BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

M3 vs S5 - S5 wins?

I dont see these as rivals but Leftlanenews posted a comparison:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/review-audi-s5.html

Bottom line

Having driven the M3 only a few weeks ago, we couldn’t help drawing some comparisons. On the whole, these cars both get their owners to the same fun-driving goals, but they accomplish that in very different ways.

The M3 is slightly more attractive on the exterior, but the interior colors and style of the S5 are definitely more pleasing. It makes you feel good just to sit in this car, even though the BMW engineers would argue that all those colors and textures will take your mind off your driving.

The M3 can get you from zero to sixty a few tenths of a tick faster than the S5, but the M3 does it at higher rpm, so you always seem to be working harder for the same reward. On corners, especially on the track, the M3’s technology will get an average driver around the corner as fast as a better driver can do it in an S5, but when with a little practice, you can make the Audi perform just as well, the achievement feels more satisfying.

To put the comparison into perspective, if we were offered a choice between the two cars, we’d have to flip a coin to make our choice, and wouldn’t be unhappy with heads or tails. On the other hand, in the real world of real buyers, where we’re hearing reports of dealers adding as much as $30,000 of “market adjustment fees” to the price of the M3, the choice may be easier.
      03-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quite a complement to the S5. Especially in the company of the M3. Now just to be clear I have not driven either car. All I can do is summarize some knowns from the press.

One thing about M3's that is and has been true about every generation of the car is FUN. Even in the elite company of the R8, GT-R and 997TT the M3 came out on top as the most fun in the recent comparison. So that leads me to suspect the validity of this opinion. Sure the S5 is a great ride but the text implies to me that S5 is more fun ("more satisfying"). Given its heft, weight balance issues and AWD I simple find this next to impossible to believe that it is either more fun or more satisfying.

As we all know it certainly is not a competitor with regards to true ultimate performance on a track. I guess I can live with only a few ticks faster 0-60...

Footie: Please wax poetic about how much better the S5 is on the cold, wet, narrow roads of the UK...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Swamp,

Why am I not surprised to find my name roll off your keyboard when the S5 is mentioned.

Well, unlike you I have had to pleasure to own one for a few months now and driven the other on a few occasions and while I could wax poetic words on the benefits of the S5's drivability on my cold, wet and narrow UK roads I don't think even you would doubt that in such conditions the Audi will hold the upper hand.

But I don't think that this report was conducted in such weather conditions, so I too am finding it strange to see how they found the S5 the more rewarding (slight change of words but not meaning) when driven well. I wouldn't deny that awd, especially one like that of the S5's setup could provide anything like as rewarding as a polished rwd chassis like the one in the M3. It's cornering ability maybe as good as the M3's but it's how the S5 achieves it's similar result are totally different, it's effortless in comparison and makes you wonder why all the fuss and excitement was made by the M3 driver for tackling the same corner or road at the same speed.

Sorry leftlanenews but as an Audi S5 owner I can't agree that on pure entertainment or is more rewarding to drive well than the M3, in fact it's quite the opposite.

As for the difference in 0-60 times, I would agree that in the real world with the M3's traction issues the S5 will only be a few tenths behind but as the speed increases the M3 will work out a comfortable lead which is the be expected.

One thing I totally agree with is that the S5 has by a country mile the better interior, but as such thing are very personal you or many other might not agree we me which is everyones right.

P.S.

Well swamp, did this reply surprise.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Swamp,

Why am I not surprised to find my name roll off your keyboard when the S5 is mentioned.

Well, unlike you I have had to pleasure to own one for a few months now and driven the other on a few occasions and while I could wax poetic words on the benefits of the S5's drivability on my cold, wet and narrow UK roads I don't think even you would doubt that in such conditions the Audi will hold the upper hand.

But I don't think that this report was conducted in such weather conditions, so I too am finding it strange to see how they found the S5 the more rewarding (slight change of words but not meaning) when driven well. I wouldn't deny that awd, especially one like that of the S5's setup could provide anything like as rewarding as a polished rwd chassis like the one in the M3. It's cornering ability maybe as good as the M3's but it's how the S5 achieves it's similar result are totally different, it's effortless in comparison and makes you wonder why all the fuss and excitement was made by the M3 driver for tackling the same corner or road at the same speed.

Sorry leftlanenews but as an Audi S5 owner I can't agree that on pure entertainment or is more rewarding to drive well than the M3, in fact it's quite the opposite.

As for the difference in 0-60 times, I would agree that in the real world with the M3's traction issues the S5 will only be a few tenths behind but as the speed increases the M3 will work out a comfortable lead which is the be expected.

One thing I totally agree with is that the S5 has by a country mile the better interior, but as such thing are very personal you or many other might not agree we me which is everyones right.

P.S.

Nice review!!!! Thanks!
      03-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

bs the m3 will kill stock vs stock
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
i drove S5 when i had my 335. S5 felt like a camry. it was very wobbly. but interior is pure sex.

i dont see anyway S5 > M3 or the 335 unless u consider the 30,000 markup
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

I have'nt driven either one, but my vote will have to go to the M3 for overall comparison. But if the comparison is based on looks alone, i'll have to go with the S5.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
I have'nt driven either one, but my vote will have to go to the M3 for overall comparison. But if the comparison is based on looks alone, i'll have to go with the S5.
Like both cars, but I think the looks of the M3 Coupe is a bit nicer!!

03-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Swamp,

Nice post footie. I guess I was a bit surprised, but also glad to see you dissenting with their opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

One test doesn't really tell you anything.

More than one mag/TV show have tested the S5 Vs the 335 and the BMW does get faster around the tracks.

Also remember that in Top Gear, the M3 "destroyed" the RS4.

The S5 is a very nice car, but is no competition to the M3. Actually, I think it's kind of unfair to compare them.

What I do think will be much faster than the M3 is the upcoming RS4 (at least 2 more years). Is supposed to have a V10 engine and I'm guessing that will have more than 500HP, but cost a lot more than the M3. If the base MRSP reaches the 70K, I won't be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Nice post footie. I guess I was a bit surprised, but also glad to see you dissenting with their opinion.
I noticed you didn't comment of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie
while I could wax poetic words on the benefits of the S5's driveability on my cold, wet and narrow UK roads I don't think even you would doubt that in such conditions the Audi will hold the upper hand
I take then that you must agree with me.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
One test doesn't really tell you anything.

More than one mag/TV show have tested the S5 Vs the 335 and the BMW does get faster around the tracks.

Also remember that in Top Gear, the M3 "destroyed" the RS4.

The S5 is a very nice car, but is no competition to the M3. Actually, I think it's kind of unfair to compare them.

What I do think will be much faster than the M3 is the upcoming RS4 (at least 2 more years). Is supposed to have a V10 engine and I'm guessing that will have more than 500HP, but cost a lot more than the M3. If the base MRSP reaches the 70K, I won't be surprised.
It depends on what no competition to the M3 means. On a track or for handling abilities in normal weather conditions, M3 wins hands down. For competition to be the car someone picks as "their best", the Audi can compete. It is attractive (especially on the inside), drives well, carries Audi's more subdued image and is cheaper. So it is competition to the M3 for the buying decision to many.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4bmw View Post
It depends on what no competition to the M3 means. On a track or for handling abilities in normal weather conditions, M3 wins hands down. For competition to be the car someone picks as "their best", the Audi can compete. It is attractive (especially on the inside), drives well, carries Audi's more subdued image and is cheaper. So it is competition to the M3 for the buying decision to many.
Well, I'm assuming that if someone is picking a M or S series, then performance is a pretty important factor. The other variable here is price. So ir would be performance for price.

The S5 is closer to the 335 and has always been compared with it.

Any car would be a competition if you just think about each person's best. Actually most part of the population would choose a camry for 25k than a M3 for 70k (even of the have the money).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, I'm assuming that if someone is picking a M or S series, then performance is a pretty important factor. The other variable here is price. So ir would be performance for price.

The S5 is closer to the 335 and has always been compared with it.
I agree that performance is an important factor. But, using that logic you should not buy an M3 or S5 and get a GT-R. For roughly the same price as the M3 it blows it away in performance.

I use more factors in my choice for a car and do not even consider buying the GT-R. M3 is top of my list, but I do eye the S5.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree that performance is an important factor. But, using that logic you should not buy an M3 or S5 and get a GT-R. For roughly the same price as the M3 it blows it away in performance.

I use more factors in my choice for a car and do not even consider buying the GT-R. M3 is top of my list, but I do eye the S5.
Ok, I'm sorry.

The category would be:

"European (or trying to imitate germans/europeans), high performance luxury car for about 60-70k"

That would be the RS4, AMG C63, IS-R...

The GT-R is far away from that (performance... period), and of course that the S5 is closer to the M3, but it's not fair to make them compete. The natural rival is the 335.

(and I wouln't buy the GT-R either )

The GT-R would have no place over ther
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #16
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I'm sorry.

The category would be:

"European (or trying to imitate germans/europeans), high performance luxury car for about 60-70k"

That would be the RS4, AMG C63, IS-R...

The GT-R is far away from that (performance... period), and of course that the S5 is closer to the M3, but it's not fair to make them compete. The natural rival is the 335.

(and I wouln't buy the GT-R either )

The GT-R would have no place over ther

I hear you. Also, agree the M3 rules the top of that list. There is a lot more competition now.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #17
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:

Well said and I second that!!!
      03-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

R&T test times

0-100
S5 12.1 sec
M3 9.5 sec

that's the end of it. The S5 ~= to the 335i (stock)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #19
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
R&T test times

0-100
S5 12.1 sec
M3 9.5 sec

that's the end of it. The S5 ~= to the 335i (stock)
Hahahahah!! Perfect!!! It does feel that way but good to have some stats!!!
      03-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #20
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

The $30k mark-up is BS. Almost everybody on the forum is paying MSRP or less.
      03-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Yea, I think that is a bunch of BS!!! Don't really see that unless there was a huge shortage of M3 or a very limited number!
      03-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #22
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

we're paying the $10K mark-up (aka the option list).

I may look at a S5 just to be sure but likely I'd prefer the M3.

Last edited by rai; 03-18-2008 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0