E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tuning and warranty discussions make no sense

03-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Tuning and warranty discussions make no sense

Hi,

All over the forum you can read about warranty questions and tuning. The time will come when the warranty for the car will expire and from that point you need a reliable tune. So the question is not: Will I void my warranty, the question is about the reliability of the tuning.

Of course, you can ruin your car when it's a lease and let others pay for your behavior. That's not my style.

Feedback is welcome, as everytime .

Cheers,
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I agree. The only warranty I really care about is the electronics warranty.

If I blow something up, we have the techonology. We can rebuild it, better, faster, stronger. At which point, I'll have a more reliable and faster car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Eugene, are you still running the JB2H right now or are you in the process of trying out the Attache?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicilianoNJ View Post
Eugene, are you still running the JB2H right now or are you in the process of trying out the Attache?
I am still on JB2H and will get the AA Active Processor soon. I have quit with the PROcede, I have been too impatient ( if is is impatient to quit waiting after 10 months ).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Magnus357
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe - On Order!

I can both agree and disagree.

I do agree that if a person has questions about the possibility of damage to their engine from the tune, then they either need to be ready to pay for the consequences or remove the tune.

That said, the 335i as a car is still very new. I have a strong feeling that some of these issues that have been cropping up, such as HPFP and wastegate issues, are not necessarily related to the tune. In the case where the problem is not related to the tune, I feel that BMW should be responsible for fixing the problem. I do understand, however, that knowing whether or not an issue is caused by the tune is not exactly straight forward.

If a person wants to protect themselves from having to pay for issues with the car that were caused by manufacturing or design, they need to be concerned about the state of their warranty. It is a fine line however.

What about the case of a person who used the car for nothing but drag racing? Imagine that every time the engine was started it was going to be run to red line and launched as hard as humanly possible. Should BMW be responsible for fixing problems with this car despite the fact that it's perfectly stock? What if someone used their car like then and it was a lease? Would it be immoral to do so?

I'm personally going to installed a JB2 and take it out before service each time. I own my car, but I do plan to sell it/trade it in before the warranty is up. I don't really rag on my cars though, but I wont feel bad for a second when I go to sell it. That's the risk people run when they buy used cars. People need to remember when they buy a certified pre-owned car that it doesn't mean the car was treated kindly. Just that it was kept clean and was never wrecked.

My 0.02 at least. . .
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
CPO cars could have been wrecked too, but if so they had to have been repaired by the dealership or BMW approved repair shop and the wreck will be disclosed.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Hi,

All over the forum you can read about warranty questions and tuning. The time will come when the warranty for the car will expire and from that point you need a reliable tune. So the question is not: Will I void my warranty, the question is about the reliability of the tuning.
Of course, you can ruin your car when it's a lease and let others pay for your behavior. That's not my style.

Cheers,
Eugen
Just to keep this thread a little informative, please read what Eugen ask (underline it under the quote).

this would be interesting, 2 things on my list:
1) the mod itself to be reliable, no limp, fry ECU, battery drain etc.
2) engine safety limit is preserve (this for longevity). If not then BMW will crack down on mods and no-body will care to spend money on this kinda mod since waranty is out the door on the 1st sign of trouble at dealer.

#2 is hard for tuner to do since how do you know the limit of the engine; even if they know the limit, at the end of the day tuner wants to sell more mods (producing less HP just not going to cut it).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Personally, from a reliable tune standpoint, I'd go no more aggressive than what Dinan is running. Think about it: if something goes wrong due to their tune, they're on the loss. If you were them, would you want to be running max boost or would you rather find a happy medium? I'd take the latter. It's all about sound risk management while remaining marketable. After all, if they're not willing to stick their neck out that far, why should I?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Hi,

Cheers,
Eugen

Amen!
Appreciate 0