BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Buy the M2 don't lease it

04-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
WWFit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Buy the M2 don't lease it

I just leased the 2016 M3 $76,500 msrp for $0 drive off $900/month. They wanted almost the same for an M2 $60k msrp

I'm a lease guy because of write off reasons for business. If you're going to buy this car then disregard this post.

I went into my dealership looking to get an M2 allocation, and started crunching numbers with them. I found that once you get the options you want on the M2 the lease price isn't much different than an M3! This is why:

1. Unknown residual value.
- lease equations are a big calculation and the residual value of the car is a big impact on the price per month you'll be spending.
2. It's the first year of its production
- The first year of a new production car is basically a test to see how it will do, and the manufacture wants to make sure and not lose its ass if the car isn't a big hit, so they buffer the residual value of the car in their favor. This makes the lease price go up exceptionally.

I did my cross analysis as to what the M3 had I liked/disliked and what the M2 had I liked/disliked. I decided for almost the same lease price I'm going with the M3.

I wanted the m2 because of price point. I felt it would put me in a $700-$750/month range. I would have gone straight to the M3 without hesitation if I knew they would have given me a deal like I got! But I figured it was way out of my price range. Come to find they're a lot more reasonable than I thought!

I love my M3 and can't get enough of it! Again this is a post for anyone looking to lease an M2, if you're going to buy one then my argument doesn't work. It's still $15k msrp less than an M3. Just giving my two cents about leasing. This is my 5th BMW lease. I love their cars and will continue to get them!

Instagram: whiteknightm3
Attached Images

04-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I'm surprised they need a whole year to determine if the car will be a big hit.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:06 AM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I totally agree with the OP. The issue of low residual values is not exclusive to BMW's new models but is consistent with pretty much all new models regardless of manufacture. No manufacture wants to be caught off guard and be left holding the bag in 3 years. Also leasing is a good tool for them to move inventory, if the inventory is already moving why would they want to take the risk ? I follow the industry closely and there have been several articles written about manufactures becoming nervous that they are leasing too many cars and they worry that when those cars are returned they will flood the market and lower the actual values leaving the manufacture with a bunch of off lease cars sitting on their lots that they will be forced to discount or have to provide incentives to move them. Most articles predict manufactures beginning to lower residual values to protect themselves so I won't be surprised to see leasing become a little less attractive for even well established cars.

I have decided to go with the BMW Select, I am cool with taking the depreciation risk and like the option of a lower payment for a couple of years. My car will get driven 8k per year so I think I will be pretty safe.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
mmmmmazing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: In my hands!

Porsche is the same way when it comes to residuals on new models.

Very low to protect themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Makes sense and not very surprising. Probably further aggravated by the fact that there is only a (relative) handful of cars being made available.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
konoyei
Rep
Drives: M2

I have seen other posts regarding to this and usually turns into a fight between the two camps.

I am not here to pick a fight since I actually need to make the decision in the coming months, I am just here to try to check my numbers.

So based on my calculation using the lease rate and residual posted for March, I don't see much saving between "buying the car then sell it after 3 years" or a 3 year lease provided the following:
  • best auto loan rate I could find now is 1.99% for 66 month
  • No money down for both cases
  • M2 is the only car I am looking to drive next

I understand the residual value sucks but I could always sell the car at lease end and pocket the difference between what's worth at that time and the buy off price. (Just did it on my 981S)

So am I missing something on my calculation?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyei
I have seen other posts regarding to this and usually turns into a fight between the two camps.

I am not here to pick a fight since I actually need to make the decision in the coming months, I am just here to try to check my numbers.

So based on my calculation using the lease rate and residual posted for March, I don't see much saving between "buying the car then sell it after 3 years" or a 3 year lease provided the following:

I understand the residual value sucks but I could always sell the car at lease end and pocket the difference between what's worth at that time and the buy off price. (Just did it on my 981S)

Or you could do a balloon loan, drop the payment $200-300/month and hope the value of the car equals the balloon payment. In this case, I think if production really is low/limited quantities then the car will hold its value. We won't know until allocations start coming through and/or the plant actually starts moving these cars quicker.

Penfeds 36 month balloon loan is at 1.74% which brings the payment down to $550-600 depending on the way the car is optioned. I think the car will be worth the $38-40k residual (balloon) in three years. Every other M seems to have kept a good portion of its value. Why wouldnt this?
      04-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #8
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyei View Post

there are likely additional fees with leasing.

You can not sell your lease unless you buy it. In my state, if you buy your lease, you are double taxed. So not necessarily a smart idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #9
konoyei
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
there are likely additional fees with leasing.

You can not sell your lease unless you buy it. In my state, if you buy your lease, you are double taxed. So not necessarily a smart idea.
You are right, there could be fees that I am not aware of then...

For selling the car, it is indeed state specified. In some state, I was told you don't need to pay tax if you buy and sell the same car within 10 days. In CA, I sold mine directly back to the original dealership and since they have a wholesale license, I don't get taxed since I don't need to register the car under my name at all.

I am guessing it also depends on BMW finance then, since I was told Audi Finance have a different (higher) buy off price when you sell it to the dealership but luckily Porsche Finance does not.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #10
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

I checked with penfed and they will not balloon the M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
Or you could do a balloon loan, drop
the payment $200-300/month and hope the value of the car equals the balloon payment. In this case, I think if production really is low/limited quantities then the car will hold its value. We won't know until allocations start coming through and/or the plant actually starts moving these cars quicker.

Penfeds 36 month balloon loan is at 1.74% which brings the payment down to $550-600 depending on the way the car is optioned. I think the car will be worth the $38-40k residual (balloon) in three years. Every other M seems to have kept a good portion of its value. Why wouldnt this?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #11
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcut1
I checked with penfed and they will not balloon the M2

Quote:
Or you could do a balloon loan, drop
the payment $200-300/month and hope the value of the car equals the balloon payment. In this case, I think if production really is low/limited quantities then the car will hold its value. We won't know until allocations start coming through and/or the plant actually starts moving these cars quicker.

Complete lie. I did it.
      04-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

Quote:
Complete lie. I did it.
Can you please provide your contact information at penfed asap!!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyei

There is big upside potentially for ownership if the car continued to be produced in small quantities

As It is now the M2 is returning to BMW the accolades of what the M3 originally was in E30 , E36 and E46 guise. The 1M of course holds its value Better than the E90 and I think one should fully anticipate that the M2 will hold its value better than the M4 will because it will be available in much smaller numbers.

I would go with BMW select if you can manage a good payment or 66 months with the low apr.

If you lease this car on a closed end lease and you could actually end up hating yourself unless it's a business write off.

It's also painfully obvious from the residuals on the 1M and the M2 that BMW NA wants people to buy this car, not lease
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #14
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyei View Post

What you say is true but most people want to save their money right away during the lease, for example if you get in any accident it'll affect your resale value.

I'm in a similar position to the one you are describing, once the lease draws to a close on my M4 I plan on selling it since I was an early adopter and inherited a low residual value
      08-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #15
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWFit View Post
I just leased the 2016 M3 $76,500 msrp for $0 drive off $900/month. They wanted almost the same for an M2 $60k msrp

I'm a lease guy because of write off reasons for business. If you're going to buy this car then disregard this post.

I went into my dealership looking to get an M2 allocation, and started crunching numbers with them. I found that once you get the options you want on the M2 the lease price isn't much different than an M3! This is why:

1. Unknown residual value.
- lease equations are a big calculation and the residual value of the car is a big impact on the price per month you'll be spending.
2. It's the first year of its production
- The first year of a new production car is basically a test to see how it will do, and the manufacture wants to make sure and not lose its ass if the car isn't a big hit, so they buffer the residual value of the car in their favor. This makes the lease price go up exceptionally.

I did my cross analysis as to what the M3 had I liked/disliked and what the M2 had I liked/disliked. I decided for almost the same lease price I'm going with the M3.

I wanted the m2 because of price point. I felt it would put me in a $700-$750/month range. I would have gone straight to the M3 without hesitation if I knew they would have given me a deal like I got! But I figured it was way out of my price range. Come to find they're a lot more reasonable than I thought!

I love my M3 and can't get enough of it! Again this is a post for anyone looking to lease an M2, if you're going to buy one then my argument doesn't work. It's still $15k msrp less than an M3. Just giving my two cents about leasing. This is my 5th BMW lease. I love their cars and will continue to get them!

Instagram: whiteknightm3
good thing u went and got the M3, lease rates for the M2 is out and they are not pretty, the monthly will be probably above what you are currently paying for the M3

2016 models
mf .00137
36mo
15k 46%
12k 48%
10k 49%

no incentives
finance 24-72mo 2.97%

2017 models
mf .00137
36mo
15k 44%
12k 46%
10k 47%
no incentives
finance 24-72mo 2.97%
      08-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

47% residual for 10k mi/yr? Is that for real? Are they insane? Should be 57%.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

So let's do the math: according to this, after 3 years, the car with a 10k miles/year will be worth 47% of its original value
52k*47%= $24.44K

basically, that's what they are saying the M2 with 30k miles will be worth.

In other words, they're saying: don't lease, buy it.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #18
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
So let's do the math: according to this, after 3 years, the car with a 10k miles/year will be worth 47% of its original value
52k*47%= $24.44K

basically, that's what they are saying the M2 with 30k miles will be worth.

In other words, they're saying: don't lease, buy it.
looool what is this a mustang ecoboost?
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #19
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
looool what is this a mustang ecoboost?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #20
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Did ED with the F80, AW, leather, 19's, HK, in 6MT was 58k.
I see all the time how people have 80k M-cars, I just don't see how w/o competition pack and ceramics?

A low option M3 with 4 doors and a stick can be a great buy/lease.
Appreciate 0