E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Helix Attache - First Impressions

03-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
ohsnap
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Helix Attache - First Impressions

just got it installed this morning and its very impressive to say the least. much thanks to chris/e90ice (local v1/v2 install guru) for helping out with the install. anyways on to the my initial observations..

maps:
1. 91oct+dp
2. 91oct+dp+fmic

product:
nice metal housed unit, pretty small and fits nicely in the dme compartment. excellent quality with detailed labels per wire all wrapped in heatshrink with additional heatsink tubes for the splices.

installation:
was pretty much a breeze as chris is more then familiar with dme wiring. he mentioned how nice it was that each wire was labeled per connector, etc which made it very easy in comparison to some other tunes. in other words, its pretty hard to mess up. clear concise instructions as well.

initial performance:
very smooth and linear, like stock however with much much more power. i find the power delivery smoother then the sstt. all the locals here run v1/v2's which i have driven/ridden in many times. i would honestly say the power/torque feels a tad more then v2.02 but more linear in delivery.

the throttle response is also very crisp and pronounced with the combination of hfc dps. the traction control was lighting like crazy in both 2nd and 3rd during short bursts between traffic lights at wot on dry pavement. i didn't bother taking dsc/dtc off after that but will experiment more later while i adapt over the next few days. ended up wot on the freeway and this tune pulls like a race horse and wants to keep pulling. due to traffic i didn't get a chance get it over 6k in rpm

conclusion:
totally stoked.. this tune is a monster and so damn smooth.. can't wait till its fully adapt
      03-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

AWESOME!!! Congrats on the new tune!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Very nice! Use Eugen's instructions to force adaptation faster....

Be safe out there bro...
      03-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
stillclaimndp
Dancing Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 ZSP

Take it to the track > No one has posted a Helix timeslip yet have they?
2007 e90 & 1981 Corvette Predecessors: 2007 BMW 335i E92, 2006 M5, 2008 Viper SRT10 Coupe, 2005 Viper Yellow, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2006 S4, 2001.5 Nogaro Blue S4, 2006 GTI w/ DSG, 06 Evo IX, 04 S4, 04 911x51, 03 Evo VIII, 98 Eclipse GSX, 96 GST, 92 Galant Vr-4, '70 Grand Prix Model J, '70 Nova, '68 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
baggerben
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: volvo s70 t5,for now.335i soon

congrats
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

nice dude, thanks for the writeup!
      03-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
jturkel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 C32 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post

conclusion:
totally stoked.. this tune is a monster and so damn smooth.. can't wait till its fully adapt
glad you are enjoying it! planning on getting a dyno done? im curious to see what the numbers look like with 91 octane
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

congrats man. sounds like a good tune.
      03-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

im curious to see if there will be many issues with this tune once more people have it....however from the sound of it...seems like a solid tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Cant wait for mine
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Congrats....I think your the first in the PS area! Might be time for a dyno day here in the near future for us local folk.
      03-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
BB
n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

We'll have to meet up to compare piggys (AA Processor vs. Attache).
      03-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Congrats and enjoy!!!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #14
remydlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N55 MT/blue metal/red int.

Quote:

initial performance:
all the locals here run v1/v2's which i have driven/ridden in many times. i would honestly say the power/torque feels a tad more then v2.02 but more linear in delivery.

"didn't bother taking dsc/dtc off after that but will experiment more later while i adapt over the next few days."
:
Why a lot of people say their tune is better/feel stronger than the other with no real facts??? I dont get it. I know you are trying to compare as you have driven a V2 before. But how are you going to say that you feel more hp/torque than a V2 with such little adaption???

They both have similar output numbers, so close that you will hardly notice any difference. Maybe it was because you didnt punish the other cars as hard as you did yours? . Besides that, if you want to compare, you also better off saying what were the parameters on the PROceded car you drove, e.g 90-94%. Maybe the one you drove were running on 90% which is better conservative, if you really felt any difference. Just dont say the Attache have a tad more power than the procede.

Sorry if I sound a little rude, I just dislike the mine-is-better-than-yours attitude in here. Other than that, good review . Helix Attache definitely is one of the best tune right now, and really worth the money.
      03-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #15
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Will wait for back to back corrected Dyno figures against stock runs and also drag/circuit times before drawing any conclusions from Helix installations. Then it might be possible to provide comparisons to other tunes. Waiting.......???

03-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #16
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

so glad you like it but... in order to fully enjoy it you need to turn the DTC off. we tried to make the install as easy as possible with little to no chance of screw ups glad to see thats working as planned as well

Quote:
just got it installed this morning and its very impressive to say the least. much thanks to chris/e90ice (local v1/v2 install guru) for helping out with the install. anyways on to the my initial observations..

maps:
1. 91oct+dp
2. 91oct+dp+fmic

product:
nice metal housed unit, pretty small and fits nicely in the dme compartment. excellent quality with detailed labels per wire all wrapped in heatshrink with additional heatsink tubes for the splices.

installation:
was pretty much a breeze as chris is more then familiar with dme wiring. he mentioned how nice it was that each wire was labeled per connector, etc which made it very easy in comparison to some other tunes. in other words, its pretty hard to mess up. clear concise instructions as well.

initial performance:
very smooth and linear, like stock however with much much more power. i find the power delivery smoother then the sstt. all the locals here run v1/v2's which i have driven/ridden in many times. i would honestly say the power/torque feels a tad more then v2.02 but more linear in delivery.

the throttle response is also very crisp and pronounced with the combination of hfc dps. the traction control was lighting like crazy in both 2nd and 3rd during short bursts between traffic lights at wot on dry pavement. i didn't bother taking dsc/dtc off after that but will experiment more later while i adapt over the next few days. ended up wot on the freeway and this tune pulls like a race horse and wants to keep pulling. due to traffic i didn't get a chance get it over 6k in rpm

conclusion:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

In all fairness, he's just talking about feel. You don't need to strap a car onto a dyno to know how it feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remydlc View Post
Why a lot of people say their tune is better/feel stronger than the other with no real facts??? I dont get it. I know you are trying to compare as you have driven a V2 before. But how are you going to say that you feel more hp/torque than a V2 with such little adaption???

They both have similar output numbers, so close that you will hardly notice any difference. Maybe it was because you didnt punish the other cars as hard as you did yours? . Besides that, if you want to compare, you also better off saying what were the parameters on the PROceded car you drove, e.g 90-94%. Maybe the one you drove were running on 90% which is better conservative, if you really felt any difference. Just dont say the Attache have a tad more power than the procede.

Sorry if I sound a little rude, I just dislike the mine-is-better-than-yours attitude in here. Other than that, good review . Helix Attache definitely is one of the best tune right now, and really worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #18
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Hopefully this fits/works in the 135i just as easily...dont see why not...but as of now this is the tune i plan on going with. + their FMIC of course
Then my car will look and sound stock
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB View Post
When you compare the tunes they have both up- and downsides: You can upload maps on the AA Processor ( vs. sending back the piggy to Helix ). Helix supports the TPS and the solenoid hoses will remain stock. AFAIK, Helix currently offers more available map's. AA offers the speed limit defeat in addition, which can be used with the Helix or any other piggybacks ( including the JB*'s ) as well.

I am very interested in Helix Attaché vs. AA Active Processor comparisons. At the end the most important criterias will be power, reliability and characteristics of the tunings. I think both are good tunes and they use new and fast hardware, which cannot be wrong - the piggy should ideally process in real-time.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Was your initial impression when you stepped on it, "oh snap!"

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #21
Tobias1980
Read the manual please, just do it before asking!
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F31 328i, F55 Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
When you compare the tunes they have both up- and downsides: You can upload maps on the AA Processor ( vs. sending back the piggy to Helix ). Helix supports the TPS and the solenoid hoses will remain stock. AFAIK, Helix currently offers more available map's. AA offers the speed limit defeat in addition, which can be used with the Helix or any other piggybacks ( including the JB*'s ) as well.

I am very interested in Helix Attaché vs. AA Active Processor comparisons. At the end the most important criterias will be power, reliability and characteristics of the tunings. I think both are good tunes and they use new and fast hardware, which cannot be wrong - the piggy should ideally process in real-time.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #22
ohsnap
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkel View Post
glad you are enjoying it! planning on getting a dyno done? im curious to see what the numbers look like with 91 octane
Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Congrats....I think your the first in the PS area! Might be time for a dyno day here in the near future for us local folk.
i plan on getting a dyno in the next week or so. would be great to get another local dyno day for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB View Post
sure thing, i sent you a pm as well as i am also curious on the aa tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remydlc View Post

no offense taken, this is a review board and very much opionionated. i try to keep my reviews as real as possible. with that said, everyones experience will vary so take it with a grain of salt.

i am a big fan of the v2 and would have chosen that tune however, after tracking the development of the helix, i was very interested in giving this a shot.

the primary difference is the helix feels much more linear in the power delivery, this can easily be felt without a dyno. also to add the tunes felt very close in power, however all the v2's i have driven or ridden in (5+) did not have dps nor a specific tune to take advantage hence i added a tad difference on the intial day driving. and even more so today. as i mentioned i plan on getting a dyno as well as i am curious of the actual gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
so glad you like it but... in order to fully enjoy it you need to turn the DTC off. we tried to make the install as easy as possible with little to no chance of screw ups glad to see thats working as planned as well
yup, spent majority of this weekend tooling around w/ and w/o dtc. the car is getting stronger on every drive. thanks for the great tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher5 View Post
Was your initial impression when you stepped on it, "oh snap!"

heh thats a good way to sum it up. very happy with this tune