F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2013 F30 Harman Kardon with Bavsound Stage 1 + Subs Upgrade - EQ Settings??
Extreme Powerhouse

04-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

2013 F30 Harman Kardon with Bavsound Stage 1 + Subs Upgrade - EQ Settings??

I have searched but found nothing. My F30 has the Harman Kardon (HK) system and I recently upgraded the speakers and subs to Bavsound products. I am not happy with the overall sound so I hope it just takes a while for the speakers to break-in. I am a little more optimistic about the subs, but for now it is hard to hear past the ear-fatiguing speakers.

So, any suggestions on EQ settings for HK+Bavsound? Prior to the upgrades I was using GlennQNYC's settings and was moderately happy with the sound. I hoped to get a lot happier after the Bavsound upgrades, as I have used their products in several previous BMWs and been very satisfied. I think I will still get there, but any recommendations on the EQ settings is appreciated. I couldn't tell you what settings I have right now because I am constantly adjusting!

Thanks.

Last edited by Cabrio330; 04-01-2016 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Bump!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

what were you expecting going from the hk to the bav?
      04-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
what were you expecting going from the hk to the bav?
Improved sound quality. Should I have expected something different? As I stated, I have experience with Bavsound upgrades in prior cars and have been very pleased. These are improving, but still not where I had hoped.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
WinterWarrior
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Amp before speakers is all i have to say
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarrior View Post
Amp before speakers is all i have to say
Me too. I think the weakest link is the amp. My previous install in my previous f30 before was better than my F30 HK now.
      04-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE YOUNG View Post
Me too. I think the weakest link is the amp. My previous install in my previous f30 before was better than my F30 HK now.
"Amp first" worked beautifully in my E92 with HiFi, but I don't think that is practical with HK systems in the F3x, or E9x for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
WinterWarrior
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

amp before speakers... period.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #9
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarrior View Post
amp before speakers... period.
Serious question - are you stating that with actual experience in upgrading F3x HK systems? Or are you just guessing?

If the former, please tell me what amp you have experience with in an HK system, and any other details that you can provide. Or point to a thread with this info, if one exists. I would genuinely appreciate it.

If the latter, please admit it so you don't send others down an unproductive path. Folks come here for advice, not mere conjecture. If you are going to post advice, it is preferred that you know what you are talking about.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #10
Roasty
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

just installed the bavsounds stage 1 + ghosts today

also on HK system.

used GlennNYC's suggested HK settings, turned off surround, and followed the bavsounds recommended adjustments (as per their email, but also dialed down the treble by one more click, to reduce sibilance, at least until they're burned in).

sounds pretty good to me. clear, with nice mids, and clean punchy bass. the seat vibrates a fair bit more now too.

overall improvement from stock HK.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #11
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
just installed the bavsounds stage 1 + ghosts today

also on HK system.

used GlennNYC's suggested HK settings, turned off surround, and followed the bavsounds recommended adjustments (as per their email, but also dialed down the treble by one more click, to reduce sibilance, at least until they're burned in).

sounds pretty good to me. clear, with nice mids, and clean punchy bass. the seat vibrates a fair bit more now too.

overall improvement from stock HK.
I didn't receive an email from bavsound with recommended adjustments. Are you able to post those adjustments here?

I had been using GlennNYC's settings prior to the upgrades.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cabrio330; 04-27-2016 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Roasty
Rep

From their email:

Have a Harman Kardon or Logic 7 system (Top HiFi)?
Set your bass to flat.

Hop into the EQ and turn off all surround functions.

If you’re using an external source for your music, make sure all EQ settings on that source are flat. If you’re using an AUX input, make sure the AUX volume on your BMW radio is set to the middle. This optimizes the signal transfer from the source to the amplifier (and ultimately out to your speakers).

Reduce your Treble setting by 2-4 "notches" or around flat, and leave "Bass" at flat.

Adjust your EQ as follows:

(NOTE: these are not "absolute" recommendations, but how much you should adjust from your "normal" settings)
80Hz / 100Hz +1 click
200Hz -2 clicks
500Hz (none)
1KHz -1 click
2 KHz -4 clicks
5 KHz -4 clicks
10 KHz -1-3 clicks"

Please take note of the highlighted part above..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #13
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
From their email:

Have a Harman Kardon or Logic 7 system (Top HiFi)?
Set your bass to flat.

Hop into the EQ and turn off all surround functions.

If you’re using an external source for your music, make sure all EQ settings on that source are flat. If you’re using an AUX input, make sure the AUX volume on your BMW radio is set to the middle. This optimizes the signal transfer from the source to the amplifier (and ultimately out to your speakers).

Reduce your Treble setting by 2-4 "notches" or around flat, and leave "Bass" at flat.

Adjust your EQ as follows:

(NOTE: these are not "absolute" recommendations, but how much you should adjust from your "normal" settings)
80Hz / 100Hz +1 click
200Hz -2 clicks
500Hz (none)
1KHz -1 click
2 KHz -4 clicks
5 KHz -4 clicks
10 KHz -1-3 clicks"

Please take note of the highlighted part above..
Thanks, Roasty! I started with GlennNYC's settings as my normal and adjusted per the bavsound email. Much better. Still tweaking a little based on source and content, but I'm happy, even impressed.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
Roasty
Rep

i tweaked the equalizer a bit. found the above settings cause the bass to be too overpowering.

maybe u can try this and see how it fairs for u? i find the following evens out the low end and minimizes harshness on the top end, and i can raise the volume up more without it getting all too congested.

these are what i have them set at (absolute settings, not adjustments from GlennNYC settings).

L7 Surround Off
Treble -4
Bass 0 or -1

100Hz 0 or +1
200Hz -4
500Hz -3
1kHz 0
2KHz -5
5 kHz -5
10 kHz -3

100 Hz 0 or +1 i find still has enough punch from the ghosts.

despite the treble and higher frequencies being set at negative values, i find these are ok because the bavsounds stage 1 are already quite bright to begin with.

let me know how u find this, if u try it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
Roasty
Rep

just an update..

i have kept all my settings unchanged, but have reduced 100Hz to -4

i find this solves a prominent bass peak, and allows me to turn up the volume higher to enjoy the mids and trebles, whilst still maintaining a good amount of bass and punchiness. the sound spectrum is much more balanced with this change and i have listened to music a fair bit on these settings and they come quite close to how i perceive music via my home audio system.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #16
Larry77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp "Ultimate Pkg"

Deleting center channel with Bavsound?

I realize this is an old thread but I'm wondering if any of you who have upgraded to Bavsound Stage 1 from H/K deleted their center channel? I unplugged it recently and the soundstage is much better and you can actually hear the intended stereo isolation in songs.

I plan on installing the Stage 1 and the new Bavsound Ghost Subs next weekend because the stock H/K system, while it does get pretty loud, sounds like it's being played in a freaking tin can and so much of the mid frequency is just plain missing.

Unfortunately there still is not an easy way to upgrade the amp in H/K f30's and according to Bimmertech there never will be. While I agree with previous posters that usually the amp is the best place to start, in our case it just isn't practical (unless you want to run all new speaker wire which I do not).

The add-a-sub system from Musicar is an interesting option if people are looking for deeper bass, pretty freaking expensive though...

http://musicarcertified.com/product/...sub-level-one/
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #17
andlloyd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry77 View Post
I realize this is an old thread but I'm wondering if any of you who have upgraded to Bavsound Stage 1 from H/K deleted their center channel? I unplugged it recently and the soundstage is much better and you can actually hear the intended stereo isolation in songs.

I plan on installing the Stage 1 and the new Bavsound Ghost Subs next weekend because the stock H/K system, while it does get pretty loud, sounds like it's being played in a freaking tin can and so much of the mid frequency is just plain missing.

Unfortunately there still is not an easy way to upgrade the amp in H/K f30's and according to Bimmertech there never will be. While I agree with previous posters that usually the amp is the best place to start, in our case it just isn't practical (unless you want to run all new speaker wire which I do not).

The add-a-sub system from Musicar is an interesting option if people are looking for deeper bass, pretty freaking expensive though...

http://musicarcertified.com/product/...sub-level-one/

This is an even older thread now - but have a new/used 2015 435i and am looking to upgrade over the HK system, which is processed and muddy sounding. I don't trust these Bavsound and Bimmertech products, are they really all that? I can buy a used Stage 1 system for about half price on Craigs List...

I don't agree amp over speakers - that's virtually never the right choice. Better speakers are what makes music sound great; the amp plays a much smaller role, and that really should be supplying clean power and no silly filters and nonsense. I don't like LogicPro or any processors to make it sound glossy - I want the original music.

How do the Ghost subs stack up? Are they worth the money? I'm interested in bass definition - crisp, tight, full sounding bass. I don't want my seat to vibrate, though I'll live with it if it does. I don't want hip hop boominess from my subs, I want full range presence and clarity.

If I can get the Stage 1 for 50% off (used), will that be a notable upgrade over the HK system? Does it play well with the HK amp? I could leave the HK amp in place, install the Stage 1, and then do the Ghost subs under seat, and call it a day at $1k. How do you like your systems this way?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #18
Larry77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp "Ultimate Pkg"

I tried the full Stage 1 and Ghost subs from Bavsound and was not happy with the bass from the Ghost subs. They definitely sounded better in the mid-range and were "tighter" I suppose but they were not as loud and did not go nearly as low as the stock underseat speakers. I've been happy with the Stage 1 speakers and stock underseats now. I still plan on getting a full system installed from MusicarNW eventually but for now this is fine. I will say it's worth it to install Dynamat type sound deadener in the sub boxes under the seat, it really tightened up the bass for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 05:27 AM   #19
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I use the BavSound Stg1 + Ghost Underseats on my HK system

Plus, I added:
  • Trunk mounted 10" JLAudio Sub (10W3v3-2)
  • JL audio 3CH amp (XD5003V2)
  • Musicar Trunk Sub Enclosure
  • Technic 'Add a sub harness with LOC/X' harness + remote gain knob

https://technicpnp.com/product/logic...harness-wlocx/

https://www.abt.com/product/82065/JL...&utm_medium=sc

https://musicarnw.com/oe-look-subwoo...-coupe-f32f82/

Technic PnP harness allows use of aftermarket amp for the sub directly to HK amp without cutting, plus if you get the correct amp and harness - it also splits out/ powers the underseats with more wattage vs HK amp. LOC/X feature means you do not have a need for separate converter & it is signal sensing instead of having to run remote power turn ON

I find with the tru trunk sub, more power to underseats, & OEM power to the remainimg BavSound speakers that the sound is greatly improved over OEM

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0