E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Any one here pre-ordered a Tesla Model 3?

04-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Any one here pre-ordered a Tesla Model 3?

The Tesla Model 3 order books opened last weekend, apparently 280K pre-orders have gone in a little over 72hrs!!

Anyone here pre-ordered ??

I haven't purely because I cannot wait till 2018/19, I'll be swapping the Leaf for a Model S x-mas this year.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

I wouldn't mind one as a second car, I don't think I could give up the experience of a petrol car. But that front end though I get it not needing a grill but just deleting the grill but leaving the outline looks hideous. There's no reason they can't continue those sculpted lines all the way around unless Porsche have some design copyright or something.

I would be intrigued as to the on the road price in the UK. No doubt it will be around £35K. I would struggle to not pick a used E92 M3 over it heh.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

I've not really been interested in Tesla's (or any electric cars for that matter) but I think the Tesla 3 with that mileage range is definitely very interesting. Certainty got me thinking!

Looking forward to seeing your Tesla Model S this year gangzoom!

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:23 AM   #4
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

Gang, the Model S is an amazing car! I'm re-thinking the electric car route now and particularly the Model 3 but like you, 2018/19 seems so far away. Who knows what other electric/hybrid/other cars may come out between now and then.

I went to the gadget show at the NEC on Sunday 3rd April and I had a 1/2 hour test drive booked in a P85D Model S. I was absolutely mind blown by the performance (and that was with a full car). The salesman, Imran, was awesome and let me push the car as much as I wanted including around bends (car was limited to 80mph) .

The amount of grip was insane, it's all wheel drive but the mechanical grip was unbelievable under full throttle. It practically drives itself on the motorway too with adaptive cruise and stay in lane technology.

Not only that, I loved how the door handles pop out when the car is unlocked, the key being a mini gloss black Tesla and how you don't switch the engine off but simply walk away. It's such a clever car. They had some 7 seater models too as you basically have boot space in the front and back. You're in for a real treat to own one to use every day.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #5
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

^^ They are good aren't they, hence when I did the sums and realised I could get into one by the end of 2016, I had no hesitation in selling the 335i.

The S is still very pricey though, I've set the upper limit of my budget to *just* £60K. Which should be enough to see me into a 18 months old RWD P85 but no autopilot hardware, or a newer (12 months old) S85 which will be slower (370bhp versus 410bhp) but have autopilot hardware.

Either way it's not a bad choice to be faced with, I cannot wait
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:11 AM   #6
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
^^ They are good aren't they, hence when I did the sums and realised I could get into one by the end of 2016, I had no hesitation in selling the 335i.

The S is still very pricey though, I've set the upper limit of my budget to *just* £60K. Which should be enough to see me into a 18 months old RWD P85 but no autopilot hardware, or a newer (12 months old) S85 which will be slower (370bhp versus 410bhp) but have autopilot hardware.

Either way it's not a bad choice to be faced with, I cannot wait
I didn't realise they came in RWD, I assumed they were all AWD.

I was lucky enough to test drive something like this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...07LJ&logcode=p

but £90k is big money. Equivalent of almost 700bhp? Certainly below 80mph I would say that sounds about right.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 02:13 AM   #7
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I would recommend you try the AWD and rethink it. It's drastically better grip wise. I can't say enough how much more drivable AWD is on these things.

The demand is so high I don't think anyone ordering now will see theirs until the end of 18. Maybe even early 19.

Just looked, a 70d with autopilot and leather is 62,900.

Although apparently another price rise is coming. That might be the third since I paid for mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
I would recommend you try the AWD and rethink it. It's drastically better grip wise. I can't say enough how much more drivable AWD is on these things.
Thanks. I'm going to make sure I try every variant before I finally decide what to order. Got some work deadlines just before X-mas, and a new arrival to family any day now...So hopefully those things will keep me distracted long enough.

The T-fund is currently in x3 Santander 1-2-3 accounts, the Leaf goes back in March 2017 - I cannot wait another 12 months so have already cleared the garage to keep the Leaf SORN till they pick it up. But the longer I can delay ordering a S, the more interest I'll get from Santander, and the more used price will fall.....Trying to be sensible for once when it comes to spending £££ and cars
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #9
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Quote:
Thanks. I'm going to make sure I try every variant before I finally decide what to order. Got some work deadlines just before X-mas, and a new arrival to family any day now...So hopefully those things will keep me distracted long enough.

The T-fund is currently in x3 Santander 1-2-3 accounts, the Leaf goes back in March 2017 - I cannot wait another 12 months so have already cleared the garage to keep the Leaf SORN till they pick it up. But the longer I can delay ordering a S, the more interest I'll get from Santander, and the more used price will fall.....Trying to be sensible for once when it comes to spending £££ and cars
Congrats on your imminent new arrival!

Used prices are looking pretty reasonable actually as i looked on AT this morning. I think there will be a lot more used AWD to choose from when you are ready. I admit that i did have a RWD loan vehicle once and in the summer/bone dry you get that exciting movement. But like with all RWD drive, its pretty dicey any other conditions. I joined a motorway which had a very long winding and sharp (20mph recommended) slip road bend, the rear went from me. I drive that slip in my P85D loads of times and i hammer the power much earlier normally, i actually was late on the power and it slipped away. AWD is simply a beast in the wet and i quite easily outdrove a lovely 996 c4s recently, in the corners which surprised me a lot actually.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Here is my shoe. I am getting ready to throw it into your electric machine. Petrol forever!!!

Only joking.

Should be very interesting. Wish I could retrofit electric motors to my 335i
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Can I borrow that shoe? I guess with gas prices so high in Europe this is economically a viable option. For the states it's a misguided tree hugger, wanna go fast 0-60, or latest gadget appeal. Better buy 2. Their models to date are as reliable as 1980s jaguars.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Can I borrow that shoe? I guess with gas prices so high in Europe this is economically a viable option. For the states it's a misguided tree hugger, wanna go fast 0-60, or latest gadget appeal. Better buy 2. Their models to date are as reliable as 1980s jaguars.
It's a Sabot

But yes our gas prices are sky high!
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

$1.85 a gallon here at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #14
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
$1.85 a gallon here at the moment.
Yes I was there in December. It feels so unreal filling a car for $25 or something like that.

Our 93 octane is about £5.87 a US gallon here right now. Way cheaper than it was 12 months before. It was about $7.50.

I think the US needs to convert all that fracked gas to methanol and run that as a flex fuel.

Better yet use Geothermal or similar to convert air CO2 to methanol so there's a balanced cycle.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

E85 is 20 cents a gallon cheaper. It's corn. What we need to do is get a new president. He locked up 1/3 of the world's oil reserves by closing off federal lands which is why worldwide prices went up. His reaaon was he wanted high gas prices to get people into hybrids and electrics. It backfired. Now fracking is viable and oil is back where we started. And now if we open those lands up, look for oil to drop considerably and long term and the US to be a big net exporter, especially to Europe.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #16
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
His reaaon was he wanted high gas prices to get people into hybrids and electrics
I think your find my interest in a Tesla/EVs has nothing to do with fuel prices or environmental concerns. The simple fact is the electric motor is so much better than the combustion engine at providing motion, now that battery tech is nearly at an affordable level if you have any interest in performance cars EVs such as the Tesla becomes the default choice.

I put all the mods you could want on my old 335i, LSD, remap, better dampers, uprated oil cooler....In honestly having now got use to an EV (even a slow one such as the Leaf), I personally don't want to waste a single extra £ on any combustion car ever again. I also cannot remember the last time I hugged a tree :P
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #17
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
E85 is 20 cents a gallon cheaper. It's corn. What we need to do is get a new president. He locked up 1/3 of the world's oil reserves by closing off federal lands which is why worldwide prices went up. His reaaon was he wanted high gas prices to get people into hybrids and electrics. It backfired. Now fracking is viable and oil is back where we started. And now if we open those lands up, look for oil to drop considerably and long term and the US to be a big net exporter, especially to Europe.
I see you are in Florida. I was in Pensacola.

I like Obama which will make a lot of American's dislike me I can't understand how a democracy can let sick people suffer and die because of being less well off. The UK is at the opposite end of the spectrum where we are often to helpful and people take advantage. Housing, education, healthcare. Help yourself, it's on us!

I'd absolutely hate to see Clinton win. With her history I don't know how she can live with herself. Can't morally agree with Trump which to me only leaves Sanders. But his chances seem very low.

The wealthy will always look after themselves. Why wouldn't they. It's not in their interest to help the disadvantaged unless it wins votes and then helps them in a round about way.

The Saudi's have been dumping oil on the markets to bankrupt the competition. Now sanctions are lifted on Iran there's potentially the world's second biggest producer also ready to pump oil.

America has done wonders with fracking. Britain is held over a barrel (forgive the pun ) when it comes to paying for gas and oil, especially in the winter months when it's really needed for heating.

Our issue here is that somehow the duty\tax on fuel is more than the cost of the fuel itself.

I can see electric being a big thing compared to the arcane internal combustion engine but you still have to produce that energy and store it in batteries. Improvements need to come. Methanol is near limitless to produce and very cost effective. It has very low environmental risks and it would save using up agricultural resources that could be better used to feed people, like ethanol does.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #18
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think your find my interest in a Tesla/EVs has nothing to do with fuel prices or environmental concerns. The simple fact is the electric motor is so much better than the combustion engine at providing motion, now that battery tech is nearly at an affordable level if you have any interest in performance cars EVs such as the Tesla becomes the default choice.

I put all the mods you could want on my old 335i, LSD, remap, better dampers, uprated oil cooler....In honestly having now got use to an EV (even a slow one such as the Leaf), I personally don't want to waste a single extra £ on any combustion car ever again. I also cannot remember the last time I hugged a tree :P
Exactly the same opinion as Lord Drayson and I can see where he's coming from in terms of performance. 4,000 nm of torque

I've always felt that all that energy going straight out of the exhaust can't be good.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #19
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Tesla never ever appealed to me for 2 reasons.

1) Price, like above i would seriously struggle to not pick an M car/AMG over the flag ship Model S

2) Aesthetics, i have seen plenty model S's on road & i personally think it looks very ordinary and is definitely very understated in my opinion.

When i read about the Model 3 a few days ago however, i must admit my mind set changed, 25-35K for a brand new car that will do 200miles between charges !?!?! Pretty darn impressed! Even if its not a Tesla i can see my self in a EV if the range & cost improves like the model 3.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #20
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:

It's just the launch. Highway speeds it's a relative dog.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #21
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
I see you are in Florida. I was in Pensacola.

I like Obama which will make a lot of American's dislike me I can't understand how a democracy can let sick people suffer and die because of being less well off. The UK is at the opposite end of the spectrum where we are often to helpful and people take advantage. Housing, education, healthcare. Help yourself, it's on us!

I'd absolutely hate to see Clinton win. With her history I don't know how she can live with herself. Can't morally agree with Trump which to me only leaves Sanders. But his chances seem very low.

The wealthy will always look after themselves. Why wouldn't they. It's not in their interest to help the disadvantaged unless it wins votes and then helps them in a round about way.

The Saudi's have been dumping oil on the markets to bankrupt the competition. Now sanctions are lifted on Iran there's potentially the world's second biggest producer also ready to pump oil.

America has done wonders with fracking. Britain is held over a barrel (forgive the pun ) when it comes to paying for gas and oil, especially in the winter months when it's really needed for heating.

Our issue here is that somehow the duty\tax on fuel is more than the cost of the fuel itself.

I can see electric being a big thing compared to the arcane internal combustion engine but you still have to produce that energy and store it in batteries. Improvements need to come. Methanol is near limitless to produce and very cost effective. It has very low environmental risks and it would save using up agricultural resources that could be better used to feed people, like ethanol does.
They never let the poor get sick and die before obamacare. That's a myth. Overall quality of care is down since it passed.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #22
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Yeah, they fixed them up and billed them to bankruptcy.
Appreciate 0