E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i will be my first car with turbo... any rules of thumb to know of?

03-14-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
rdsport323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

335i will be my first car with turbo... any rules of thumb to know of?

Since this will be my first turbo car, are there any particular things I should know in order to keep the car in perfect working condition? Like any differences? break-in period, RPMs, how often to get an oil change?

and are there any modifications that can be done to make the engine last longer? I plan on keeping the car for about 5 or so years, and so I want it to last with minimal problems in the long run. Turbo cars are much more expensive to repair after 50k miles? or cheaper?

thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

You either won't or will hardly notice that the engine has two turbochargers - since they are small the turbolag is hardly if at all noticeable. I picked up mine last week and it's the first turbo car I've driven and I can't notice it.

For break-in (what we call run in) just follow the normal procedures - don't thrash it from day 1 but also don't sit there with the cruise control on at a set rpm - keep the revs moving up and down and gradually increase the revs. Mine's at 700 miles and I've been giving it brief bursts up to 6,000 to 6,5000. It will be 5,000 to 10,000 miles before I feel it really loosen up.

There are no mods to make to increase the engine's life. If properly maintained and driven it should comfortably run for 100,000 + miles. turbo cars are neither more nor less expensive to maintain than non turbo cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
DBville
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not yet

Read the manual and follow the break in instructions. Most people suggest changing the oil more frequently than BMW recommends. Probably every 5,000 - 7,500 miles, and probably once before 5,000, as a "break in" change. Use a quality oil (if you change it yourself more frequently than recommended) - I suggest using the BMW oil - it is about the same price as Mobil 1 or other synthetics, and won't have any issues with warranty.

Like all cars, let it warm up before really jumping on it, and don't let the oil get too low (it will tell you at 3:00 am that it needs a quart NOW!! ).

Make sure you "blow the carbon out of it" every month or so

'08 E90 335i
Sparkling Graphite
PCD 11/28
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

warmup isnt required before driving ( i tend to wait for the rpms to drop below 1k)... however warmup the car to a resonable temperature before ROMP time.

I really cant add any more then these two fine gentlemen left.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
305coupe335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe sports pckg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsport323 View Post
Since this will be my first turbo car, are there any particular things I should know in order to keep the car in perfect working condition? Like any differences? break-in period, RPMs, how often to get an oil change?

and are there any modifications that can be done to make the engine last longer? I plan on keeping the car for about 5 or so years, and so I want it to last with minimal problems in the long run. Turbo cars are much more expensive to repair after 50k miles? or cheaper?

thanks for the info
My first turbo car as well. I broke my car in just like Welsh mentioned and at 1500mi. it seems to be pulling harder than ever. I want to keep my car 5+ years as well and its also daily driven so Im not going WOT constantly, but the urge will probably come once tuned. Just keep an eye on service and you should be good
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

the car acts like a na..no turbo lag..awesome throttle response..so no not really..it takes a lil longer to heat up... though the interior heats up in a second if its cold!!!! the car is a beast and you will LOVE IT!!!!!!!! congrats

if you are gonna mod then yeah obviously there are different mods for fi and na cars....

important...do a 1200 mile break in oil change and a 7500 you will have to pay for them but every intelligent bmw nut i have talked to even mike from tech talk in roundel says to do it and treat the car like an M!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBville View Post
Read the manual and follow the break in instructions. Most people suggest changing the oil more frequently than BMW recommends. Probably every 5,000 - 7,500 miles, and probably once before 5,000, as a "break in" change. Use a quality oil (if you change it yourself more frequently than recommended) - I suggest using the BMW oil - it is about the same price as Mobil 1 or other synthetics, and won't have any issues with warranty.

Like all cars, let it warm up before really jumping on it, and don't let the oil get too low (it will tell you at 3:00 am that it needs a quart NOW!! ).

Make sure you "blow the carbon out of it" every month or so
So, on a tangential note - if you change oil more frequently than BMW intervals, how do you get your "free" oil changes, since the service indicator resets (I assume) whenever oil's changed? I want to change mine at 7-10K rather than 15k/1x a year, but the dealer says that I can only get an oil change when the indicator's on. If I am nicer to my car, I'll never trip that indicator (assumption), so therefore get scr3wed?
      03-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
The biggest thing you need to know....

Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsport323 View Post

thanks for the info
Definitely dont touch the flux capacitors...

Let the car warm up a bit more before getting on it in the morning...and let it idle a bit before shutting it down. Power will be slightly less in hot weather...nothing you can do to totally offset that power loss..it is called heat soak.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
jcool10181
Private
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

You are entitled to an oil change every 15k miles or once a year even if the light indicator does not turn on. You can demand service to your dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene Hat View Post
So, on a tangential note - if you change oil more frequently than BMW intervals, how do you get your "free" oil changes, since the service indicator resets (I assume) whenever oil's changed? I want to change mine at 7-10K rather than 15k/1x a year, but the dealer says that I can only get an oil change when the indicator's on. If I am nicer to my car, I'll never trip that indicator (assumption), so therefore get scr3wed?
Service indicator "SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED WHEN YOU PAY FOR AN OIL CHANGE".

a couple of things... your eligible for a low mileage oil change once a year. supposidly they wont reset the service indicator... so if you have 13k low mileage change and 2k later another oil change.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

One other thing. Don't warm the car up by starting it and letting it sit in your drive for 5 minutes. Start it when you intend to drive it as it will warm up quicker and the automatic choke will be on for less time. When the choke is operating you are getting a richer mixture which will tend to remove the protective oil layer from the cylinder bores. So have it operating as little as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
silvrevo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235v 6spd

One of the biggest rules of a Turbo car is,,,,,,,,, Dont put it away WET.

Which means dont flogg on your car and then shut it down.

Easy driving , off boost, of course you can shut it down.

But its kinda a no no to romp on it,, then shut it off.

Letter cool 2 mins. beforehand on this situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #14
silvrevo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235v 6spd

Did the guy above me say CHOKE????????????

Shit I thought my bimmer was direct injected?

I need to go flip my aircleaner asap to gain some extra UMMPh.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

I would highly recommend doing an oil change after break in period ( 1200 miles). But if you're leasing it, then it wouldn't matter much since the car will be returned in a couple of years. You'll be surprised to see how dirty the oil is after such a short period.

In addition to that, like another member has mentioned, don't WOT the car until it heats up a bit. I prefer until the oil temp has hit at least 200 degrees. Normal operating temp should be in the 220-240 zone. When the temp is under 200, I don't take it higher than 4k RPM.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
One of the biggest rules of a Turbo car is,,,,,,,,, Dont put it away WET.

Which means dont flogg on your car and then shut it down.

Easy driving , off boost, of course you can shut it down.

But its kinda a no no to romp on it,, then shut it off.

Letter cool 2 mins. beforehand on this situation.
Even though modern turbo cars don't need to be waited like the older turbo cars, I agree. If you're driving it hard, just take it easy for the next mile or two before your destination. So when you actually arrive, the oil is cool down and you can shut it off immediately w/o waiting. You don't want to go out, drive it like it's stolen and just turn off the car all of a sudden.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
rdsport323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Would a turbo timer help in the longevity of the engine? I recall my friend with a Supra and Eclipse both had one... from what I understood, it kept the engine running for an extra 30 or so seconds after they stopped the car in order for it to cool down? So adding a turbo timer would be more beneficial if you don't feel like sitting out the cooling period?

And in general would starting and stopping the car be better than leaving the car idling while you run to an ATM or run inside our house to grab something?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #18
E90Tony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

On the 355s, the water pump still runs to cool down the turbos after shutdown.
Appreciate 0