2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding question about bluetooth music streaming

04-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

question about bluetooth music streaming

I just started listening to Pandora through bluetooth and it works great and I like the sound quality. Previously I would mostly use my iPod with the USB cable.

I noticed that the iPhone battery runs down quickly when I'm streaming music, so I tried plugging in my phone to the USB port to charge it, and the Pandora music quit playing, and my music library on the phone began to play.

Is there a way to have the phone plugged in and charging thru the USB cable, and still listen to Pandora??

Any help would be appreciated, and please don't flame me for being so tech challenged
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I just started listening to Pandora through bluetooth and it works great and I like the sound quality. Previously I would mostly use my iPod with the USB cable.

I noticed that the iPhone battery runs down quickly when I'm streaming music, so I tried plugging in my phone to the USB port to charge it, and the Pandora music quit playing, and my music library on the phone began to play.

Is there a way to have the phone plugged in and charging thru the USB cable, and still listen to Pandora??

Any help would be appreciated, and please don't flame me for being so tech challenged
IIRC, under phone options you need to select audio. I have the snap-in adapter (it charges as well as streams; IMHO, well worth the $$$) and it's been a while since I used the cable. Using the adapter disables the cable...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

when i use blutooth my phone charges through the cigarette lighter plug in and yes, the audio quality is much better
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

Thanks for the reply. I got it working. Surfed around the menu and found the "apps". When I connected the cable and I opened Pandora on the phone, it loaded the app into the car. Even displays the album art on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
when i use blutooth my phone charges through the cigarette lighter plug in and yes, the audio quality is much better
I'm intrigued by the Bluetooth being superior in audio quality. In my totally unscientific study, USB streaming of my many Apple Music playlists sounds better than Bluetooth of the same songs, plus it keeps the phone charging.

Just my $.02.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbama85 View Post
I'm intrigued by the Bluetooth being superior in audio quality. In my totally unscientific study, USB streaming of my many Apple Music playlists sounds better than Bluetooth of the same songs, plus it keeps the phone charging.

Just my $.02.
here you go!
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dgOFPy5...d_quality.html
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Quote:
That actually confirms what I thought.....USB is the preferred method.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #8
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Thanks for the nice article, I use the USB for my ipod classic with good amount of storage, while the cradle is for my iphone to make sure is stay charged and uses external antenna for reception.
I need to re deploy my music on itune to a higher standard than the standard, I tend to always buy CD’s for my music.

Quote:
Appreciate 0