THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Light Coloured 2er's - How to get rid of Rail Dust spots?

04-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Mobil
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i - Alpine White

Light Coloured 2er's - How to get rid of Rail Dust spots?

Hey Fellow light-coloured 2er's,

Anyone have a good way of reducing the number of rail dust spots on your cars?...

I've heard of IronX, but since our cars are fairly new I dont want to use strong chemicals yet unless I have to...and up here in Canada, its harder to come by and its pricier I think $40-50 per bottle...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #2
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobil View Post
Hey Fellow light-coloured 2er's,

Anyone have a good way of reducing the number of rail dust spots on your cars?...

I've heard of IronX, but since our cars are fairly new I dont want to use strong chemicals yet unless I have to...and up here in Canada, its harder to come by and its pricier I think $40-50 per bottle...
Griot's Garage claims their paint cleaning clay will take care of this.I have no experience with rail dust but I have used clay bars and they work as advertised. Buy a clay bar ,should be $20 or less, and some lubricant and go for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i

I use Optimum Ferrex because it smells a lot better than CarPro IronX but my car is Opticoated so I'm not worry about using some stronger chemicals.
But as suggested above, clay bar works great also. It's only more time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Try a clay towel. Same results in far less time.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

After going through the winter months with a total of three or four washings my mineral white has tar and tiny orange yellow spots and my lower side panels were like brail and my top horizontal panels were extremely smooth.
I'm trying different methods before resorting to clay. Now that I'm washing once a week, BMW Tar Remover, cleaner wax and carnuba wax the paint is gradually getting better each consecutive week. Also I'm hoping warmer temps in the upcoming weeks will soften the tar and continuing tar remover and cleaner wax will get me to perfection.
If by July I can still feel and see spots then I'll decided whether to clay.

As for the Tar Remover, I spray it on before I ever hit the paint with the hose to rinse before washing. I let the Tar Remover work and hose then sponge it of with soap before I do my dediicated wash. And it seems to loosen or weaken the contamination that by the time I'm ready to wax the spots start to disappear.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
After going through the winter months with a total of three or four washings my mineral white has tar and tiny orange yellow spots and my lower side panels were like brail and my top horizontal panels were extremely smooth.
I'm trying different methods before resorting to clay. Now that I'm washing once a week, BMW Tar Remover, cleaner wax and carnuba wax the paint is gradually getting better each consecutive week. Also I'm hoping warmer temps in the upcoming weeks will soften the tar and continuing tar remover and cleaner wax will get me to perfection.
If by July I can still feel and see spots then I'll decided whether to clay.

As for the Tar Remover, I spray it on before I ever hit the paint with the hose to rinse before washing. I let the Tar Remover work and hose then sponge it of with soap before I do my dediicated wash. And it seems to loosen or weaken the contamination that by the time I'm ready to wax the spots start to disappear.
Um, you've put more effort into it than you would have if you just clayed the car. I use a clay towel and chemical guys clay luber. It's a breeze. I can clay my car in less time than it takes me to wax it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Um, you've put more effort into it than you would have if you just clayed the car. I use a clay towel and chemical guys clay luber. It's a breeze. I can clay my car in less time than it takes me to wax it.
Yeah, your right.
But I'm scared of scratches on these German paints.
Which clay are you using?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #8
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Yeah, your right.
If you wash the car and use lubricant, you won't scratch the paint. I use a Griot's clay bar and have not put any scratches in paint.Just don't use clay that's been contaminated ie dropped on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Yeah, your right.
I use a clay towel that I bought off of Amazon.

ABN Clay Bar Mitt Fine Grade Towel Mitt Detailing Clay Bar Cloth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1OBG8Q..._c.sjxbMYK5F21

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Mobil
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i - Alpine White

Update: I ended up buying a spray bottle of Sonax Fallout Remover (essentially the same as IronX) and the stuff worked like a charm...

Its basically like Light-version of a Wheel Cleaner whereby it turns the metal contaminant purple (almost immediately), and it very easily rinses off...Was able to get 90% of the rust spots off...

Protected the car with 2 coats of P21S afterwards...I'm a happy camper now
Appreciate 0