E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Removing a Hartge piggyback to go MHD route

04-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 M Sport 335i

Removing a Hartge piggyback to go MHD route

Sorry. Newbie to modding an N54. It looks like the Hartge map on my 2007 e91 335i may well be a Piggyback module rather than a MAP file (not looked for it yet). So I imagine I'll need to take that out before playing with MHD.

Has anyone removed/installed a Hartge piggyback from an N54? Is there anything I should know before doing it?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I never knew they had a tune. That being said I heard of Hartge.

I looked on their site which is extremely confusing.

I'm not sure if it's a flash tune or piggyback.

They do show this on the site:

So if that is somewhere in your engine bay that would likely need to be removed.

If you can't find anything like that then chances are you have a flash tune.

If you do have a flash tune I believe you can just write over it but I'm not 100% sure. That would be a question for MHD direct or possibly Hartge.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I never knew they had a tune. That being said I heard of Hartge.

I looked on their site which is extremely confusing.

I'm not sure if it's a flash tune or piggyback.

They do show this on the site:

So if that is somewhere in your engine bay that would likely need to be removed.

If you can't find anything like that then chances are you have a flash tune.

If you do have a flash tune I believe you can just write over it but I'm not 100% sure. That would be a question for MHD direct or possibly Hartge.
Yeah, it's damned confusing. I've since read the N55 is Piggyback, whereas the N54 is a straight Flash.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Flex68
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

whe the ...is that and where would that go???? looks like one of the ebays gimmick piggy back modules that dont actually do anything lol ...def good decision removing whatever that is and going MHD
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
whe the ...is that and where would that go???? looks like one of the ebays gimmick piggy back modules that dont actually do anything lol ...def good decision removing whatever that is and going MHD
Yes it looks odd, but if it is authentic Hartge then there is nothing to worry about. You make it sound like BMW hasn't been extensively using Hartge as an aftermarket performance company for the past 30+ years.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
Haha. Yeah that's not the main HARTGE Piggyback module as far as I know. And that's certainly not in my engine bay. The Hartge unit taps into 7 of the existing car's systems, wastegate control and a number of others, apparently using the same connectors etc.

I can't see it anywhere at a glance in my engine bay, however I'm new to the N54 so don't know exactly where to look. Reading through t'internet again, I'm thinking it's a straight HARTGE flash that I have on my car.

I downloaded the current map from the car using MHD. It took around 7 minutes and is about 2mb (two files, one is about 2mb the other 260kish). Does that sound about right for time/file size when backing up your current map with MHD?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theador View Post
Haha. Yeah that's not the main HARTGE Piggyback module as far as I know. And that's certainly not in my engine bay. The Hartge unit taps into 7 of the existing car's systems, wastegate control and a number of others, apparently using the same connectors etc.

I can't see it anywhere at a glance in my engine bay, however I'm new to the N54 so don't know exactly where to look. Reading through t'internet again, I'm thinking it's a straight HARTGE flash that I have on my car.

I downloaded the current map from the car using MHD. It took around 7 minutes and is about 2mb (two files, one is about 2mb the other 260kish). Does that sound about right for time/file size when backing up your current map with MHD?
Have you opened up the ECU cover and check there? Typically, that's where the piggyback would be.......

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:

When under the hood looking at the front windshield the top left most cover is the ECU. A piggyback would usually be in there.

*For the record I know it's an N52 motor but the ECU is in the same place

The only other piggyback that wouldn't be there would be just tapped into the TMAP by the throttle body like a JB+ would.

Which really isn't a piggyback but a glorified boost controller but now we are talking semantics
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #9
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When under the hood looking at the front windshield the top left most cover is the ECU. A piggyback would usually be in there.

*For the record I know it's an N52 motor but the ECU is in the same place

The only other piggyback that wouldn't be there would be just tapped into the TMAP by the throttle body like a JB+ would.

Which really isn't a piggyback but a glorified boost controller but now we are talking semantics
Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow. Can I get to that without taking the cabin filter assembly off?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow. Can I get to that without taking the cabin filter assembly off?
The cowl assembly and cabin filter must be removed.

I believe it's 10 bolts in total, 8MM size. Very simple.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #11
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

theador, our ECU is on the right (RHD)
      05-18-2016, 12:49 AM   #12
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The cowl assembly and cabin filter must be removed.

I believe it's 10 bolts in total, 8MM size. Very simple.
Yeah I did it recently to check the vacuum lines. Was just being lazy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozy View Post
theador, our ECU is on the right (RHD)
Ha. Thanks for that.
Appreciate 0