E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car went into 1st gear but didn't move?

03-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Car went into 1st gear but didn't move?

On my way home from work, I approached a 90 degree turn and tried to put the car in 1st gear at around 20ish mph. The clutch was floored, but the car refused to go into 1st. I tried 1st gear couple of times while the clutch was still depressed, released the clutch and depressed it again, tried second gear once, but it did not go into either one of those gears. Finally, I made the turn while in neutral, and the car is now probably going 10mph or less. I pressed the clutch again, and if I remember correctly, it went into first gear without any problems, but it was like being in neutral. I assumed I was in first and pressed the gas, but the engine reved to 4500rpm and the car didn't go anywhere. I put it in neutral and back into first, and same results. Now I'm panicing because the guy behind me is honking at me because I'm completely stopped. I put the car in reverse, then back to 1st, and this time it worked like nothing ever happened. So, WTF happened when the car was actually in 1st, but did not move?

I have experienced problems going into 1st gear ONLY when I'm driving more aggressively, and I know the CDV mod may fix that issue, but this was a first for me.

Last edited by BeAmW335i; 03-13-2008 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAmW335i View Post
On my way home from work, I approached a 90 degree turn and tried to put the car in 1st gear at around 20-25 mph. The clutch was floored, but the car refused to go into 1st. I tried 1st gear couple of times while the clutch was still depressed, released the clutch and depressed it again, tried second gear once, but it did not go into either one of those gears. Finally, I made the turn while in neutral, and the car is now probably going 10mph or less. I pressed the clutch again, and if I remember correctly, it went into first gear without any problems, but it was like being in neutral. I assumed I was in first and pressed the gas, but the engine reved to 4500rpm and the car didn't go anywhere. I put it in neutral and back into first, and same results. Now I'm panicing because the guy behind me is honking at me because I'm completely stopped. I put the car in reverse, then back to 1st, and this time it worked like nothing ever happened. So, WTF happened when the car was actually in 1st, but did not move?

I have experienced problems going into 1st gear ONLY when I'm driving more aggressively, and I know the CDV mod may fix that issue, but this was a first for me.
First manual car? 1st gear has a single set of synchros, It's only meant to be engaged from a stop. Next time put the car in neutral, engage the clutch, rev it and quickly depress it/engage first gear.
      03-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
rje
RJE 335xi E90 Monaco Blue/Lemon, MB C350 White/Blk
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-335xi E90, 07 MDX,11 C350-4

+1, I'd never go back to 1st gear unless I'm almost 0 speed or full stop. 2nd gear can handle that low speed. It's either a safety feature that's why it didn't go 1st gear or it did not engage the gear properly. Sometimes pumping the clutch helps.

My steptronic auto starts actually at 2nd gear from a full stop most of the time. Only when I engage 1st from full stop that it goes to 1st, at least from what I observed so far.

Go get it check though, making sure you didn't break anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Yah man, you should never put the car in first when going that fast.
I actually never ever put the car in first if the car is even rolling a bit.
Why are you trying to put it in first anyway at 20-25 mph??

Quote:
On my way home from work, I approached a 90 degree turn and tried to put the car in 1st gear at around 20-25 mph. The clutch was floored, but the car refused to go into 1st. I tried 1st gear couple of times while the clutch was still depressed, released the clutch and depressed it again, tried second gear once, but it did not go into either one of those gears. Finally, I made the turn while in neutral, and the car is now probably going 10mph or less. I pressed the clutch again, and if I remember correctly, it went into first gear without any problems, but it was like being in neutral. I assumed I was in first and pressed the gas, but the engine reved to 4500rpm and the car didn't go anywhere. I put it in neutral and back into first, and same results. Now I'm panicing because the guy behind me is honking at me because I'm completely stopped. I put the car in reverse, then back to 1st, and this time it worked like nothing ever happened. So, WTF happened when the car was actually in 1st, but did not move?

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Actually, it's my second manual car, but I did not know that you are not supposed to put car in 1st, if the car is actually moving. Mr. 5, I probably was not going 25mph, but it was probably around ~15. It was just an estimate...the whole thing happened and lasted few seconds. I don't think that anything is broke, but I will go for a drive tonight and make sure everything is good. Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Yeah man that is a good way to do some serious damage to your car. You will likely rev to almost 6k at 20-25. I know people who use it to slow their car down at a red light and it always turns my stomach hearing it. Especially coming around a slow turn at 20-25 you are at 1500-2500 rpms in 2nd.. this car has the low end torque to accelerate after the turn.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
You live, you learn. Just drop it into 2nd gear next time.

I once drove in an EVO IX with a kid who had no idea how to properly drive his car, and he had a bad habit of trying to revmatch 1st gear downshifts when he was doing ~15mph... I just looked at the kid like he was retarded while I was suffering from whiplash and listening to his drivetrain crying.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Every once and a while when I'm feeling balsy, I'll rev match and double clutch into first gear while at a fast roll. This is usually done when I'm making a U turn and traffic is coming.
This usually means that I should have just waited for the traffic to go by.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

You dont have to be stopped to downshift into first but I wouldnt do it going more than 5 mph.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
You will likely rev to almost 6k at 20-25.
No, believe me I wouldn't do that. Whatever speed I was truely at, if 1st gear would have engaged, it would have been somewhere around 3500 rpm. I was planning on going into first gear at say 20mph (don't quote me on that), shift into 1st and hold the clutch until I get to the turn, using the breaks to slow down, so right after the turn I could be in first gear. I know it's probably not the right way to do it. I was not looking at the speedo, and was just estimating the 20-25mph speed earlier. Live and learn...I guess. I'm going to go for a drive and report back. Talk about a crappy feeling!
      03-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, back from the drive. Everything seems to be fine. No noise, problems, or issues with up or down-shifting. Hopefully no damage was done, at least it doesn't seem like it. Just for the record, at 20mph, 1st gear RPM's are at 3100. NO, I did not downshift to 1st at 20mph to check the RPM's!! It was from a rolling start, okay.

Again, thanks for the replies. Time to go learn about synchros.
      03-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I cannot imagine a situation when I would down shift into first. That's crazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I just looked at the kid like he was retarded while I was suffering from whiplash and listening to his drivetrain crying.
funny!
      03-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Every once and a while when I'm feeling balsy, I'll rev match and double clutch into first gear while at a fast roll. This is usually done when I'm making a U turn and traffic is coming.
This usually means that I should have just waited for the traffic to go by.
HA putting it in first is not the ballsy thing, doing a U turn in first is! I slide around when I'm in second.
      03-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
HA putting it in first is not the ballsy thing, doing a U turn in first is! I slide around when I'm in second.
You can't see what I'm talking about?
Ya know...

-You need to flip a Btch up ahead
-It's clear to do so, but you see traffic apporaching quickly
-You are currently driving at aprox 40 mph.
-Pull into the left hand turn lane
-BRAKES
-Traffic is getting closer
-Push in the clutch
-Start making the turn
-Let out the clutch
-rev match to first gear
-push in the clutch
-Throw in first
-accelerate and get far in front fo the traffic.

Again, it's safer to just wait for the traffic to clear, but it's fun to do every once and a while.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #16
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
You can't see what I'm talking about?
Ya know...

-You need to flip a Btch up ahead
-It's clear to do so, but you see traffic apporaching quickly
-You are currently driving at aprox 40 mph.
-Pull into the left hand turn lane
-BRAKES
-Traffic is getting closer
-Push in the clutch
-Start making the turn
-Let out the clutch
-rev match to first gear
-push in the clutch
-Throw in first
-accelerate and get far in front fo the traffic.

Again, it's safer to just wait for the traffic to clear, but it's fun to do every once and a while.

Right I know how to double cutch, I'm talking about you taking it in first. Whenever I make a U turn I shift ASAP into second for it, otherwise you're going for a ride.
      03-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #17
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Right I know how to double cutch, I'm talking about you taking it in first. Whenever I make a U turn I shift ASAP into second for it, otherwise you're going for a ride.
I figured you did.
I was just letting others try to visualize what I was talking about.
Double clutching is the only way I would ever go into first.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #18
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Actually, it's my second manual car, but I did not know that you are not supposed to put car in 1st, if the car is actually moving. Mr. 5, I probably was not going 25mph, but it was probably around ~15. It was just an estimate...the whole thing happened and lasted few seconds. I don't think that anything is broke, but I will go for a drive tonight and make sure everything is good. Thanks for the replies.

My friend, it's not that you really shouldn't, but why would you? There is no need to put you car in first gear unless stopped or rolling to a stop.

Since there is no reason and doing so, is a big no-no, BMW made safeguards to prevent it. Half the time I don't even use first gear and just start from a stop in second gear. Chances are, if your car is moving 2mph-25mph, 2 gear is perfect to downshift into.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #19
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Like others have mentioned, I was just trying to have some fun by kicking the tail out a bit during the turn, but things didn't turn out right. Maybe first gear never engaged at all, that's why it felt like I was in neutral. I've been driving around all day and no problems at all. Good learning experience and learned something new!