E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Does this sounds like trouble? (clicking/ticking noise)

03-09-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
remydlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N55 MT/blue metal/red int.

Question Does this sounds like trouble? (clicking/ticking noise)

After all these things going on with the wastegate, I finally decided to record the noise coming from my engine. My new engine has less than 2k miles, thus I have had the car for 12k miles. I was really getting tire of this noise, and now I am worry about it after reading about these problems.

This noise happens all the time, at any RPM, at any speed. The higher the revs, the faster the ticking/clicking. My friend mentioned it sounds like a wastegate problem (he is an experienced retired mechanic, and a great car fanatic). I let my SA know about it, he said is normal and that BMW is working on a fix. V2 is my only mod.

I have uploaded the videos to photobucket. I have also created a zip file, which is shared through my 'raw' website: "http://bashit.net/car_noise.zip". You can also download them @ the root of my website: "bashit.net" the individual video files.

In case you can't get the vid built-in to the thread:

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...rent=00020.flv
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...ent=inside.flv
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...rent=00023.flv
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...rent=00022.flv
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...rent=00021.flv
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...rent=00019.flv

TIA for your help.

Last edited by remydlc; 03-09-2008 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: sorry, i couldn't get the media built in to the thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

I think someone swapped out your engine for a diesel.

It sounds bad... I think Walked U (Sharewin) had a similar issue, resolved by replacing spark plugs. I don't know what a failed wastegate sounds like since I've never heard it...
      03-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thats bad, it sounds like a collapsing lifter...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #4
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep

...possibly bent valve? Could the engine have gotten overrevved by a mis-sshift?
      03-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
...possibly bent valve? Could the engine have gotten overrevved by a mis-sshift?
It has a rev limiter, you can rev past a certain point so i dont think thats it but a bent valve could also be the culprit... Either way its something internal and can be many things even a shot rod bearing but its a bad sound for sure and its not the wastegate...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

I think the dealership will probably say that it is normal. I have heard it on my car and several others. I think you will find you can easily hear it by the driver's side wheel well area. I'm wondering if it might even by the HPFP or something. If it was a rod bearing, it would be even louder under load, when you put it in gear, etc. When you open the hood, its pretty normal to hear all the clatter of the injectors too. I can't imagine how loud it would be with out all the insulating panels/covers in place.
What I am wondering is how many people with a tune hear a lot more turbo whine especially under light load, colder conditions? I mean it sounds cool, but it stands out enough the people outside can hear it when you drive by.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

that sounds like a bent valve...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
remydlc
Captain
United_States
Rep

you can even hear it from distance. note that this noise was there before I installed V2. That was the reason why i asked my SA because I didnt want to install it, then have to remove it for a dealer visit.
      03-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
remydlc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think someone swapped out your engine for a diesel.

It sounds bad... I think Walked U (Sharewin) had a similar issue, resolved by replacing spark plugs. I don't know what a failed wastegate sounds like since I've never heard it...
Man, it doesnt even sound like a BMW anymore, sounds like a truck
      03-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
evorobert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

what is it with all these wastegate "issue" threads

is it causing problems? limp modes, CELs???? i don't see any so what's the issue?

bmw owners are so paranoid especially first time turbo owners
      03-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evorobert View Post

is it causing problems? limp modes, CELs???? i don't see any so what's the issue?

you dont need to be throwing cels to have an issue. My hpfp went at about 3k miles and it started withook longer than normal to turn over. Eventually arted that ta few st it came to a point where it took 5 secs to start. Still no codes.

As for the wastegate i have the same problem. At first i thought it was my dps or exhaust because he noise is very faint. I brouoght to the dealer and they told me the wastegate is failing and cooking. Still no codes or cels. Also with the v2 procee the only thing ive noticed is a slight boost drop from 15psi down to 13-14psi and goes back up, Also a symptom of a wastgate problem. Just becuase no cels or codes are thrown doesnt mean there isnt a problem. This is a new turbo car to bmw, theres gonna be problem, and there wont be a code or cel evertyime there is a problem. You have to be careful with these cars especially with tuning. You dont want to end up being stuck with a huge bill fixing turbos or engines. So i suggest everyone from now on take the chips out regardless what your going to the dealership for. They are looking for these tunes and are looking to void warranties. why would they want to spend 8k for fixing your turbos, even though its probably their shitty part. lata
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
remydlc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evorobert View Post

There is noise coming from my engine bay that WAS NOT there before. Do you call that paranoia? How will you feel about your car sounding like a truck? There must be something wrong with my car.

I asked someone in the forum about 2 months AGO even before few people had problem with their wastegate. I am just being proactive, and trying to learn about the issue. I dont wanna be the one calling BMW Roadside Asst. in the middle of the night with mods on.
      03-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramano View Post
you dont need to be throwing cels to have an issue. My hpfp went at about 3k miles and it started withook longer than normal to turn over. Eventually arted that ta few st it came to a point where it took 5 secs to start. Still no codes.

As for the wastegate i have the same problem. At first i thought it was my dps or exhaust because he noise is very faint. I brouoght to the dealer and they told me the wastegate is failing and cooking. Still no codes or cels. Also with the v2 procee the only thing ive noticed is a slight boost drop from 15psi down to 13-14psi and goes back up, Also a symptom of a wastgate problem. Just becuase no cels or codes are thrown doesnt mean there isnt a problem. This is a new turbo car to bmw, theres gonna be problem, and there wont be a code or cel evertyime there is a problem. You have to be careful with these cars especially with tuning. You dont want to end up being stuck with a huge bill fixing turbos or engines. So i suggest everyone from now on take the chips out regardless what your going to the dealership for. They are looking for these tunes and are looking to void warranties. why would they want to spend 8k for fixing your turbos, even though its probably their shitty part. lata
Have you tried using a boost gauge and seeing if boost goes up and down like it does with your procede when the car is running bypass plugs? If not, try it. My car did this with the procede also boost goes up and down, who knows why, procede boost control isnt stable? It was fine and not fluctuating when the car was stock...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
remydlc
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am waiting for Rixt3r's gauge. Anyway, the noise was there before V2 got into my car.
      03-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #15
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
Have you tried using a boost gauge and seeing if boost goes up and down like it does with your procede when the car is running bypass plugs? If not, try it. My car did this with the procede also boost goes up and down, who knows why, procede boost control isnt stable? It was fine and not fluctuating when the car was stock...
My car stock and procede used to have very stable boost. Stock it ramped to 8 psi quicly and slowly tapered to 6psi to redline. With the AA xede it ramped to over 14psi very quickly, like v1 im assuming and slowly tapered to 10-12 psi. Now with the v2 with this wasstegate problem the boost slowly increases to 14-15psi then comes down to 13psi and goes back up towards redline. Same with going back to stock. I removed te procede entirrly today to take the car to the dealer tomrrow. The same thing happens now where it ramps up to 8 psi and comes down to about 6psi and ramps back up to 8 psi by 4000rpms then back down to 6psi to redline. Feels like the wastegate is not closing entirely and boost is leaking and the ecu is making up for it by increasing the boost again. i dunno il find out what thedealer says this week, il keep everyone updated.
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
sounds different from mine for sure! It could be your wastegate/turbo but i doubt it. Something else is wrong i think
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
It has a rev limiter, you can rev past a certain point so i dont think thats it but a bent valve could also be the culprit... Either way its something internal and can be many things even a shot rod bearing but its a bad sound for sure and its not the wastegate...
I heard you can do a money-shift (accidentally downshift instead of upshift) and cause the engine to over-rev.
      03-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
335xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
I heard you can do a money-shift (accidentally downshift instead of upshift) and cause the engine to over-rev.
Technically the car will cut fuel if it is overrevved, with the goal of limiting revs. However, as noted above the money shift is an accidental shift down a gear or three that results in a mechanical overrev. In this situation fuel is cut, but it is of no help as the speed the car is moving will dictate what RPM the motor goes to.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #19
mrwma237
Polytech Trooper
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440i Gran Coupe

What causes a bent valve? It was mentioned 3 different times in this thread.
      03-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #20
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

This is what your engine is supposed to sound like.

03-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #21
Max@Logic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E55 AMG

Bent valves usually don't make any noises like that. If anything the car will have trouble idling, and or sound like it has a radical cam. (depending on the severity and how many valves bent) It's still hard to determine, It sounds more like excessive valve train noise. Take it into the dealer and let us know what happens.

Best Regards,
Max-
      03-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #22
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwma237 View Post
What causes a bent valve? It was mentioned 3 different times in this thread.
Car revving too high for the springs and having contact between the piston and a floating valve. You really have to do a number on it though to get it to happen, simply revving to 7500 or 8k probably wont do it.