F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Issues with USB in armrest.
Studio RSR

05-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
S.A.Mohawk
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d Sedan

Issues with USB in armrest.

I have been trying to use a USB key to hold and play MP3 files. Not to copy the files to the internal HDD, but to play directly from the USB key.

I have a SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB drive with about 70GB of music. Once the drive is initially scanned, the music is searchable and playable just like the internally held music. Works great for a bit.

The issue I have is the USB key seems to become unreadable after a week or so. It plays fine for a week, then just randomly stops being readable. I can then pull it back out and plug it in a computer and it says that it is not formatted. I am formatting the drive using ExFat due to the size, but it plays fine for a week so I do not think its a formatting thing.

Anyone having this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I'm using the same 128GB model but formatted NTFS, about 70 GB of FLAC files, no problems in two months.
Elsewhere in this forum somebody (thanks!) wrote about a key detail: artwork must not exceed 500x500 pixels or it won't show and possibly cause trouble.
To fix, a good, easy-to-use choice is Tag&Rename (Windows), it will search and auto-resize all artwork on your USB.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Havent experienced any issues like that, It sounds like you are leaving the USB installed all the time. Have you noticed if it is getting excessively hot, which may cause read errors. Also, try locking your stick as 'read only" before you remove it from your computer and see if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Sounds like it might be a problem with your mem stick. I've had USB weirdness with certain devices, but never anything where the device gets corrupted.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Yeah, I agree, it sounds like a failing stick. As a Computer Tech, I lose at least one a year to strange failures or outright death.

I won't repeat it here (plan on doing a new thread on it) but check my reply (Post #5) in this thread:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1253792
I haven't figured out how to link directly to a post yet, just the thread!

The problem may be a connection one. I doubt it, I think it's stick failure.
+1 on the "read only" idea. Also - Don't forget to "Safely Remove" when you unplug from a computer (on Windows. Drag to Trash on Mac, ... just weird...). You'll get away with just yanking it a few times, no problem, then it will corrupt on you. It's just two clicks, get in the habit, eh?

The good news is sticks are cheap. Get a good brand (read Amazon Reviews) like Patriot or SanDisk, you get what you pay for here.

PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
S.A.Mohawk
Rep

Thanks for all the replies.

I will try reducing the artwork size, as I know for sure there are quite a bit over 500x500. Also format it in NTFS, then Read Only.

It is a brand new USB drive and I am able to play from it in a PC for a month at a time without issue, so I do not think it is a failing drive, but who knows. The drive itself is smaller than a quarter and you can hardly even tell it is there, except it takes up the only USB slot.

Ill report back if it lasts more than a week.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Lawboy1976
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 Blue 320D MSport

Hi there,
First post
Is your USB stick by any chance a USB3?
I've found USB3 drives are twitchy, and even on a PC I get occasional lock ups, where they refuse to respond.
Not had any problems with USB2.

Edit: I've got some artwork at 600x600 and is displays OK. That's the maximum size I've got.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
S.A.Mohawk
Rep

It is a USB3 stick. I haven't had any issues with it in a PC and I have been playing around with it quite frequently.

As mentioned before, the key does play for around a week before crapping out and losing any/all formatting, even with rather large artwork files. Not saying that it doesn't matter at all, but not sure if this is the root cause. I don't know if the artwork size only matters when using the USB connection, but I have been using these files internally with no issue for almost a year.

For now I am taking the following steps:

Format NTFS
Resize all artwork to 500x500
Mark drive as read only

I am almost done copying everything back over after the reformat and resize now. Will report back after a week or so of using it.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
PuterPro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.Mohawk View Post
It is a USB3 stick. I haven't had any issues with it in a PC and I have been playing around with it quite frequently.

As mentioned before, the key does play for around a week before crapping out and losing any/all formatting, even with rather large artwork files. Not saying that it doesn't matter at all, but not sure if this is the root cause. I don't know if the artwork size only matters when using the USB connection, but I have been using these files internally with no issue for almost a year.

For now I am taking the following steps:

Format NTFS
Resize all artwork to 500x500
Mark drive as read only

I am almost done copying everything back over after the reformat and resize now. Will report back after a week or so of using it.

Cheers
Hi again!

Reading the additional info since my post I have to agree on the USB 3 issue.
I have seen it cause strange problems in USB 2 ports.

I don't know if you got a chance to read my post (link above) about cleaning the jack. If your USB jack in the car is randomly disconnecting, that could definitely be the root cause. Flash drives don't like that!

If you haven't cleaned the jack with Deoxit as my post suggests, do so. It could very likely be the issue, disconnection / reconnection as the car vibrates, corrupting the drive. You PC doesn't vibrate much ...

I have a bad Aux jack, it's the contacts, hope to get it replaced under Warranty, I checked quickly on Ebay and only found one listing and they wanted $50. Crazy. I'll disassemble it and fix it myself first!

BTW - on the "Read only" idea - I'm not sure you can do that on this device. I know that SD cards have a switch, but on a flash drive the only way to make it read only would be marking that attribute on the flies themselves and that won't make a damn bit of difference in a corruption scenario!

Rather an obvious question, but have you tried another flash drive? I've go a dozen, so it's easy for me ...

PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
S.A.Mohawk
Rep

PuterPro,

I appreciate the feedback. The cleaning is next on the list if I have issues.

After that I will be trying another USB drive. I did run a SSD drive connected via an adapter cable thing for a month or so before buying this new USB drive and it ran great. Thinking about it, it may be due to the adapter only being USB2.

Everything was reformatted and resized, so I am running the current setup for the week to see. Hopefully I don't have issues, but if I do, I also have additional steps to take.

Cheers
John
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
PuterPro
Private
Rep

Quote:
PuterPro,

I appreciate the feedback. The cleaning is next on the list if I have issues.

After that I will be trying another USB drive. I did run a SSD drive connected via an adapter cable thing for a month or so before buying this new USB drive and it ran great. Thinking about it, it may be due to the adapter only being USB2.

Everything was reformatted and resized, so I am running the current setup for the week to see. Hopefully I don't have issues, but if I do, I also have additional steps to take.

Cheers
John
Only a quick one, running out the door ...

The USB / SSD enclosure I use is USB 3, experienced no issues. It may depend on implementation (what USB communications chip they used).
That said, I've only done short tests, 20 minutes max.

Later!
PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
S.A.Mohawk
Rep

Yeah my issue seems to take time to materialize. Works perfect for a week or so, then I get an unsupported error. Take the USB drive and plug it in to a computer and it says unformatted. We'll see what happens. The 20GB internal is plenty, just playing around to see if I could literally have my whole music collection available.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #13
PuterPro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah my issue seems to take time to materialize. Works perfect for a week or so, then I get an unsupported error. Take the USB drive and plug it in to a computer and it says unformatted. We'll see what happens. The 20GB internal is plenty, just playing around to see if I could literally have my whole music collection available.
Man, those sorta problems are the worst to troubleshoot!

I had a Client who had this intermittent PC problem (that his Tech Support said was a software issue), every time I got there it was gone. SIX trips later I told him he didn't need a Tech, but a Priest. He obviously needed a ritual exorcism performed! He laughed his ass off (at least he had a sense of humor!). Finally found a bad solder joint on his motherboard (from the factory), but who rips out a motherboard on an intermittent problem? ME! After six shots at it I was pissed.

Fortunately, it was still under warranty and they replaced it for him. Finally, after he ripped them a new ...

You've got 20G internal? Luck dog, I knew I should have gone with the 328. LOL Yeah, that's not enough for high quality files.

Let us know what happens!
PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #14
W.T.Lam
W.T.Lam
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Order of Playlist in USB and Music Collection

I have been using my USB for long time without problem. I can also import the USB into the music collection fine. However, I do have a problem with playlist. It seems BMW decided to display the playlist in some weird order so they are not alphabetically sorted. It seems to sort by reversed modification time. However when imported to music collection the list went totally bonkers. Does anyone have the same issue?

Last edited by W.T.Lam; 05-23-2016 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #15
S.A.Mohawk
Rep

So its a month or so now with no issues since taking the steps outlined above. I have 70GB running off a 128GB SanDisk Ultra USB drive. The thing is smaller than my thumb nail and holds my whole collection so far.

The initial scan took 15 minutes or so, but after that it is fully searchable and works great. Thanks for all the tips. Not sure which one worked, but they did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Any ideas on how to fix the vibration related disconnections. I use my usb port to play music and worked fine for a year.
Everytime I hit a bump or hit the armrest, the drive gets disconnected. Not sure the cleaning would address this thou. Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
S.A.Mohawk
Rep

I have not experienced any vibration related disconnects, so I can't directly comment on that issue. However, I would try multiple USB drives to try and confirm it is the connection in the arm rest vs the USB drive.

If the issue remains regardless of USB drive I would talk to BMW and see if they would cover the replacement of the connector.

My USB drive is super small, literally smaller than my thumb nail. This may reduce vibration and limit the issue. I would suspect a taller USB drive would have a bit more leverage to bounce around in the slot since it may be heavier.

Check out the drive I listed above, not a bad price for the physical size and amount of space.

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #18
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Tried some compressed air and it solved the problem. This forum nevet ceases to amaze me with the help provided. Thx
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #19
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I know this thread has been dead for six months, but here's the small problem I have with shuffling mp3 files from my glovebox usb. I have a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB with about 16GB of files.

My problem is that the system sometimes boots to something other than the "Playing Now" screen. In those cases I have to click "Ultra Fit" (my usb stick) and wait and then "Current Playback."

The audio works fine -- it begins playing where it left off, and there is no delay. It is only the display that needs my attention. And the problem is seemingly random.

I'll try the suggestions above this weekend and see what happens.
Appreciate 0