THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions DIY M performance alcantara armrest

04-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
JL1002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

DIY M performance alcantara armrest

Just finished installing this and it really wasn't difficult. If I can do it, anyone can do it. I tried to take some decent pictures and will do my best to explain.

Tools:
Pry tool
Needle nose pliers

1) Put your seats all the way forward to create some space
2) Using the pry tool, pop out the rear vent - I started from the sides. As with all interior pieces, it's just held in with a series of clips and will pop right out.

3) Disconnect the vent to get it out of the way. Use something pointy to push the little clip down, then pull to disconnect

4) Next use the pry tool and remove the piece that houses the air vents on the center console. I started on the top corner and worked my down, then did the same on the other side. It took some wiggling to get every clip off.

5) Disconnect the power source so you can get that piece out of your way. No clips, just pull it apart. Now you're going to be looking at this...

6) Use the needle nose pliers and remove the rod inside the spring. I pushed from the inside out - use some force. They're textured and click in/out. I then grabbed the exposed end and pulled it out. Repeat on the other side.

7) Now that the rods are removed, take the spring out. I opened the console and it popped out. Not entirely sure how I got it out, but with the rods removed there's nothing holding the armrest in, so just open it and wiggle it out.

8) You should now have the spring, rods, and armrest removed. Take the new armrest and drop it in. I got it in by going in vertically, as if the armrest was open - the hooked end will rotate in.

Now insert the spring as shown. The coiled portion of the spring should be away from you, not poking out towards you. Hook on the upper and lower portions of the spring on each side.

9) Now make sure the armrest is lined up and slide the rods back in. Do not slide them all the way in - only slide them up to the spring (the red lines). This is just to hold the armrest in place while you push the center (horizontal part of the spring - green arrow) back into the housing. I used needle nose pliers and just pushed it in till it clicked. The coiled portion of the spring will bend back into the housing as you do this - if you have the little rods too far in you won't be able to push the horizontal part back into place, as the springs won't contort and give you the play you need to push that horizontal part back in.

10) Open the armrest and the coiled portions on the spring will align with the rods, then simply push the rods all the way back in.

11) Close the armrest and you're finished!!! ...after you reconnect the power source, press the center console piece back in, reconnect the vent, and snap the vent back in.... now you're done.

Last edited by JL1002; 04-12-2016 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 2