dont have a flat battery

The 5 Series had many flat batteries due to phones being left on charge, so they disabled it