THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum After 4 months of ownership- M235

03-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i black/black

After 4 months of ownership- M235

Purchased a lightly used 2015 M235 (8k mi) and recently took it for a long weekend drive that included freeway, mountain (Tail of the dragon) and city driving, so I'd like to share my impressions.

Before discussing the overall ownership there are a few thinks that annoy me about the car. 1) double pull on door latch to open door (yes I know you can get around this by not using self locking). 2) nanny oversight of iDrive system..."confirm", resetting drive mode every time I get in the car, etc. 3) inconvenient door pull locations. 4) lack of lsd as standard. 5) undersized tires (especially in front) limit cornering, especially with no front camber adjustment. 6) gauges - lack of temp and electrical gauges, speedo and tack are not illuminated when lights are not on, making them hard to read in the daylight especially if wearing sunglasses, 7) Nav system is not as informative as other car companies, 8) improved but imperfect iDrive system to name just a few.

Overall performance: 1) very good mid-range power and responsiveness, 2) good handling to about 7-8/10ths, then the lack of camber, lack of lsd, and small front tires limits the grip and overall cornering capabilities, 3) responsive 8 speed auto in sport or manual mode, acceptable in standard mode for general driving, but always eager to meet the task, 4) PSS non run-flat are ideally matched to the intended use for this car - sporty/comfortable daily driver with higher than normal capabilities, 5) brakes have improved after "re-bedding" process and are strong but a little soft on initial bite, 6) adaptive suspension is a nice balance btwn comfort and improved handling over std BMW suspension or for those that don't want to live with a full M sport ride.

Overall other: 1) great seating position and sport seats, easily adjustable, 2) overall size of the car makes it nimble yet flexible, 3) mixed on styling - overall like the design but some angles are unflattering (rear wheel well/fender), 4) wheels are so-so in design and are a pain to clean out recessed groves, 5) entertainment and HVAC controls are fine but radio/amp/speaker quality is lacking...expensive and challenging to upgrade, from what I've been told, 6) car feels/drives very well in daily use but as demands increase for handling/performance it can show the limitations of the car.

Weekend drive: Car is an excellent open road (interstate/hwy) cruiser. ..very good cruise control, excellent seating and settable chassis control suits those that are very connected to their car. The adaptive suspension allows the car to be "tweaked" for road conditions and road types. Eco drive is basically "worthless" IMO on the hwy. The additional gas mileage derived from ECO over standard "auto" settings in comfort or sport mode was less than 3 miles per gallon on the hwy. May be more benefit in town but I'd personally never use it bc I hate the "stop start" mode and it is soooo sluggish. When driven in the city the car works fine, easy to modulate accelerator/transmission to city conditions and the overall size is welcomed for maneuverability and parking. If you leave it in comfort mode its great, but if you like a stiffer chassis or sharper shift pattern you'll need to reset mode every time you restart the car...annoying but not insurmountable.

Where I think it shines the most is on small 2 lane roads with varying degrees of surface texture, cornering speeds, passing and a mixture of speeds. This is where the M235 really is in its glory! Passing power is a blast! The combination of the 8 speed auto in sport (or manual mode) and the mid-range power makes this car a quick and efficient tool for dealing with passing. In this type of driving the suspension, tires and stock setup is well suited to the task...it is smooth, responsive and provides confidence.

In the mountains or extremely tight cornering on surface roads the tire size (not the PSS tires) and the lack of front camber (grip) combined with no LSD makes the car edgy and loose as the limits (8/10ths) are approached plus the PSS outer edges start to suffer. The power is very good and the transmission seems to always select the right gear (Sport mode)...but it can be a little late in executing the downshift. In those cases a simple pull ( or 2) on the paddles moves you into manual mode so that you can time the very fast downshift to just when you want it. Is it a GREAT mountain car or aggressive twisty backroad car...no,..... but it is a very capable car and a well rounded driver.

I think of this car as being like the old "IS" bmw classification of yore. It is a very capable car with a very wide range of performance and practicality that is slightly set apart from the rest of the line-up without going the extra step for the more "hard core" and less flexible M series. I've owed three "M" cars and I liked them very much, and if I was going to be using the car for primarily very aggressive weekend driving/or tracking I'd choose a different weapon. The M235 is in a nice sweet spot for those people that want/must daily drive their car but want the satisfaction and enhanced performance without trading off much NVH. It is an ideal weekend "get away" car with handling and performance to match/exceed most rivals.

What I'd change/or add to make it better: 1) Improved handling - M4 LCA, LSD, performance alignment and wider tires. I wouldn't do the springs or sway bars bc it starts to tradeoff the very virtues of flexibility that I like about the car. 2) Reprogramming to overcome some of the annoying factory settings. 3) Upgrade the wheels (wider, lower weight and better styling) and possibly the brakes for better initial bite and heat resistance...less dusting would be nice too. That's about it.

Last edited by jaboyd; 03-28-2016 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

A M2 should solve your problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep

I agree. If I wanted a track toy or a weekend an M2 would be the better choice from BMW. I would be more inclined to look at other brands/options for an aggressive sports car/sedan which are more readily modded or setup from factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd
Purchased a lightly used 2015 M235 (8k mi) and recently took it for a long weekend drive that included freeway, mountain (Tail of the dragon) and city driving, so I'd like to share my impressions.

Before discussing the overall ownership there are a few thinks that annoy me about the car. 1) double pull on door latch to open door (yes I know you can get around this by not using self locking). 2) nanny oversight of iDrive system..."confirm", resetting drive mode every time I get in the car, etc. 3) inconvenient door pull locations. 4) lack of lsd as standard. 5) undersized tires (especially in front) limit cornering, especially with no front camber adjustment. 6) gauges - lack of temp and electrical gauges, speedo and tack are not illuminated when lights are not on, making them hard to read in the daylight especially if wearing sunglasses, 7) Nav system is not as informative as other car companies, 8) improved but imperfect iDrive system to name just a few.

Overall performance: 1) very good mid-range power and responsiveness, 2) good handling to about 7-8/10ths, then the lack of camber, lack of lsd, and small front tires limits the grip and overall cornering capabilities, 3) responsive 8 speed auto in sport or manual mode, acceptable in standard mode for general driving, but almost eager to meet the task, 4) PSS non run-flat are ideally matched to the intended use for this car - sporty/comfortable daily driver with higher than normal capabilities, 5) brakes have improved after "re-bedding" process and are strong but a little soft on initial bite, 6) adaptive suspension is a nice balance btwn comfort and improved handling over std BMW suspension or for those that don't want to live with a full M sport ride.

Overall other: 1) great seating position and sport seats, easily adjustable, 2) overall size of the car makes it nimble yet flexible, 3) mixed on styling - overall like the design but some angles are unflattering (rear wheel well/fender), 4) wheels are so-so in design and are a pain to clean out recessed groves, 5) entertainment and HVAC controls are fine but radio/amp/speaker quality is lacking...expensive and challenging to upgrade, from what I've been told, 6) car feels/drives very well in daily use but as demands increase for handling/performance it can show the limitations of the car.

Weekend drive: Car is an excellent open road (interstate/hwy) cruiser. ..very good cruise control, excellent seating and settable chassis control suits those that are very connected to their car. The adaptive suspension allows the car to be "tweaked" for road conditions and road types. Eco drive is basically "worthless" IMO on the hwy. The additional gas mileage derived from ECO over standard "auto" settings in comfort or sport mode was less than 3 miles per gallon on the hwy. May be more benefit in town but I'd personally never use it bc I hate the "stop start" mode and it is soooo sluggish. When driven in the city the car works fine, easy to modulate accelerator/transmission to city conditions and the overall size is welcomed for maneuverability and parking. If you leave it in comfort mode its great, but if you like a stiffer chassis or sharper shift pattern you'll need to reset mode every time you restart the car...annoying but not insurmountable.

Where I think it shines the most is on small 2 lane roads with varying degrees of surface texture, cornering speeds, passing and a mixture of speeds. This is where the M235 really is in its glory! Passing power is a blast! The combination of the 8 speed auto in sport (or manual mode) and the mid-range power makes this car a quick and efficient tool for dealing with passing. In this type of driving the suspension, tires and stock setup is well suited to the task...it is smooth, responsive and provides confidence.

In the mountains or extremely tight cornering on surface roads the tire size (not the PSS tires) and the lack of front camber (grip) combined with no LSD makes the car edgy and loose as the limits (8/10ths) are approached plus the PSS outer edges start to suffer. The power is very good and the transmission seems to always select the right gear (Sport mode)...but it can be a little late in executing the downshift. In those cases a simple pull ( or 2) on the paddles moves you into manual mode so that you can time the very fast downshift to just when you want it. Is it a GREAT mountain car or aggressive twisty backroad car...no,..... but it is a very capable car and a well rounded driver.

I think of this car as being like the old "IS" bmw classification of yore. It is a very capable car with a very wide range of performance and practicality that is slightly set apart from the rest of the line-up without going the extra step for the more "hard core" and less flexible M series. I've owed three "M" cars and I liked them very much, and if I was going to be using the car for primarily very aggressive weekend driving/or tracking I'd choose a different weapon. The M235 is in a nice sweet spot for those people that want/must daily drive their car but want the satisfaction and enhanced performance without trading off much NVH. It is an ideal weekend "get away" car with handling and performance to match/exceed most rivals.

What I'd change/or add to make it better: 1) Improved handling - M4 LCA, LSD, performance alignment and wider tires. I wouldn't do the springs or sway bars bc it starts to tradeoff the very virtues of flexibility that I like about the car. 2) Reprogramming to overcome some of the annoying factory settings. 3) Upgrade the wheels (wider, lower weight and better styling) and possibly the brakes for better initial bite and heat resistance...less dusting would be nice too. That's about it.
Couldn't agree more! I have an M5, M4 and dedicated E36 track car. This car fits perfectly in the middle for DD and big grins and stress free parking. Dinan stage 2 added a few more grins. I don't drive more than 8/10ths on the street so me likey and passing on the M2.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
tbonez3858
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Good review...The M235i isnt a track car that is for sure. The limitations of this car are so far beyond the legal limits of public roads it isnt funny, however.

The M235i is probably my favorite car that I've owned. I do miss feel the sensation of speed and driver input of a slower car at lower speeds... I would have to get into ludicrous ticket territory to feel like Im pushing the car so I end up yawning on curvy roads...

This car has me wanting a slower car (Miata) for weekend canyon carving rather than a faster car....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonez3858 View Post
Good review...The M235i isnt a track car that is for sure. The limitations of this car are so far beyond the legal limits of public roads it isnt funny, however.

The M235i is probably my favorite car that I've owned. I do miss feel the sensation of speed and driver input of a slower car at lower speeds... I would have to get into ludicrous ticket territory to feel like Im pushing the car so I end up yawning on curvy roads...

This car has me wanting a slower car (Miata) for weekend canyon carving rather than a faster car....
Your last point is an interesting one. I don't know whether it is a slower car or one in which you're more involved. I sold a wonderful low mileage 2007 S2000 to get the M235. The S2000 is much more "raw" and involving, which is fine for a short weekend drive....but for longer drives it is a lot less enjoyable. So for a weekend sprint or short drive car the S2000 (or Miata) is fun! The spouse really loves the M235 and at best tolerated the S2000 for a 2-3 hr ride, anything more than that became less tolerable. She actually enjoys driving the M235, not so with the S2000.

In my case, one of my other cars is a modified 2011 STI for the aggressive "hair on fire" weekend drives. It is raw, fast and an absolute blast...more grip than M235 and about the same zero - sixty times. And NO wife does not like to ride in this car...but now she has the M235 when she wants it....perfect!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Nice write up jaboyd!

I agree with you guys on how difficult it is to feel like you're pushing the car on public roads and how great a car it is even on long trips and bumpy roads.

In my experience it holds its own on the track too. I can't believe how nice it rides, yet how fast of laps it puts down.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonez3858 View Post
Good review...The M235i isnt a track car that is for sure.
Can you explain your point here tbonez?

I drove a 2005 Mustang GT at HPDE events for 8 years, and it served me very well, teaching me the basics of performance driving. That car was stock other than Hawk HPS brake pads and ATE Super Blue fluid, and it never had a single issue ever, on the track or off. I had the thing up to 130 mph at Watkins Glen, so it was no slouch either.

But the M235i is much more capable on the track than that Mustang from what I experienced last August at Palmer Motorsports Park in MA. My 2 Series is stock too, so not sure where you're coming from?
      03-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
tbonez3858
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Can you explain your point here tbonez?

I drove a 2005 Mustang GT at HPDE events for 8 years, and it served me very well, teaching me the basics of performance driving. That car was stock other than Hawk HPS brake pads and ATE Super Blue fluid, and it never had a single issue ever, on the track or off. I had the thing up to 130 mph at Watkins Glen, so it was no slouch either.

But the M235i is much more capable on the track than that Mustang from what I experienced last August at Palmer Motorsports Park in MA. My 2 Series is stock too, so not sure where you're coming from?
Good question...I will preference my response with stating the world doesnt revolve around me and my opinion may be different than yours.

The M235i is a car I wouldnt pick as a track car. This is for numerous reasons from cost of operation, cost of upgrade, lack of aggressiveness in the area of suspension, brake challenges, Turbo engine, lack of feedback from the tires, etc.....The car can make a good track car but its not a track car I would pick or enjoy grinding out lap after lap especially in terms of the cost of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

That was a really solid review. I've had my M235i for a little over a month and it's just right for me. My previous car was a 2014 Evo X and I never pushed the car that hard. On roads I've driven both cars, at the level at drive at; the M235i performed just as well as the Evo. Having said that, in curves the Evo felt like it could do more if it had to. That car clawed it's way out of corners.

What I like about the M235i is it's easy to just cruise along in traffic or get on it if you need to. It's a nice overall driving car. It also has a lot of little nice things about it, compared to my Evo.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
tbonez3858
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
That was a really solid review. I've had my M235i for a little over a month and it's just right for me. My previous car was a 2014 Evo X and I never pushed the car that hard. On roads I've driven both cars, at the level at drive at; the M235i performed just as well as the Evo. Having said that, in curves the Evo felt like it could do more if it had to. That car clawed it's way out of corners.

What I like about the M235i is it's easy to just cruise along in traffic or get on it if you need to. It's a nice overall driving car. It also has a lot of little nice things about it, compared to my Evo.

Great follow up...Its the best and most fun DD I've ever owned. I wouldnt trade it for an M2 or a GT350 for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #12
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post

M235 is definitely a step or two up from the EVO in all of the creature comforts, sophistication and daily driving. When it comes to performance the EVO is a wonderful car if you like the power delivery and can tolerate the sub- 3k rpm turbo lag. But powering out of a corner or pure cornering grip the EVO is a gem.

The M235 is simply a few 10ths behind the EVO in pure performance but so much more sophisticated, flexible, and higher quality. I like EVOS but they are challenging to live with on a day to day basis. Track car ....give me the EVO. AUTOX car....give me the EVO. For everything else give me the BMW.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd View Post
M235 is definitely a step or two up from the EVO in all of the creature comforts, sophistication and daily driving. When it comes to performance the EVO is a wonderful car if you like the power delivery and can tolerate the sub- 3k rpm turbo lag. But powering out of a corner or pure cornering grip the EVO is a gem.

The M235 is simply a few 10ths behind the EVO in pure performance but so much more sophisticated, flexible, and higher quality. I like EVOS but they are challenging to live with on a day to day basis. Track car ....give me the EVO. AUTOX car....give me the EVO. For everything else give me the BMW.
I agree. If I had known about the M235i in 2014 when I bought my Evo X, I would have got that instead. I had an E36 M3, but had lost track of the newer bimmers. Some things are similar but they've improved on a lot of stuff also. One of the things that bothered me me about the Evo is it only had 5 gears in the manual. It really revved high and I was always cruising at 3500 to 4000 RPM's without even going really fast. It really needed a 6th gear IMO.

If I had to do it all over again, leaving out the fact that I would have got an M235i instead; I would have bought a loaded MR instead of a GSR. The M235i has all the stuff I wanted in the Evo X and then some.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 05:48 PM   #14
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd View Post
1) double pull on door latch to open door (yes I know you can get around this by not using self locking).
2) nanny oversight of iDrive system..."confirm", resetting drive mode every time I get in the car, etc.
Not a bad right up and I agree with most. As for the two comments above, $40 would fix both of those if you have a laptop. The coding software is free, the USB dongle is about $30 on ebay, and about another $5 or so for a key to unlock full use of the software. I found it fun to learn, others may not, but I have been able to help others code as well, which is always cool.

"out of the box", I would say the M235 is pretty nice, but not quite the perfect BMW package. As you mentioned, a few small changes would have changed everything (and almost negated the eventual M2). I think BMW knew that as well, so we got the 'just enough' 2er, without damaging future M2 sales.... sadly. I plan on keeping my eye out for a totaled M2 to grab some easy swaps off of it - primarily the interior (love the blue stitching), and maybe some of the CF trim. The rest we can either buy already or just will not fit (rear valance/exhaust, which is oh so sexy).