BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Paint Protection Film

05-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Durham M2 CS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS

Paint Protection Film

I have my car booked in for Paint Protection Film later this week. I intend to have the front bumper, wings/fenders, full bonnet/hood and mirrors covered.
I was just wondering if anyone who has done any mileage in their car has any advice on any other areas to have covered?
I was wondering if the film the manufacturer has applied forward of the rear wheelarch was sufficient?
I was thinking of perhaps getting the sills/rockers done too?
Also, the lower rear bumper/fender area behind the wheels?
I would be grateful to hear if there are any other areas I should specify for protection.
Covering the whole car is not an option due to cost.
Thanks.

Last edited by Durham M2 CS; 05-21-2016 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Out of curiosity, how long do you intend to keep your car for? I'm considering PPF for the front bumper only. In had my last car for 13 years (350Z) and the front bumper was the only place that needed PPF. in never did it though.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Durham M2 CS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-too View Post
Out of curiosity, how long do you intend to keep your car for? I'm considering PPF for the front bumper only. In had my last car for 13 years (350Z) and the front bumper was the only place that needed PPF. in never did it though.
I would think 4 years at least. But perhaps longer if I really like it. It is such a shame that you can't get front flaps for this car. I just forsee lots of stone damage due to the exposed sills/rockers and flared rear side panels.
I've never had PPF before. But I feel quite precious about this car.

Last edited by Durham M2 CS; 05-21-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Durham View Post
I have my car booked in for Paint Protection Film later this week. I intend to have the front bumper, wings/fenders, full bonnet/hood and mirrors covered.
I was just wondering if anyone who has done any mileage in their car has any advice on any other areas to have covered?
I was wondering if the film the manufacturer has applied forward of the rear wheelarch was sufficient?
I was thinking of perhaps getting the sills/rockers done too?
Also, the lower rear bumper/fender area behind the wheels?
I would be grateful to hear if there are any other areas I should specify for protection.
Covering the whole car is not an option due to cost.
Thanks.
I have full front and many other bits done on mine. I have bumper, full hood, full front fenders, headlights, A-Pillars, mirrors, front on roofline (quarter roof), rockers/area behind each tire on wheel arch, door handle cups (finger nail protection), rear fenders (about 4 inches higher than factory film), and luggage area on top of bumper. Rockers/area behind tires are probably the most vulnerable due to rocks kicking up from your own tires. I actually protected that area when driving to get my PPF put on as my installer reiterated covering that area.

I intend on keeping my car for at least 5-10 years (depends if my hankering on getting a Porsche can be contained, lol).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 05:19 AM   #5
Durham M2 CS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
I have full front and many other bits done on mine. I have bumper, full hood, full front fenders, headlights, A-Pillars, mirrors, front on roofline (quarter roof), rockers/area behind each tire on wheel arch, door handle cups (finger nail protection), rear fenders (about 4 inches higher than factory film), and luggage area on top of bumper. Rockers/area behind tires are probably the most vulnerable due to rocks kicking up from your own tires. I actually protected that area when driving to get my PPF put on as my installer reiterated covering that area.

I intend on keeping my car for at least 5-10 years (depends if my hankering on getting a Porsche can be contained, lol).
What did you use to protect those areas prior to your installation? I have a 160 mile drive to my installer.
Also, do you consider the factory film on the rear fenders does not extend high enough?

Last edited by Durham M2 CS; 05-22-2016 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Durham View Post
What did you use to protect those areas prior to your installation? I have a 160 mile drive to my installer.
Also, do you consider the factory film on the rear fenders does not extend high enough?
I used some stuff that I purchased from Target (it's basically shelf contact paper) as it was fairly inexpensive and I didn't feel like taking hours wrapping the car as I didn't have the time on the day that I picked up the car.

There are a bunch of different solutions including Road Wrap, Trac Wrap (Xpel product but expensive), 3M painters tape, and spray on solutions such as Road Warrior or the 3M spray on solution. I only had to go 40 miles, so I probably could have got away with having no protection on the front, but make sure that you cover the areas behind the tires, so the paint doesn't chip before you get the car wrapped.

As for the rear fenders, my installer recommended getting the fenders reapplied a bit higher up (like Porsche 911s) due to rock chips flying up and hitting right above the area the factory film sits. I went to the middle of the arch - I'll try to find a picture.

Picture of the temporary wrap that I used:

Picture of rear fender:

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
Durham M2 CS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
I used some stuff that I purchased from Target (it's basically shelf contact paper) as it was fairly inexpensive and I didn't feel like taking hours wrapping the car as I didn't have the time on the day that I picked up the car.

There are a bunch of different solutions including Road Wrap, Trac Wrap (Xpel product but expensive), 3M painters tape, and spray on solutions such as Road Warrior or the 3M spray on solution. I only had to go 40 miles, so I probably could have got away with having no protection on the front, but make sure that you cover the areas behind the tires, so the paint doesn't chip before you get the car wrapped.

As for the rear fenders, my installer recommended getting the fenders reapplied a bit higher up (like Porsche 911s) due to rock chips flying up and hitting right above the area the factory film sits. I went to the middle of the arch - I'll try to find a picture.

Picture of the temporary wrap that I used:

Picture of rear fender:

Thanks for the information and the pics. Unfortunately we don't have Target here in the UK. But I'll be trying to track down a similar product over the next few days.
I will also be talking with my installer about the rear fenders.

I'll be taking extra care on the journey, but I'm sure it will be nerve wracking until we arrive hopefully unscathed!
Appreciate 0