BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > What oil is BMW putting in M2?

05-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

What oil is BMW putting in M2?

Those of you that have gotten the break-in service, what oil are they using?

Is it BMW 0W-40 like F80 m3/m4?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Those of you that have gotten the break-in service, what oil are they using?

Is it BMW 0W-40 like F80 m3/m4?
I'm sure the tech told me 0W-30 in mine, but looking at the invoice it doesn't specify.
      05-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
According to my break-in invoice 0W30.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Hmm, just checked my break-in invoice and it was 5w-30
Appreciate 1
Alexxxx52.00
      06-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR
Quote:
Interesting. Well fwiw I changed the oil myself after a track event and put in 0w40 and am running that now. Will do the same after my next track event. I'm a strong believer in cheap insurance with changing the oil with llo1 after every track event.
      06-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR
Quote:
Interesting. Well fwiw I changed the oil myself after a track event and put in 0w40 and am running that now. Will do the same after my next track event. I'm a strong believer in cheap insurance with changing the oil with llo1 after every track event.
The BMW 0W-40 M Turbo oil is listed as appropriate for 1M, M2, F80 M3/M4. Basically all the turbocharged M cars. So I will go with that on my next oil change in the 1M. I called Shell motor oil and they told me it is the same as Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 in the US. Also that the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 is the same oil Ferrari and Maseratti uses now. I change my own oil but I still have the dealer do it so I have the best possible documentation and they have told me that they have the BMW 0W-40 M oil in stock so I will go with that soon. I tried contacting BMW and get an answer on why they go with 0W-30 on M2 while M3 is fundamentally the same type of motor got the M 0W-40? I got no answer so I am assuming it is for fleet fuel mileage reasons. It's probably fine but out here in the hot west coast I prefer a little more protection. Thank you to those that replied.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

I'm really concerned about the 0w most of the manufactures are going with these days and the motives for spec'ing it. I've got a buddy that has 2 late model cars by Subaru and Honda which have developed ring issues and excessive oil consumption at they approached 100,000 miles. He's got a 2014 Outback that uses 1 Qt every other tank. It sounds like lot of manufactures are dealing with these days if you google oil consumption and various terms.

When I researched the issue, a lot of people suspected the thinner oil could be a cause as some of the engines used 5w or 10w in other countries or in the past.

Really made me wonder if the new EPA Regulations are causing premature engine failures. Or if the manufactures are sacrificing long term reliability for increased MPG ratings.

I don't know enough to form a good opinion on this, but it's something that should be considered for anyone owning one of these long term off warranty.

Is 0w really in our best interest?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps
I'm really concerned about the 0w most of the manufactures are going with these days and the motives for spec'ing it. I've got a buddy that has 2 late model cars by Subaru and Honda which have developed ring issues and excessive oil consumption at they approached 100,000 miles. He's got a 2014 Outback that uses 1 Qt every other tank. It sounds like lot of manufactures are dealing with these days if you google oil consumption and various terms.

When I researched the issue, a lot of people suspected the thinner oil could be a cause as some of the engines used 5w or 10w in other countries or in the past.

Really made me wonder if the new EPA Regulations are causing premature engine failures. Or if the manufactures are sacrificing long term reliability for increased MPG ratings.

I don't know enough to form a good opinion on this, but it's something that should be considered for anyone owning one of these long term off warranty.

I understand your skepticism and concern which is why I also mentioned that 5w-40 is available under the Pennzoil platinum Euro label and it is the same oil, different weight according to the person at ShelI that I spoke with. I also wondered about that because 1M came with 5w-30 and 5w-40 seems a little more appealing because the cold viscosity remains the same. I will probably go with the 0W-40 because I want the dealer to do it and that is the only 40W they carry that is approved but if they offered both 0 and 5 options I would take 5w40 especially where I live in sunny and warm San Diego.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post

Its not the oils fault its Subaru's fault as the tolerances they used to develop or manufacturer those engines were out of spec (there is a class action lawsuit against Subaru right now for this issue).

I have a friend that bought a brand new 2014 Subaru Forester. I'm the only one changing his oil and I have noticed the car burning excessive amounts of oil. His car only has 40k miles. At 4000-4500 the low oil light comes on every time now. Once the light comes on it takes 1 entire quart to fill it back up. He changes his oil every 3500 now. Last oil change I put in little bit thicker 5w30 oil to see if it burns less oil.

I have a 2012 Honda CRV (purchased new). 50k miles on it so far, and it does not burn any oil. I'm the only one changing the oil as well so I check the oil level before draining, always at the full mark. This car requires 0w-20 oil like the Subaru does.

Yes 0w is extremely thin but I have faith that manufactures can develop a good engine that uses this oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Its not the oils fault its Subaru's fault as the tolerances they used to develop or manufacturer those engines were out of spec (there is a class action lawsuit against Subaru right now for this issue).

I have a friend that bought a brand new 2014 Subaru Forester. I'm the only one changing his oil and I have noticed the car burning excessive amounts of oil. His car only has 40k miles. At 4000-4500 the low oil light comes on every time now. Once the light comes on it takes 1 entire quart to fill it back up. He changes his oil every 3500 now. Last oil change I put in little bit thicker 5w30 oil to see if it burns less oil.

I have a 2012 Honda CRV (purchased new). 50k miles on it so far, and it does not burn any oil. I'm the only one changing the oil as well so I check the oil level before draining, always at the full mark. This car requires 0w-20 oil like the Subaru does.

Yes 0w is extremely thin but I have faith that manufactures can develop a good engine that uses this oil.
Same situation with my friends 2014 Outback. He's got 140,000 on it though and has not been very pro-active in getting it resolved. I had a 2011 with no issue and suggested he get an Outback this time.

It just seems like a bad concept if they are trying to make engines that can use thinner oil in order to meet EPA requirements and this is the end result.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #12
epinfren
Rep
Drives: 10AE Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I don't understand how there is still so much ignorance regarding oil in 2016, especially on a board devoted to an enthusiast model.

The number before the W in an oil is the cold weight of the oil. The second number is the weight at full temp. (Cold Weight)W(Hot Weight)

Both the 0W40 and 5W40 are 40 weight oils and will have the same thickness and film strength at full operating temp. Where the 0W is SUPERIOR to the 5W is at cold start up. The 0W is thinner only at start up so the motor turns over easier and the engine has proper lubrication the moment it cranks. It is not a thinner oil overall and/or at operating temp, only at start up where you want the oil to be thin.

Also, any 0W oil will always be a full synthetic. There is no such thing as a 0W conventional.
Appreciate 14
quikM2369.50
Bosozoku693.50
BFLY78.50
qnet676.00
D CHOI580.00
fleetfoot115.50
      07-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #13
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I have an 06 WRX with 120k. However the previous owner did oil changes every 3500 miles. The Boxer layout is susceptible to oil starvation which is why Porsche uses 7 qts an oil change. Since Subaru owners will not pay as much for an oil change, you have to change oil more frequently than a conventional car.

Btw the oil I use is Belgian Castrol 0W30. It made the engine much smoother and I plan to use it in the M2.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epinfren View Post
I don't understand how there is still so much ignorance regarding oil in 2016, especially on a board devoted to an enthusiast model.

The number before the W in an oil is the cold weight of the oil. The second number is the weight at full temp. (Cold Weight)W(Hot Weight)

Both the 0W40 and 5W40 are 40 weight oils and will have the same thickness and film strength at full operating temp. Where the 0W is SUPERIOR to the 5W is at cold start up. The 0W is thinner only at start up so the motor turns over easier and the engine has proper lubrication the moment it cranks. It is not a thinner oil overall and/or at operating temp, only at start up where you want the oil to be thin.

Also, any 0W oil will always be a full synthetic. There is no such thing as a 0W conventional.
OK let me start with this my fellow car loving brother. As you can see by my length of time here, I have been on here a long time and I have never seen anyone change their opinions online. It is a useless endeavour but some of us are gluttons for punishment. I have two kids....despite being peed on, vomited at, sneezed at, being up all night for the 4 years straight I went ahead and had a second child. So those are my credentials to address your statement.

First let me start with this. You are 1,000,000% correct with with your "technical" review of the facts and 99% here know that the lower viscosity number is cold weight, etc. No one is disputing that or is ignorant unlike the Birthers that believe bashing a car with no miles is actually better for it.

So we have that out of the way. I am agreeing with you and the only reason I am putting such a long reply despite being in agreement with you on the technical accuracy you brought up is because I am the original poster.

So again, I do not disagree with you but I also understand why many are skeptical and nervous about 0W oils.

First Reason History.
Dr told women Thalidomide was good for pregnant women. Later it caused birth defects.

Dr.s said Eggs and Butter bad and margarine good. Peanut Butter and Avocados were high in fat and cholesterol. Now, natural peanut butter is good as are eggs and real butter.

Hang in there, I'll get to cars...
BMW recommended periodic transmission, diff and fluid changes in their cars. Then around 2003, the exact same car with no mechanical difference became lifetime fill fluids. As soon as BMW started to pay for service, the coolant flushes, brake fluid intervals doubled.

Those that are cynical believe it was because now that BMW was paying for the service, they simply decreed longer intervals. So you can begin to see a pattern here I hope. My 2011 BMW 1M motor is no different internally than most other N54 motors yet for my M version, they gave me a 1200 mile old school break-in that was not afforded to non M motors that were identical!

So manufacturers do things for THEIR interests not yours and many understand that which is why they are skeptical! I have never left oil in my car for two years and 15K miles nor have I left the same transmission oil and diff oil for the 15 years. Guess what, BMW has now backtracked from the lifetime fill because they experimented with a generation of cars and realized that transmissions were failing at 90K miles.

So why are manufacturers going with 0W oils. If you believe in the tooth fairy, you assume that it is because of less engine wear during cold starts. I'm sure that is part of it, the non tooth-fairy crowd believe it has to do with meeting tough fuel consumption standards. With a thin oil there is less parasitic drag especially when cold and you can start driving immediately. Also, you can designate one oil that will work worldwide! That is a very cool thing. In the past, you were given oil options based on average temperatures.

So the question then becomes, do you want to put the best possible oil for your temperature range or want a jack-of-all-trades oil designed to be OK in the Siberian winter? If there is in fact no trade-off with the zero weight, then that would be fine. But the non tooth-fairy believers think that there are always tradeoffs! It's too good to be true and we wonder if BMW is again experimenting on our dime with our cars.

There are engineers that believe that the thinner oil, even if it is only during the warm up stage is passing through valve guides, rings, etc causing consumption and worse yet blow-by that can create carbon build up on valves, especially in direct injected motors.

Now if you live in a part of the country where it gets really cold in the winter, then a little extra consumption would be worth it so you don't have congealed oil even though 5W is already pretty good at preventing that. But what about people like me that live in hot climates and get sunburned in the winter and store our cars in garages? The tradeoff benefit of a 0W vs a 5W might not be worth it if there is a chance of extra consumption and blow-by.

I have attached an image of a Consumer Reports article where they discuss this and I will include the link also.

So to summarize.
0W is being used to reduce fuel consumption and to have one oil that works worlwide.

Some believe that there are trade-offs. If you drive a lot and lived in cold climate then the benefits of 0W probably make sense. The oil flows quickly and I save on gas.

If you live in a hot climate and drive it very little then you might not want to make your dream car part of the 0W experiment because in a hot climate, there is less benefit to 0W.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...-oil/index.htm
Attached Images

Appreciate 23
Chuck W.354.00
quikM2369.50
aerobat134.50
///M Houbi1653.00
mikeahso411.50
ES BMW67.50
AndrewC198910903.50
tranck499.00
filet.M2c782.50
mtl8850.00
Fuji550i388.00
hlm2c289.50
dli28610.50
MDuckie93.00
jas159897.50
      07-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
I have an 06 WRX with 120k. However the previous owner did oil changes every 3500 miles. The Boxer layout is susceptible to oil starvation which is why Porsche uses 7 qts an oil change. Since Subaru owners will not pay as much for an oil change, you have to change oil more frequently than a conventional car.

Btw the oil I use is Belgian Castrol 0W30. It made the engine much smoother and I plan to use it in the M2.
yes, I'm sure the Belgian stuff is better! I have tried dark chocolate the world over and the Belgian is the best!

Also, Belgians count better than the French! Soixant-dix, Quatre-vingt my butt! Give my a septant, huitante any day!

PS! Will belgium get cloth seats in M2? Still upset 1M and M2 had no cloth option in North America.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 03:22 AM   #16
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Will belgium get cloth seats in M2? Still upset 1M and M2 had no cloth option in North America.
There is no cloth seats anywhere in the world... Buy yourself some 218i seats and replace them.

MR
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #17
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Oil debates are always entertaining. I have simply followed the oil life monitor on my 06 330i and it runs great and consumes no oil at 212,000 miles. The caveat is I drive 25,000 plus miles a year so oil gets changed every 6 months and I drive almost 100% highway miles. I do change my transmission fluid and filter every 70,000 miles or so because I can't buy the idea of a lifetime fluid. For what it's worth I believe that with the higher oil capacity and the use of a high quality synthetic we are fine going with the manufacturers recommendations, that is unless you have a reason not too like track days, your more comfortable doing shorter intervals etc. No one but you will pay for the cost of the oil change or consequences from not changing it so I don't really understand the debates and the emotions that come with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 02:00 AM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
Oil debates are always entertaining. I have simply followed the oil life monitor on my 06 330i and it runs great and consumes no oil at 212,000 miles. The caveat is I drive 25,000 plus miles a year so oil gets changed every 6 months and I drive almost 100% highway miles. I do change my transmission fluid and filter every 70,000 miles or so because I can't buy the idea of a lifetime fluid. For what it's worth I believe that with the higher oil capacity and the use of a high quality synthetic we are fine going with the manufacturers recommendations, that is unless you have a reason not too like track days, your more comfortable doing shorter intervals etc. No one but you will pay for the cost of the oil change or consequences from not changing it so I don't really understand the debates and the emotions that come with them.
Sorry you can't understand them. It is comforting that you have had luck with your 330i but if you read the concern that some have is with 0 weight oil. Your point about trusting the manufacturer is also well taken but for some of us that are car geeks and eat, sleep and drink this stuff there are some pretty significant differences. You car went 212k miles on I assume the recommended 5w-30 oil and is not a turbocharged or direct injection motor. So your point is valid but there are some significant differences between an NA motor and the M2 / 1M direct injected turbo motors which is what we were discussing.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #19
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

On my previous turbocharged engines i put 0W in during winter ( 0-10°C) and up to 15W for a old turbo engine during summer ( up to 50°C) and that worked for me, i had a peugeot 206 tubo diesel engine (hdi) used from new to 315K kms on the counter with a clean healthy engine with zero turbo issue and zero oil consumption.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #20
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Pennzoil Recommendation

I am sold on the Pennzoil from nat-gas as a cleaner oil. Very interesting that on the Pennzoil Web site they recommend Euro 5W-40 which does have a pour point of -42. Where BMW does say that a 5-40 CAN BE USED -- THE MOST COMMON oil used at a dealership for the N55 is 0W-30.
I am going with Pennzoil EURO 5W-40 LL-01 oil very 5k OCI. Having been a prior owner of the N54 engine -- and reading the latest from Mike Miller who recommends 5k OCI for the N54/N55.
I would think the M2 with an N55 variant would be best served with the EURO 5W-40 in warranty and possibly even Redline 5W-30 post warranty due to RL is a heavy 30wt almost near 40wt but as a full ester which handles the heat & really superior oil for the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #21
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt
I am sold on the Pennzoil from nat-gas as a cleaner oil. Very interesting that on the Pennzoil Web site they recommend Euro 5W-40 which does have a pour point of -42. Where BMW does say that a 5-40 CAN BE USED -- THE MOST COMMON oil used at a dealership for the N55 is 0W-30.
I am going with Pennzoil EURO 5W-40 LL-01 oil very 5k OCI. Having been a prior owner of the N54 engine -- and reading the latest from Mike Miller who recommends 5k OCI for the N54/N55.
I would think the M2 with an N55 variant would be best served with the EURO 5W-40 in warranty and possibly even Redline 5W-30 post warranty due to RL is a heavy 30wt almost near 40wt but as a full ester which handles the heat & really superior oil for the turbo.
As I said before BMW weighs a lot of things when they go with oil including using one oil worldwide and fuel mileage requirements. They figure for most people if you sacrifice a little less protection for the mileage it's worth it but those that want a little more protection especially in warm climates can go 40 weight. After studying direct injection motors a little more I have decided to go with Pennzoil 5w-40 platinum euro in my 1M. DI motors inject fuel directly into the cylinder so some fuel is sprayed in the cylinder walls and makes it into the oil. That's why they use synth ti and special additives to keep it from thinning. 40 gives a little extra protection in my opinion. As to 0 weight I also worry about such thin oil even if only during low temps. These motors leak all the time when they get older and I wonder if thinner oil will help makes leaks a little bigger as well as possible blow by and as consumer reports extra oil passing through valve guides and rings. Not ready to gamble my pride and joy with Jack of all trades oil.
Appreciate 2
Chuck W.354.00
123Britt287.00
      08-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #22
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

So my "friend" decided to go with 300v Trophy 0w40, the same Oil that is highly recommend for GTR, and any high performance sport car

He got X5 for which he get rid of bmw warranty from the first day as this oil is not LL approved and he wanted to keep the car for very time period, so he started to fill it from his first service, and after 150k miles not a single problem he had with it engine or turbo.

It costs twice more than any regular oil, and it's recommended to be changed around 5-6k miles.

I'm looking forward to see the difference and let you know.
Appreciate 0