F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT retrofit questions
GetBMWParts

03-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
WL26
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G31 530XD MSport

NBT retrofit questions

Hey guys, so I'm about to embark on an NBT retrofit. Done quite a bit of reading but just had some questions on it if anyone could help-

I've noticed second hand NBT units being sold from Latvia and USA. Is there a difference in units sold in different markets? I'll be buying a unit with DAB, does the USA version work in the UK?

Is there a difference in coding required depending on what region the donor NBT unit is from?

Do the NBT2 EVO units require any different / additional coding than the original NBT units?

Emulators- I've spotted some on eBay for about £145 and some from China for a bit cheaper. Anything to look out for? Certain ones that won't work?

My car is a UK 2014 F31 with HU_Entry

From what I gather I need the following parts-

NBT Nav unit
8.8" CID screen
iDrive Controller (Touch version because my vehicle is K-CAN2)
GPS Antenna
Emulator
NBT to CID screen cable
Armrest USB to NBT cable
Microphone to NBT cable
Combox loop back cable
Relevant coding to make it all work

Anything I'm missing?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Suggest have the mods move this post to the DIY forum if I were you
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Do you really have the combox? Have you checked under the floor of your boot? If you don't then the connectors such as USB/MIC etc will go directly headunit and there will be no need to buy those additional cables.

Most of the units I've seen all have come from Europe. It doesn't matter what map you have as you can add any country, as long as you have the correct code for that map.

Personally, I would look for a HU_NBT and not the EVO unit. The NBT units you can generate your own codes for the maps, using tools on this forum. The generator for the EVO has not been released/leaked, so you'll have to buy map updates as and when.

As for the touch controller, it will work HU_NBT. If you intend on using the touch part you will also need to buy the handwriting module and splice this module under the controller.

Last bit of advice, ask the seller if the NBT has the 6NR option, thats if you want BMW Apps for things, such as Spotify/Amazon Music iDrive integration.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
WL26
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Do you really have the combox? Have you checked under the floor of your boot? If you don't then the connectors such as USB/MIC etc will go directly headunit and there will be no need to buy those additional cables.

Most of the units I've seen all have come from Europe. It doesn't matter what map you have as you can add any country, as long as you have the correct code for that map.

Personally, I would look for a HU_NBT and not the EVO unit. The NBT units you can generate your own codes for the maps, using tools on this forum. The generator for the EVO has not been released/leaked, so you'll have to buy map updates as and when.

As for the touch controller, it will work HU_NBT. If you intend on using the touch part you will also need to buy the handwriting module and splice this module under the controller.

Last bit of advice, ask the seller if the NBT has the 6NR option, thats if you want BMW Apps for things, such as Spotify/Amazon Music iDrive integration.
Thanks Kitster! I'm currently on page 55 of the 90% complete DIY NBT thread. Think I am pretty clear on almost everything now.

Yes, my car has the combox. I have coded EBT and it's working fine.

One question though, I saw you mentioned running cables from the mic down to the emulator wiring. I have a note of your connections however what happens at the mic side of things? Can you disconnect the standard cables and connect the new ones?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus Wullie
Quote:

Thanks Kitster! I'm currently on page 55 of the 90% complete DIY NBT thread. Think I am pretty clear on almost everything now.

Yes, my car has the combox. I have coded EBT and it's working fine.

One question though, I saw you mentioned running cables from the mic down to the emulator wiring. I have a note of your connections however what happens at the mic side of things? Can you disconnect the standard cables and connect the new ones?
I just went to my local dealer and brought the 3 pin male Mic connector, the part is not unique, it's a generic connector. I then ran some wires from the emulator loom. By doing it this way, you can switch back the original configuration very quickly and you don't need to mess around with existing mic.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
WL26
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I just went to my local dealer and brought the 3 pin male Mic connector, the part is not unique, it's a generic connector. I then ran some wires from the emulator loom. By doing it this way, you can switch back the original configuration very quickly and you don't need to mess around with existing mic.

Did you give them the part number? I just paid my local dealer a visit and got many blank looks. He could only find the Mic and speaker when looking on his system. Despite me showing him this picture which looks like it has a part number on it....?

Did your connector come with the metal spades inside? Or are those seperate also?

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did you give them the part number? I just paid my local dealer a visit and got many blank looks. He could only find the Mic and speaker when looking on his system. Despite me showing him this picture which looks like it has a part number on it....?

Did your connector come with the metal spades inside? Or are those seperate also?

Yeah, I'm sure I've still got the packets they came in. The packets have the ID on them.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
WL26
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure I've still got the packets they came in. The packets have the ID on them.
Ideal. Let me know the part number when you get the chance
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ideal. Let me know the part number when you get the chance
Here you go, you need the 2 pins (solder the wire to the pin) and insert into the connector, You'll find that you only need 2 pins for the MIC rather than 3.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
WL26
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Here you go, you need the 2 pins (solder the wire to the pin) and insert into the connector, You'll find that you only need 2 pins for the MIC rather than 3.
Superb! Thanks mate! NBT arriving on Friday so I'll get back down to the dealers tomorrow to get these ordered!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
WL26
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Kitster, the part number for the connector part must be incorrect. I've ordered that part at 2 different dealerships and both times they've come back with a small cable with a pin on the end (think they refer to it as a contact). The part number for the pins was correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #12
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Kitster, the part number for the connector part must be incorrect. I've ordered that part at 2 different dealerships and both times they've come back with a small cable with a pin on the end (think they refer to it as a contact). The part number for the pins was correct.
Sorry, it looks like my bags are all mixed up. The part for the little green 3 pin socket housing is 61138377072. I've checked my receipts and it looks correct. They are about 92p each (exc VAT).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #13
Jorrd93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d MSport

Quote:

Does this mean if I have no combox (HU_ENTRY) then the only physical installation will be in the controller and head-unit/screen. Everything will just plug into the NBT unit fine?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #14
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Pretty much, yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:48 AM   #15
WL26
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, it looks like my bags are all mixed up. The part for the little green 3 pin socket housing is 61138377072. I've checked my receipts and it looks correct. They are about 92p each (exc VAT).
That's it! The good old Plughousin!

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #16
WL26
Private
Scotland
Rep

Kitster, one more question-

See the pins, should it not be a female equivalent?

The connector on the mic side has male pins and it looks like my car loom connector has female sockets inside the PLUGHOUSIN.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #17
WL26
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus Wullie View Post
Kitster, one more question-

See the pins, should it not be a female equivalent?

The connector on the mic side has male pins and it looks like my car loom connector has female sockets inside the PLUGHOUSIN.
Found it!

Its this part that I need for my new wires...

Socket terminal MQS
0.2-0.35 MM²/SN
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
rkspeck33
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi - F32

Im having an issue getting the MIC to work as well. The NBT unit I bought came with a MIC Wire already ran. However, when I plug it into the MIC, they cannot hear me. Sounds like mine maybe is coding, but Im not 100% sure. I just need to get the MIC fixed.
Appreciate 0