F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Courtesy cars - comparisons with your 3
ARMA SPEED

05-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Courtesy cars - comparisons with your 3

I guess many have had their car in for the odd thing and picked up a courtesy car. Interesting isn't it, to compare with your 3 and see how it stacks up? I never ask for anything special so generally get something a bit mundane. I currently have a 218d Active Tourer Luxury spec while my F31 330d is in for an iDrive problem. Two previous ones were a 320d xDrive, sport trim, and a 220i coupe. All of them are good cars, with strengths and weaknesses. Anyone else like to provide observations on cars they've had?

320d xDrive Sport trim

Liked:

- xDrive. Nice sense of pull from all 4 corners. You can really feel it.
- Engine. 20d engine has strong pull, surprising urge and decent turn of pace.

Disliked:

- xDrive. That sweet, rear biased sporty feel to the handling is totally gone. Chassis less communicative, more floppy and generally less rewarding. (Maybe a function also of non-MSport suspension.
- Engine. I could never live with that gravel in a blender noise from the engine in what should be a sporty saloon. Doesn't fit with my idea of what a 3 should be. The tuneful 6 of the 30d is far preferable to my ears.

220i coupe

Liked:

- (Actually loved) that sweet, darty handling. Less weight over the front wheels, and the sense that you can cheekily snick into any gap and sneak through with a mere flick of the wheel. Finger tip feel. Very, very sweet. Felt like a real little sports car.

Disliked:

- (Actually hated) that totally gutless 20i engine. No midrange and out of puff just as you think it ought to start getting interesting. Needs 25% more power.

218d Active Tourer Luxury spec

Liked:

- lovely spacious cabin. Rear far more comfortable than my F31. Girls (18 and 10) tell me it is far better in the back and want me to buy one (see below for what I have to say about that idea).
- calm, supple, ride. Undoubtedly a function of the fat tyres and normal suspension.
- engine. Now I always thought if I got a car like this I could not abide anything less than a 20d. But now I'm not so sure! This 218d has plenty of urge and enough in the higher range too. The 4 pot sounds awful yes, but is mostly quite muted and doesn't seem so out of place in this type of car than in the F30.

Disliked:

- Cabin quality. Way, way, way inferior to the 3. It doesn't seem that special at all. This would be a significant downer.
- Turbo lag. My oh my it is awful. Put your foot down and it seems a good second before the power comes on stream. In the 30d it is perceptible but not prominent. In the 218d AT it is prominent to a fault.

Overall the 218d AT is a family car and doesn't hold a candle to the far superior 330d MSport as a driving machine. Would I swap it? Despite better comfort and practicality, not in a million years, regardless of what the girls say.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
I had a Toyota Avensis before any one starts

Enough said.
      05-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Jim-Bow
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Renault mini suv thing (kanga? capture?) rental guy was telling me how it the sought after 0.9 engine! - and he was serious!!

Atrocious in pretty much every way (at least for my needs of motorway commuting) The only redeeming quality was I loved the bee-em when I got it back.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I am always impressed by the 20d engine, usually in a 320d, and occasionally a 420d. It feels far more urgent than you might expect. The noise isn't good though.

The occasional 116i Sport has impressed too. Nice smooth engine and reasonable handling. Just have to remember not to go for a quick overtake...

Since fitting the ACS springs I am always a bit disappointed with the handling of any other 3 or 4 series. I think sDrive M Sport owners in particular may not realise just how much their cars can be improved with a simple change. I really don't get why BMW still fit such mediocre suspension components even to M Sport cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
M40CCA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xdrive LCI msport

Not a big comparison but

My F30 335d is in the dealer

Courtesy car F31 335d

The F31 doesn't feel as planted to the road as mine don't know if this is just a mind game thing with it been that bit bigger but it just doesn't
I thought it might be the m performance kit fitted to mine but surely it doesn't make that much of a difference only cosmetically I would think
Do like the extra boot space on the f31 though so much easier throwing the pushchair and kids things in the boot, also the boot opening and closing on key is a nice touch
It has white individual merino leather which when they dropped it off had me really considering it but after 2 days in it with the kids no chance!!
One thing I will be ordering on my next one is the pro nav love how you can split the screen

Overall it's a really good car just not for me over the F30
      05-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M40CCA View Post
Not a big comparison but

Courtesy car F31 335d

The F31 doesn't feel as planted to the road as mine don't know if this is just a mind game thing with it been that bit bigger but it just doesn't
I thought it might be the m performance kit fitted to mine but surely it doesn't make that much of a difference only cosmetically I would think
Do like the extra boot space on the f31 though so much easier throwing the pushchair and kids things in the boot, also the boot opening and closing on key is a nice touch
It has white individual merino leather which when they dropped it off had me really considering it but after 2 days in it with the kids no chance!!
One thing I will be ordering on my next one is the pro nav love how you can split the screen

Bit of a long shot, but have you checked the tyre pressures in the one you are driving? If they are off, it won't handle as good.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #7
DarrenL_007
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport GC

Garage List
Never had a 6 cylinder courtesy car always had entry level base models and never enjoyed one more than my own.

Just booked my 430d GC in for its first service at 12k miles next month with my supplying dealer and I asked for a 3/440i or an M3/M4. They said they have no say in which courtesy cars get allocated so I suggested I go to my local dealership which is much bigger. They quickly remembered that one of the staff currently has a 440i GC and said I could have that for the day.

Mineral Grey / Ivory White Dakota Leather / Reversing Camera / Folding/Auto Dipping Mirrors / Park Assist / Sun Protection Glass / Electric Glass Sunroof / Heated Steering Wheel / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / 19" 704M Alloys / Digital Cockpit / Head-up Display / Wifi Hotspot / Driving Assistant / Speed Limit Display / Harmon Kardon Loudspeakers / High-Beam Assist / Enhanced Bluetooth - Wireless Charging / Online Entertainment / M Sport Brakes / Comfort Access / Extended Storage
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
M40CCA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xdrive LCI msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:
Originally Posted by M40CCA View Post
Not a big comparison but

Courtesy car F31 335d

Bit of a long shot, but have you checked the tyre pressures in the one you are driving? If they are off, it won't handle as good.
I have 2.2bar in both fronts
2.3 in rear left
2.4 in rear right

So could be that
      05-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

I had an M135i when I first took my 335d in for service. I enjoyed the drive but it was a manual and I felt glad I had opted for the 8AT. Also, even in top-notch guise, I felt the 1er cabin was a significant step down from the 3.

The second time I took the 335d in they gave me a 520d which had so little fuel the warning light was on before I had even left the dealer car park. I didn't like it at all and felt glad I had opted for a six pot. I'm not a fan of the 4 pot diesel but in the 5er it felt noticeably underpowered.

I disliked the 520d so much I asked if they could provide something a little more interesting next time.

The third time I got an M4 for the day. It was black with Sakhir leather and was fantastic. I remember thinking that it wasn't "that much" faster than my 335d at the time but now I own an M4 I know I just wasn't driving it properly. In fact, I was driving it very badly but that's another story.

So, now driving an M4 I was promised an M5 for the day when it went in for its 1200 mile service. Unfortunately, the M5 had been sold by the time I booked mine in so they offered me an M3. I was a bit disappointed. Not because there is anything wrong with an M3 but because it's nice to drive something different when the opportunity arises so I asked if an i8 was available.

So, I had an i8 for the day. It was tricky to get in and out of, the boot was terribly small and the ride was surprisingly firm. But, it was one of the hottest days of the year and the drive home for lunch through various Cotswold villages in near silence and on electric power was a hugely enjoyable experience. On A roads and in sport mode I found very little performance difference between the i8 and my M4 but the torque delivery and handling of the i8 was actually closer to my old 335d on winter tyres ie. lots of immediately available torque on tyres that are too narrow.

I'm not sure what to ask for next. I think they had an X6M available last time. That might be fun if it is still available. If so, I'll take my Ushanka and dash cam with me.
      05-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #10
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bow
Renault mini suv thing (kanga? capture?) rental guy was telling me how it the sought after 0.9 engine! - and he was serious!!

Atrocious in pretty much every way (at least for my needs of motorway commuting) The only redeeming quality was I loved the bee-em when I got it back.
the wife has the sought after 0.9 tce capture - lol. For what it is, I think it's a great little car. Granted, it's no BMW and it's not great at motorways, but it spends it's life in the city and it has loads of practical features
(the sliding rear seat is particularly useful), and the wife really loves the elevated driving position.

I drive loads of hire cars for work and it's great getting to drive loads of different types cars. Worst by far was the fiat 500L , had loads of Astra's and there all shite I think the surprise was the Hyundai I30 which IMO drive better than the ford/Vauxhall equivalent . golfs are a bit meh, just don't get them really - slightly above average in everything but the price. had a jeep grand Cherokee 3.0 v6 diesel which was a nice car for a big 4x4.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #11
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Had a few hire cars since selling my old car and ordering and waiting for the 340.
430d GC. Lovely car and made me order a bmw to be honest, I was all set for a 330d f31 due to that 6 pot derv but discounts and missing petrol made me go with the 340i. It was more practical than I thought it would be, looked great and if I didnt need an estate practicality would be on my short list. In 440 form anyway!

Focus 1.5tdci sport zetec or something. Looked good big wheels low suspension etc and handled brilliantly. Obviously not fast but good fun round corners.

Skodia fabia monti carlo. 1.2 tsi 110bhp. Loads of space in the cabin, interior as you would expect BUT fizzy little engine that was surprising ly brisk when pushed. It was the last car before the 3er arrived so got me back in the petrol mind set of revving an engine properly again.

I remeber over the years though dreading the 1.2 non aircon corsas as courtesy cars....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 02:03 AM   #12
BnB
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan4 View Post
the wife has the sought after 0.9 tce capture - lol. For what it is, I think it's a great little car. Granted, it's no BMW and it's not great at motorways, but it spends it's life in the city and it has loads of practical features
(the sliding rear seat is particularly useful), and the wife really loves the elevated driving position.
We had one as s hire car in France last year. Hopping on the motorway straight from the airport I honestly thought something was wrong as you needed about 4000 revs just to maintain a low cruising speed. I cursed that car for the first few days but once we'd plugged into the narrative of a plucky little fighter battling those steep Pyrennean mountain roads we ended up rather fond of our little holiday car. Happy memories.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 06:08 AM   #13
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
I had an M135i when I first took my 335d in for service. I enjoyed the drive but it was a manual and I felt glad I had opted for the 8AT. Also, even in top-notch guise, I felt the 1er cabin was a significant step down from the 3.

The second time I took the 335d in they gave me a 520d which had so little fuel the warning light was on before I had even left the dealer car park. I didn't like it at all and felt glad I had opted for a six pot. I'm not a fan of the 4 pot diesel but in the 5er it felt noticeably underpowered.

I disliked the 520d so much I asked if they could provide something a little more interesting next time.

The third time I got an M4 for the day. It was black with Sakhir leather and was fantastic. I remember thinking that it wasn't "that much" faster than my 335d at the time but now I own an M4 I know I just wasn't driving it properly. In fact, I was driving it very badly but that's another story.

So, now driving an M4 I was promised an M5 for the day when it went in for its 1200 mile service. Unfortunately, the M5 had been sold by the time I booked mine in so they offered me an M3. I was a bit disappointed. Not because there is anything wrong with an M3 but because it's nice to drive something different when the opportunity arises so I asked if an i8 was available.

So, I had an i8 for the day. It was tricky to get in and out of, the boot was terribly small and the ride was surprisingly firm. But, it was one of the hottest days of the year and the drive home for lunch through various Cotswold villages in near silence and on electric power was a hugely enjoyable experience. On A roads and in sport mode I found very little performance difference between the i8 and my M4 but the torque delivery and handling of the i8 was actually closer to my old 335d on winter tyres ie. lots of immediately available torque on tyres that are too narrow.

I'm not sure what to ask for next. I think they had an X6M available last time. That might be fun if it is still available. If so, I'll take my Ushanka and dash cam with me.

m135

m4

M3

I8

X6M???

And I got a Toyota Avensis !!!!!

I'm going to Your dealer next time!!!!!!
      05-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #14
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Mini One, fun but no power once you leave town.

Mini Cooper, still under powered. Both Minis very uncomfortable and dark inside.

520d, 320d pretty standard stuff.

Need to persuade them to lend me an i8!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 06:28 AM   #15
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan4 View Post
I drive loads of hire cars for work and it's great getting to drive loads of different types cars. Worst by far was the fiat 500
Trust me, you haven't had a hire car until you've been given a Vauxhall Agila

Many years ago through work, I had the "pleasure" of one of the Mk1 Agila's with the 3 cylinder 1.0 engine and to top it off, it was red, so looked like the Postman Pat van.

I had to do about 300 motorway miles (150 each way) on the same day and never have I driven such a hateful thing. It had absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. Up hills, it struggled and you'd drop a gear and then another and lose speed all the way up until trucks were passing you. It also had a squeaky indicator noise (not a click, but a squeak - same era Corsa's did the same) and it was just awful.

At work the following day, I told my boss how bad it was and that I never want one again and I'd happily pay the difference out of my own pocket for the next class of car up. He isn't a car person and said it couldn't be that bad.

A couple of weeks later, he got the very same vehicle for a long motorway journey. He normally didn't use bad language, but his verdict included several expletives and the result was that there was no way we were ever going to get anything like that as a hire car again. From that point on, we had VW's and Mercs and nothing smaller than a Golf.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #16
NorthEastX5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 3.0d M-Sport / 435i F36

Porsche ruined courtesy cars for me. Whilst I had my Cayenne I was subjected to the cruelty that is Porsche subliminal selling.

Cars they gave me whilst it had its service and on two other occasions warranty work:

- brand new 991 C4S targa (£110k price with config it had. Goes down as most expensive loan car I've ever had)

- brand new 991 S

- brand new Panamera Turbo

After that experience most courtesy cars pale by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

The last one I had was a 7 series.

Far too big to be of any practical day-to-day use and stuck out by about a metre in any parking bay. Too floaty on the road too but it had a good bit of grunt for a big old oil tanker.

The kids loved the TVs in the back although CBeebies lost signal far too often to make it a real bonus
      05-24-2016, 04:13 AM   #18
2GOOD
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 4 series convertible

Bought my last BMW from Park Lane & whilst being on the worst end of customer service that I've ever been involved with I did get to drive a wide selection of BMW's but with nothing larger than a 20d engine & all auto. My car then was a manual.
Anyway learnt my lesson & dealt locally, my new car to me after 8 weeks is back with the supplying dealer to iron out a fault with the nav & I've been driving a 220i convertible for the last week. Same exterior & interior colours as my 4 series convertible but very, very different to live with. A quick test drive with the roof down & I could've been tempted but after a week, I can't wait to get back into my car
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 04:55 AM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

With my previous E91, I had a couple courtesy cars, mainly 320d saloons, 125d and 520d tourer.

Not many with current car, 320d, 430d, last was a 320i, I said I would take a taxi instead.

Usually I don't bother trying to get anything special.

I am there tomorrow booking in for service so may ask, however I can never be arsed, I do however cars I won't accept.

I am dragging wife along for a look at some new ones though.

Unfortunately, having visited the majority of dealers (various manufacturers while car shopping) in Wolverhampton, they are all crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 05:39 AM   #20
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Never had anything other than the most basic 1 Series, always ask for an auto always get given a manual, filthy windscreen that looks like someone's dog has tried to lick it clean, previously driven by a midget and running on fumes. What's to compare

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #21
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
... previously driven by a midget and running on fumes.
Does the same midget bring your own car back round? I used to find that they had moved the seat in every way possible just to run it round the back to the workshop. I kind of understand them needing to put the seat forward, but not the rest of it. Perhaps I'm being punished for being too cheap to spec the memory seats...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #22
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

I never seem to get much luck on the courtesy car wheel of fortune. Various 1 or 3 series, all 4 cylinder.

Most annoying was when I had my C63 AMG in for service. It was serviced at the dealer from whom I'm bought the car brand new, I specifically asked for an E-class and was given a miserable C180.

On the flip side, a friend who isn't really into cars has just bought a new C200 coupe ("because it looked nice"). He has had 2 issues requiring it to go back into the supplying dealer. The first time he got an A45 AMG and the second time a C63 AMG. Why does this never happen to me ?!?!?!

However, as a caveat to the above, my current E-class (to be replaced with my F31 on order) threw an EML light at me last Friday. Amazingly I'm now wafting around in a brand new S-class
Appreciate 0