F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Base stereo upgrade..advice needed!
ARMA SPEED

05-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
mudspike
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

F30 Base stereo upgrade..advice needed!

I am more of a mechanical guy than an electrical.
So, pls bear with me… a little.

Driving F30 with base stereo(no amp’, no tweeter) for 3 years now.
I didn’t care much about the quality of audio but somehow, I do recently.
Maybe I will keep this car for another 2 years thus do not want to invest a lot to upgrade audio.

Cheap upgrade is in progress and I just bought 2 used F30 OEM HK mid range speakers for front doors only and 2 F30 OEM HK tweeters.
Some are saying that I will feel the noticeable difference with added tweeters and hopefully from new mid ranges.

At this point, I am also considering adding a cheap F30 OEM HIFI AMP to get slightly a better result(?).
Is this worthwhile?
If affirmative, will it be a difficult task DIYing installing harness from the AMP to HU or idrive? any link to this DIY will be appreciated.
I think I also need an advice on the source of wire harness for this purpose..

I wouldn’t expect a luck that even base stereo has a preinstalled harness for stereo upgrade.

I did a moderate amount of search , so pls don't

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
GeertB
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran coupé

There is no harness for an amp if you have the base audio.
You can buy a harness from Technic or bimmertech when you buy their amp.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

The stock stereo system has no crossovers at all.

If you do the work adding an amp, don't add the quite crappy HiFi amp, but a better one, maybe even with DSP.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
Dyl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudspike View Post
Cheap upgrade is in progress and I just bought 2 used F30 OEM HK mid range speakers for front doors only and 2 F30 OEM HK tweeters.
Some are saying that I will feel the noticeable difference with added tweeters and hopefully from new mid ranges.
This is exactly what I have done to my F36.

Adding the tweeters makes such a difference, it's night and day. I did one side first then adjusting the balance from left to right to check whether it was worth the effort. The side with the base mid and no tweeter sounded like it was under water compared to the HK side.

For a relatively cheap mod it is more than worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
GeertB
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran coupé

I would check ohm ratings before you change anything. You don't want to fry your head unit. I don't know if there is a difference in ohm rating between base speakers and HK speakers...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
mudspike
Rep

Thanks for all the inputs.
I think I am just adding tweeters and replace mid ranges.
Will check more about Ohm rating but I do not think it will be a problem...
Maybe more experienced member can chime in for HK mid range + HU_ENTRY.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Changing just the speakers and putting tweeters won't do any good to the base set up. You need to de-equalize the signal coming from the HU to make it sound better, which won't be enough.

Been there, done that. Ended up using Techniq's harness + DSP+ amp + comp speakers + subs, then tune. It was actually a lot better than my HK now.
      05-20-2016, 01:46 AM   #8
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes and besides the weird equalization of Stereo: By just adding tweeters you have to be careful with the sensitivity. I'be tried 2 different tweeters and both were too loud. At the first time the sound seemed improved, but soon my ears were bleeding due to loud high frequencies. Coding HiFi instead of Stereo didn't help too.

By the way I've realized that the stock loudspeakers have bad sensitivity. Unusual as there is anyway quite low power out of the radio.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
mudspike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee View Post
Yes and besides the weird equalization of Stereo: By just adding tweeters you have to be careful with the sensitivity. I'be tried 2 different tweeters and both were too loud. At the first time the sound seemed improved, but soon my ears were bleeding due to loud high frequencies. Coding HiFi instead of Stereo didn't help too.

By the way I've realized that the stock loudspeakers have bad sensitivity. Unusual as there is anyway quite low power out of the radio.
Will give those cheap used HK mid range and tweeter a try first maybe for a couple months and decide.
I am ordering window frame now..
Hopefully get this all done before the end of June..
Many travel scheduled on June..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
Trick97
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f82 m4 zcp, F30 330d M Sport

I notice this is an older thread so maybe you have done it already... but..

I ended up getting some Rainbow components and under seat subs. Work with existing wiring, no amps needed and sound quality is greatly improved. Piece of cake to install too.

Doors:
Rainbow Il-c4 2. BMW F-Series> 2012 Front

Subs:
Rainbow IL-S8F BMW Woofer Kit Set

A couple of frames like you mention.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Did you really have Stereo and not HiFi (US stock) before? Just wondering as Rainbow recommends at least 70W RMS per woofer.

I was also considering the Rainbow set, but finally ended up with Jehnert using it semi-active at a 4x80W amp.

Last edited by TePee; 06-06-2016 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
Vinnie Stix
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i GT Xdrive M Package

Just picked up a Bimmertech amp for my 2015 328xi directly from Bimmertech. Shipping was lightning fast. The amp was supposed to come with a custom bracket to fit my car to make it literally plug and play. Needless to say there was no custom bracket, just the metal fins like the OEM amp but the Bimmertech amp is larger and did not fit the OEM bracket. I emailed Bimmertech and they asked for pics but I already installed the amp by removing the fins and using very strong double sided tape to secure the amp to the OEM bracket. It was a very tight fit but it worked. The amp is a very significant upgrade with lots of control once you download the software for it from the Bimmertech website. Just make sure you plug the USB cable into the amp prior to installing it and get an extension cause the one Bimmertech sends is only 3 or 4 feet long, which is nowhere near long enough to sit in the drivers seat and make your adjustments. Why even send a USB cable that's this short? Don't these guys try this stuff on their own cars? Anyway, the amp when tuned properly has much more attack and headroom with enhanced dynamic range. The sound system is cleaner, louder and hits harder. Better replacement speakers from Bavsound should make a very substantial difference but the amp by itself is an outstanding upgrade. Kudos to Bimmertech for a very nice amp upgrade but you guys should have the correct bracket for such a popular car without me having to send in pics. Also, what is anyone going to do with a 4 foot USB cable that attaches to the amp in your trunk when you need to sit in the front seat to tune your system? That's goofy, just sayin.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #13
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Stix
Just picked up a Bimmertech amp for my 2015 328xi directly from Bimmertech. Shipping was lightning fast. The amp was supposed to come with a custom bracket to fit my car to make it literally plug and play. Needless to say there was no custom bracket, just the metal fins like the OEM amp but the Bimmertech amp is larger and did not fit the OEM bracket. I emailed Bimmertech and they asked for pics but I already installed the amp by removing the fins and using very strong double sided tape to secure the amp to the OEM bracket. It was a very tight fit but it worked. The amp is a very significant upgrade with lots of control once you download the software for it from the Bimmertech website. Just make sure you plug the USB cable into the amp prior to installing it and get an extension cause the one Bimmertech sends is only 3 or 4 feet long, which is nowhere near long enough to sit in the drivers seat and make your adjustments. Why even send a USB cable that's this short? Don't these guys try this stuff on their own cars? Anyway, the amp when tuned properly has much more attack and headroom with enhanced dynamic range. The sound system is cleaner, louder and hits harder. Better replacement speakers from Bavsound should make a very substantial difference but the amp by itself is an outstanding upgrade. Kudos to Bimmertech for a very nice amp upgrade but you guys should have the correct bracket for such a popular car without me having to send in pics. Also, what is anyone going to do with a 4 foot USB cable that attaches to the amp in your trunk when you need to sit in the front seat to tune your system? That's goofy, just sayin.
Not sure what you mean by "bracket?" There's no bracket necessary to install the amp. The metal fins on the amp slide directly onto the metal plate that houses the OEM amp. It's completely plug and play.

I do agree with the uber short USB cable. I have to get a USB hub and another 5 foot cable.
      06-17-2016, 03:10 AM   #14
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Exact same observation here, had to remove the fins to fit it in, very strange as this is supposed to be designed for base audio.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #15
Vinnie Stix
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i GT Xdrive M Package

The OEM bracket or "plate", that holds the OEM amp in my 2015 328 is too small for the Bimmertech amp. You cannot fit the amp onto the bracket with the fins attached because there is a piece of metal that sticks up on one side of the OEM bracket that blocks the Bimmertech amp from fitting correctly. I removed the fins and used double sided tape to make it work but it is extremely tight. Bimmertech states on their site that the amp comes with a "custom" bracket, but my amp only came with the fins attached. On my 2016 X3, the OEM bracket holds the Bimmertech amp perfectly with the fins attached and is completely plug and play taking only 10 minutes to swap the amps. I ordered and received both amps at the same time. Neither came with a custom bracket. They are identical with fins attached. The OEM brackets in each vehicle that house the OEM amps are totally different. One amp fit perfectly and was completely plug and play (X3) and the other (328) was not.
Appreciate 0