BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Auto-Hold for quick take off

While I was trying out the auto hold function to see how well it works, one of the tests I did was to come to a complete stop (was in sport or sport+ not sure) and slammed on the gas. I was trying to see if it would slow down the car and have it take-off sluggishly. But it reacted well and instantly released the brake and the car took off beautifully.

A few days ago I tried launch control for the first time since I have done over 2,000 kms and it was super fun and quick, but the more I think back, the more I get the impression from my butt dyno that it actually took off better/quicker just slamming down on the throttle while using auto hold.

I haven’t had the chance to try it out again to compare and in any case I would only be comparing butt dyno figures as I don’t have anything to properly measure the accelerations.

Has anyone else tried this?
Try it out if you can with your X4 and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
GG
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
ahfa1987
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i Carbon Black

Hey gg, sorry but I have been trying to ask what this auto hold on/off function is... Is it something we can manually control and turn on and off? If so how do we do that and what does it do?
'13 Mercedes Benz C-350 Opal Red GONE
'16 BMW x4 M40i Carbon Black W/ Mocha INT Current!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfa1987 View Post
Hey gg, sorry but I have been trying to ask what this auto hold on/off function is... Is it something we can manually control and turn on and off? If so how do we do that and what does it do?
You have a button right next to the electronic parking break that you have to activate each time you start the car to enable it.

What it does is every time you come to a stop, it will automatically apply the parking break to hold the car still. You can let go of the brake and the car won't move. It will automatically release the brake once you step on the gas.

I guess if you constantly drive in stop and go traffic it can be useful, but that is not my case. I tried it out for an evening and I could get used to it but I don't really want to get in the habit of letting go of the brake when I am stopped.

When you set the transmission to park, it will also automatically set the parking break and the light will toggle back to the red parking break light instead of the green auto hold one. Then if you want to drive again, it won't automatically change back to auto hold, you have to push it again.

GG
Appreciate 0