F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Power Tap for Infinity Basslink in trunk & Wiring to Bimmer-Tech PP82DSP
Studio RSR

05-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Power Tap for Infinity Basslink in trunk & Wiring to Bimmer-Tech PP82DSP

Hi All!

Well, after spending MANY hours reading posts and searching the threads I had to give in and post a couple questions...!

I'M the one that usually smacks people to get them to search 1st , so if I missed this, so sorry.

I have a 2015 F30 with HiFi. Just ordered a Bimmer-Tech PP82DSP to start me on the road to better sound.

I'm an Electronics Tech (47 years) and a Computer Tech, but you just can't know everything. I've done a few Auto sound upgrades over the years, so I'm sure I'll do alright in the end. I say all this so you know you can get technical if needed.

I intend to setup the Bimmer-Tech PP82DSP when it arrives, and slowly upgrade my other speakers. For the time being, I understand it will help the underseat mid-woofers sound better. I expect to replace them (1st upgrade) with Earthquakes.

Until then, although I'd love to go with a custom Sub and dedicated amp in the battery compartment route, I can't afford it right now, so I'm resurrecting an almost unused Infinity Basslink II for use in the trunk, to help out the under seat ones.

I just ordered some replacement caps and connectors for the amp module (Digikey) as it has crappy Chinese caps, so I'll recap it. I then intend to close the hole where the amp went with some MDF & a gasket. Numerous people have had problems with this design since the electronics gets shaken to death by the sub. I'll make up an enclosure (properly heat-sinked) so I can mount it outside the box.

All this is no problem, but what I couldn't seem to find is where people are tapping power to run an external amp! As the battery and fuse box are right there, it should be easy. I have high grade wire and a fuse box, plus the amp is fused 20A, but where should I tap???!?

Obviously haven't got a manual...

I also would like anyone who's done an external amp from the PP82DSP to weigh in on how they setup. I know it has Aux RCA's out, and assume {AHEM!!} that the channels can be redirected in the software, but any tips going in will be appreciated. Once I get it all setup nice I'll post my config file in the thread for the PP82DSP.

Thanks in advance!!
PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

If you're adding a trunk sub why are you doing the Earthquake subwoofers?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
If you're adding a trunk sub why are you doing the Earthquake subwoofers?
~~EDIT: I mis-read this! I thought you asked why I was doing the trunk sub!!~~ I won't re-write it all, but I hope to do the earthquakes in the future, then perhaps a battery box sub. The Infinity Basslink is fugly and takes up trunk space, it's also not real musical...

Trunk sub: To give the stock underseats some help on the lower end of the range.

As I understand it, and from listening to them, they are pretty weak in the lower registers. Not surprising for such small "sub woofers".

Even with the profile correction allowed by the PP82DSP they inherently will shine in the mid bass range, but be pretty weak down low, or am I incorrect??

Not that the 10" Inifinity is such a star there either, but I figured if profiled right it could help reinforce the deeper bass.

I am not doing the Earthquakes for a while, my wife is voting for Rear Camera next... LOL! (Know anyone who sells such a thing? {Grin})

So although I'm FAR from a bass-head (more of an "accurate" guy) the bass in this car is pretty weak. I may not need the Infinity after upgrade, but for now...

Leap in and tell me I'm nuts if I'm nuts!! You and many others in here have WAY more real world training than I do in this subject.

I am but the student, Jedi Master!

PuterPro

Last edited by PuterPro; 05-09-2016 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Correct a line
Appreciate 0