BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > BimmerFile drove the 1M and M2 back to back for a week: their thoughts

05-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

BimmerFile drove the 1M and M2 back to back for a week: their thoughts

BimmerFile drove the 1M and M2 back to back for a week.

Who turns out to be their favorite of the two ?

Spoiler below.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2016/05/04...vs-the-bmw-1m/

Spoiler alert: in brief: 1M versus M2 = a wildcat (not domesticated) versus a wild housecat (semi domesticated).
      05-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Spoiler below.

Spoiler alert: in brief: 1M versus M2 = a wildcat (not domesticated) versus a wild housecat (semi domesticated).
I would put the comparison at more of a Pitbull versus Doberman. Both are great guard dogs, one might turn on you at any unexpected moment (1M), the other is bigger/stronger/faster (M2). My read is that they all wanted the 1M in their garage at the end of the day, for that very rawness. My takeaway is I am more of a fit for the M2, as I prefer not to sleep with one eye open.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I'm happy for BMW and drivers in general that there is an M2 .. so that more people can access the greatness of the 1M..

The M2 is a spectacular 1M version 2.0... But as with many sequels, the original is the best.

Now that BMW has made a more civilized M2 for the " masses " ( The few that can manage to get an M2... ) , I hope they go back and release the Kraaken and deliver me an M2 CSL.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
The M2 is a spectacular 1M version 2.0... But as with many sequels, the original is the best.
If we are going with the movie metaphor, think of it as Alien versus Aliens... both great but different. Original is scarier, sequel has better production values with more thunder and lightning.

Though I know that there is only one answer a 1M'er will accept
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2016, 03:23 AM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Spoiler below.

Although back2back is no longer an option in your case (and for most of us), as a former 1M owner, what's your view on the points mentioned in the comparative reviews?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Although back2back is no longer an option in your case (and for most of us), as a former 1M owner, what's your view on the points mentioned in the comparative reviews?
My name is A and I approve this car.

Reserving my right to become overzealous for later: first the car got to sail through its gentle break-in period and its mandatory 2K km /1.2K miles maintenance (with BMW unlocking the M Driver's Package + activating all available power settings). Later it will get the chance to shine its true colors as a squirrel frantically zipping through mountain twisties: that's where it can be bestowed with, or denied, accolades.

But the 'at first glance' impressions are promising, as expected. The M2 is definitely a great car. A joy to drive. Loving it to bits. Among the best of what BMW has on offer today.

But driving the M2 also makes you realize what a damn hands-on, straight up, no frills, 'oldskool' motoring marvel the 1M is. A raw diamond from the bygone semi-analog era. If the driver is willing to work the machine, the 1M can offer him/her a great ride, but be cautious not to get too carried away or the car takes charge of things.

Let there be no doubt: the 1M was and remains the 'pocket rocket' benchmark - the point of reference for BMW and the competition. The M2 is more helpful in assisting the driver to stay on course - it's more planted, less twitchy.

Both are leagues of their own. I love both.