BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Track Wrap

04-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Track Wrap

Picking up the car in a few weeks in SC, 600+ mile ride home.

Looking to protect the front end before XPEL is applied.
Has anyone used Track Wrap or similar product for temporary protection?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post

I just traveled 1500+ miles in the car after delivery.

I picked up some of that Con-Tact Clear Liner - http://www.target.com/p/con-tact-bra...0/-/A-11172260

I would NOT recommend this stuff. It was a pain in the ass the cut and form to the front bumper. I put some on the hood and it flew off while driving. It left a lot of residue too.

I ended up stopping at a Lowes and picking up some 3M painters tape. I've used this multiple times on cars in the past it. It works well, easy to apply, and doesn't leave (much) residue. Save yourself some money as this stuff is only like $7 a roll.

Here's a picture for reference. Excuse the quality but you can see the hood has the painters tape on it because the clear liner flew off. I also applied some to the front bumper in places that the clear liner didn't stay.

In hindsight I would have just done the entire front/hood/mirrors/front fenders in the 3M painters tape.
Attached Images

Last edited by AlexCirci; 04-20-2016 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
saint3448
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Sunset Orange M2C

One word. Road warrior. Wait that's two words.

Get it, it works and is super easy to remove.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

I got this stuff off amazon for 30$ called Road Wrap. wrapped the whole front end in about 30 mins. It held up decently for a couple days until I dropped the car off for XPEL at a facility 200ish miles away.

It comes off easily too, stretchable, no residue left. get a felt tipped bondo applicator thingy as well
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
OMG. Just drive the darn car.

I put the clear film on my C32 custom fit on the entire front, rockers, under the bumper behind the tires, etc. and not going to bother doing that again.

I may put some on the headlights, rear quarters when the factor stuff gives out (if it does) and maybe under the bumper behind the tires but that's it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirc View Post
I just traveled 1500+ miles in the car after delivery.

I picked up some of that Con-Tact Clear Liner - http://www.target.com/p/con-tact-bra...0/-/A-11172260

I would NOT recommend this stuff. It was a pain in the ass the cut and form to the front bumper. I put some on the hood and it flew off while driving. It left a lot of residue too.

I ended up stopping at a Lowes and picking up some 3M painters tape. I've used this multiple times on cars in the past it. It works well, easy to apply, and doesn't leave (much) residue. Save yourself some money as this stuff is only like $7 a roll.

Here's a picture for reference. Excuse the quality but you can see the hood has the painters tape on it because the clear liner flew off. I also applied some to the front bumper in places that the clear liner didn't stay.

In hindsight I would have just done the entire front/hood/mirrors/front fenders in the 3M painters tape.
Aww man, that does suck about the contact wrap. It was definitely not easy to put on in terms of contouring the crevasses of the bumper etc, but I also only had a 40 mile drive and I applied it quickly with the help of 2 other people, so it'll definitely hold up on shorter trips. I didn't have a ton of time and painter's tape would have taken probably twice as long as the contact paper, but wasn't necessary for the trip I was making. Hopefully everything worked out in the end though...

Edit: Surprised about the residue though. I know you had a rough trip home due to rain and such, but I read other people have had no problems with residue (I didn't have any either).

Last edited by MTHRAR; 04-20-2016 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 11:14 PM   #7
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
Aww man, that does suck about the contact wrap. It was definitely not easy to put on in terms of contouring the crevasses of the bumper etc, but I also only had a 40 mile drive and I applied it quickly with the help of 2 other people, so it'll definitely hold up on shorter trips. I didn't have a ton of time and painter's tape would have taken probably twice as long as the contact paper, but wasn't necessary for the trip I was making. Hopefully everything worked out in the end though...

Edit: Surprised about the residue though. I know you had a rough trip home due to rain and such, but I read other people have had no problems with residue (I didn't have any either).
Yeah I'm sure the weather had something to do with it. The rain, the heat, and the amount of time it was left on the car were probably key factors to the residue left behind.

Made it home with no rock chips so in the end I'm a happy camper.
      04-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #8
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Look under your bumper behind the wheel bet it's peppered
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1

I used traktape. Great stuff! Takes time to install but stays on. Fellow 1Mers used it in euro delivery for up to two weeks
Appreciate 0