E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > iPhone iCloud Help

05-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

iPhone iCloud Help

Backed up a replacement phone via the iCloud in April no drama's at all yesterday evening the Cloud done its thing and you believe it wiped over 2500 songs(that had come from my CD collection - not purchased) from the iPhone, opted to check via the PC that I use for iTunes etc. and same issue here.

I usually back up via the PC but on this one occasion when the replacement phone was delivered I done everything via the iCloud seems very odd but nothing surprises me.

I have sent the usual request for help email to Apple but I think I'd have to do some sort of recovery/restore via the PC and this is where I get lost as I haven't really got a clue re how you check or how you get the lost music restored (I'm sure its stored on my PC)

Any help hints would realy help me out
      05-17-2016, 12:21 AM   #2
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Hi Steve,

so where were the 2500 songs originally stored? on the pc itself or always on the cloud?

if they were on the pc, you can use software to recover them from the hard drive even if they've mysteriously disappeared

if they were on the iCloud and disappeared that's a slightly different situation

As far as I remember , music files are stored locally on the PC. If you synced the new device to iTunes it will have just shown you what's on the new device and unless "auto sync" with the music library was selected, it won't have transferred your music automatically.
The other thing to check is if the option for iCloud Music Library is turned on for both devices.

This website may / may not help http://http://m.imore.com/everything...-music-library

Hope that hasn't confused you even further! Apples insistence on using iTunes and locking down their devices has really made it hard to troubleshoot problems because the workarounds are rarely simple.

also...if you can help it, I would advise very strongly moving away from iCloud completely. It's a broken system and isn't the seamless utopia that Apple make it out to be. I had so many issues with it I dropped it like a bad habit.

Dropbox is a better alternative or something like Synology's NAS drives

Last edited by raptor_f22; 05-17-2016 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_f22 View Post
Hi Steve,

so where were the 2500 songs originally stored? on the pc itself or always on the cloud?

if they were on the pc, you can use software to recover them from the hard drive even if they've mysteriously disappeared

if they were on the iCloud and disappeared that's a slightly different situation

As far as I remember , music files are stored locally on the PC. If you synced the new device to iTunes it will have just shown you what's on the new device and unless "auto sync" with the music library was selected, it won't have transferred your music automatically.
The other thing to check is if the option for iCloud Music Library is turned on for both devices.

This website may / may not help http://http://m.imore.com/everything...-music-library

Hope that hasn't confused you even further! Apples insistence on using iTunes and locking down their devices has really made it hard to troubleshoot problems because the workarounds are rarely simple.

also...if you can help it, I would advise very strongly moving away from iCloud completely. It's a broken system and isn't the seamless utopia that Apple make it out to be. I had so many issues with it I dropped it like a bad habit.

Dropbox is a better alternative or something like Synology's NAS drives
Its all sorted I had a back up on the PC at home as I always do plus when my new phone arrived it was backed up as I had no direct access to PC at work it was all set up via the iCloud.

Then iCloud done an update then all songs bar the pre purchased ones were lost looking on the Apple forum this isn't unusual but main thing its done... but thanks for getting back to me