E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Mmmm..turbo BBQ

03-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Mmmm..turbo BBQ

So I brought the car in for the cylinder 3 misfire and they also pulled cylinder 1 misfire codes as well. They pulled out the sparkplugs and the bottom part looked like the car was running super rich and the top part looked like it was running super lean.

Guess what else my SA tells me? My front turbo is overheating to the extreme. He said when you open the hood you could almost get burned from just the fumes. The car isn't throwing any codes and runs just about normal when driven after the spark plugs had been replaced, but both my SA and the tech who drove the car @ different times after the spark plug replacement noticed the ar smells like it is burning. My SA wants to get me a new turbo but can't validate it with PUMA until a code is thrown and is trying to get the code to be thrown today and tomorrow so he can order a new turbo. Also, for an unknown reason, he tells me my car is dumping fuel onto cylinder 1 which is most likely the cause for the turbo overheating. He has no idea what is wrong as of this point and has no where to go without a code being thrown. He even said the car could work itself out and be running fine but recommended I leave the car for the weekend so that he can try and get the code to appear.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

damn man....another one! Goodluck, I hope it gets resolved for you w/ no problems.
      03-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
damn man....another one! Goodluck, I hope it gets resolved for you w/ no problems.
Not necessarily another one BLOWN. Not blown yet, and my wastegate sounded NOTHING like AU335's. Had that rattling noise (like the car warming up and maybe a little flutter noise on the 3K rev), but hopefully it was just the sparkplugs and my poor car can come home. The tech working on my car thought I had been running NOS on it he said the sparkplugs looked so bad.

But my SA does believe my front turbo is on its way out the door .
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

At least you have a great SA to work with..that's a big plus! Good luck, bro.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
At least you have a great SA to work with..that's a big plus! Good luck, bro.
Yea he's straight. Supercharged M3 with NOS, my car must be a civic to him lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Not necessarily another one BLOWN. Not blown yet, and my wastegate sounded NOTHING like AU335's. Had that rattling noise (like the car warming up and maybe a little flutter noise on the 3K rev), but hopefully it was just the sparkplugs and my poor car can come home. The tech working on my car thought I had been running NOS on it he said the sparkplugs looked so bad.

But my SA does believe my front turbo is on its way out the door .
Hmmm... looks like I might have to get under my car and check things out. The other night I heard a "flutter" sound when revving the car in neutral and the RPMs were dropping back down. To my ears it sounded like an exhaust leak, but I'll get under the car and check now to make sure.

At least its good to hear that you have a cool SA to work with. That's a pretty rare thing to find.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Hmmm... looks like I might have to get under my car and check things out. The other night I heard a "flutter" sound when revving the car in neutral and the RPMs were dropping back down. To my ears it sounded like an exhaust leak, but I'll get under the car and check now to make sure.

At least its good to hear that you have a cool SA to work with. That's a pretty rare thing to find.
It's weird in my car, hardly sounds like anything is wrong at all. The flutter is quieter than the exhaust rattle during start up(that, or my wastegate has a seizure when I press START).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh BTW, there is a TSB out on the turbos on the 335i, not by prod. date or anything, just a shitty part in general. So says my SA.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

BMW reliability... here we go...
      03-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post
BMW reliability... here we go...
Yep. I guess these cars are designed for the old folks, and then they would die just past warranty, where BMW could reel the sucker back in. I guess it's all marketing, shaft the consumer after warranty and he is bound to buy from us again. I guess BMW just made the links too weak to last longer than 5000 miles .
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

5000 miles:confused0 068::con fused0068:
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
5000 miles:confused0 068::con fused0068:
It started around 4800 miles to be precise .
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
It started around 4800 miles to be precise .

Good luck OP. I'm at 16k now with no problems (knock on wood). These failures are getting a bit too common.
      03-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Good luck OP. I'm at 16k now with no problems (knock on wood). These failures are getting a bit too common.
Yeah, too common, going to take it easy on the car. Less 0-1000000 for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Great more doomsday threads.

Not sure about your SA though talking about how "he can feel it under the hood" in reference to your turbo "cooking".
      03-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Great more doomsday threads.

Not sure about your SA though talking about how "he can feel it under the hood" in reference to your turbo "cooking".
Just stating what was said to me. I didn't take a doomsday approach, more of a 50 thou for what? attitude. He just says the car smells like it is burning when they drive it and noticed the car is dumping fuel into cylinder 1 and the turbo is overheating due to that. He says it is cooking though. Maybe he put the car on a lift after spirited driving? I don't know. I am just relaying what I am told.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Just stating what was said to me. I didn't take a doomsday approach, more of a 50 thou for what? attitude. He just says the car smells like it is burning when they drive it and noticed the car is dumping fuel into cylinder 1 and the turbo is overheating due to that. He says it is cooking though. Maybe he put the car on a lift after spirited driving? I don't know. I am just relaying what I am told.
Yea wasn't accusing you of anything, just saying your SA if giving you some sketchy info.
      03-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

the turbo overheats when the engine is running lean. the unburnt fuel is supposed to cool the turbo down, so I guess the overheated turbo is on the lean side of your engine, not on the rich side. I understand that turbo needs to be replaced, hopefully just the turbo, but I dont see the reason of the failure. why are some cylinders in your engine running lean? I dont see how could a faulty turbo cause that, if it would not supply enough air, the cylinders would run rich, than the ECU is supposed to intercept and cut the fuel down... I dont understand.

Wish U good luck.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #19
MonacoTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Monaco Blue 335 Coupe

Quote:
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem no? HPFP?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
the turbo overheats when the engine is running lean. the unburnt fuel is supposed to cool the turbo down, so I guess the overheated turbo is on the lean side of your engine, not on the rich side. I understand that turbo needs to be replaced, hopefully just the turbo, but I dont see the reason of the failure. why are some cylinders in your engine running lean? I dont see how could a faulty turbo cause that, if it would not supply enough air, the cylinders would run rich, than the ECU is supposed to intercept and cut the fuel down... I dont understand.

Wish U good luck.
Well the tech who replaced the spark plugs said the bottom half of the plug showed signs of the engine running rich, then the top half showed signs of the engine running lean. The misfires were for cylinders 1 and 3 which correspond to the front turbo. I wonder why cylinder 2 wasn't going bad as well. Oh there was also a code for super-knock in there as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoTT View Post
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem no? HPFP?
It is an 08 and supposedly has the HPFP. My SA said the HPFP wasn't throwing any codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #22
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
someone should compile a list of production dates, symptom, and tunes. We may be able to narrow down the problem.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0